2020 Kentucky Derby

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Kentucky Derby

Post by Louise Bayou »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago
Louise Bayou wrote: 3 years ago I'm a Derby winning owner! And I had another colt win at Del Mar! It's been a dang good day!
Are you in on Tizamagician as well? He went sooooo much better under DVD! I hope that's a sign of good things to come.
I am and you are very correct! LOVE the jock and trip change with him. I've never been a Victor fan so any change from him makes me happy honestly. But Drayden did a fantastic job with him! I'm hopeful he will be riding him from now on. As a Tiznow I have always expected him to get better with age nice that he is actually doing it.lol I'm also in on Lane Way and Moonlight D'oro who are with Richard as well as a few others.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago You don't get any money back and your "share" works out to be about a single hair, but you get special updates and videos and the ability to say you own a share of a horse like this. Nice people run it... when they aren't stealing my photos, ha.
I've made a little money back. They pay a dividend after each race, so long as the horse's account still has enough for his expenses. I've gotten about $70 back in total so far on $800 so it isn't much.
[/quote]

I specifically meant on Authentic re: money back, because of all the kickers. But in theory as a stallion it'll go the other way!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I honestly bought into Authentic because I had started following him the day he broke his maiden so to own even a hair of a horse I had been a big fan of, seemed like a rare opportunity! Plus, he is quite handsome!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Nena Olson wrote: 3 years ago I honestly bought into Authentic because I had started following him the day he broke his maiden so to own even a hair of a horse I had been a big fan of, seemed like a rare opportunity! Plus, he is quite handsome!
I have a A pull from Secretariat’s tail I got around 1983 when visiting Claiborne. Ultimate grouping of hairs from my all-time favorite horse.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Nick Gilmore wrote: 3 years ago
Regina Moore wrote: 3 years ago

Sent you a private message.
I’m sure many of us would like to hear that story. I’ve never been this close to Derby winning owners! Very exciting!
There are 5-6 SIMsters who have bought in on My Racehorse horses. It's micro shares of a racehorse around $200 a pop, and they offer anything from unraced horses to horses already stakes winners. You don't get any money back and your "share" works out to be about a single hair, but you get special updates and videos and the ability to say you own a share of a horse like this. Nice people run it... when they aren't stealing my photos, ha.
Thank you, it sounds fun! They need to learn about copyright infringement tho, lol.
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dan Gordon »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago You don't get any money back and your "share" works out to be about a single hair, but you get special updates and videos and the ability to say you own a share of a horse like this. Nice people run it... when they aren't stealing my photos, ha.
I've made a little money back. They pay a dividend after each race, so long as the horse's account still has enough for his expenses. I've gotten about $70 back in total so far on $800 so it isn't much.
I specifically meant on Authentic re: money back, because of all the kickers. But in theory as a stallion it'll go the other way!
[/quote]

Honest question here. Do you get a feel that they are being very fair on what the expenses are? I'm in real estate so I'm suspicious of the games. Are they putting fixed expenses in there? HIgh Salaries? Heavy management fee? I always feel queasy that expenses just come up when there is revenue to glom on to.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Dan Gordon wrote: 3 years ago
Honest question here. Do you get a feel that they are being very fair on what the expenses are? I'm in real estate so I'm suspicious of the games. Are they putting fixed expenses in there? HIgh Salaries? Heavy management fee? I always feel queasy that expenses just come up when there is revenue to glom on to.
[/quote]

Besides the initial investment we owe nothing. They are very upfront about fees etc. With Authentic it was in black and white what would happen so nobody was surprised. When he was offered up it said very plainly what the kickers were that would affect any payout. For me its all about fun. If someone joins thinking they are gonna get rich they are crazy. I spent my younger years at the barn with my mom working my butt off so being able to spend a few bucks and enjoy the easy side of the industry is a treat. Did it suck to not make any money with the Derby win? Yea it did BUT it was spelled out in black and white for anyone/everyone to see.

For me the money I'm spending is my play money. Its money that I would otherwise spend and never know where the heck it went.lol And I can promise you, I got $200 worth of entertainment watching the stretch run in that race and saying I own a Kentucky Derby winner!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I agree that this group is very transparent about finances. Other partnerships charge much higher fees in my experience.

They can be tempted to rush a young horse. I have 4 fillies with them also, and people are always clamoring for the mgmt to enter them in G1 stakes before they even break their maidens. I come at this from the breeding side of the business and this drives me absolutely crazy. If you ever want to see me do head spins and froth at the mouth, just talk about pushing a well-bred young horse. I know what it takes to get them to their 2yo year in the first place, and what it means to the breeder for that mare's offspring to get a fair shot. Part of the partnership experience is putting up with 3000 other owners, most with no horse experience. But if you can put up with that, it's a fun deal.
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

I used to be in on something like this here in norway but the horse was not all that good but it was fun the one year it lasted
and I would do it again in a heartbeat if offered