Purses For Next Year

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Purses For Next Year

Post by Danny Derby »

While I won't argue for a second that most of these reductions are necessary, seeing the Arc and SC Classic being reduced just hurts. These are the two premiere races in the world and should clearly stand above the rest. Hope you reconsider and keep those two where they were.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: Purses For Next Year

Post by Gwayne's World »

Agreed!
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Maybe it's because I don't run routers but as a mixer trainer seeing stallion prospects struggling to hit the $350k cutoff potentially inpart due to the removal of the small subset of $65,000 stakes available to mixers I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for races cut to a purse of "only" 5 million.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

Money is about to mean nothing in this game with the steward breds being taking away so really purses can be $100 and it will not matter everything else will adjust like stud fees and I personally think DR and TR race for way too much money compared to other divisions . Yes I know purses are meant to reflect real life but this is a game you have average dr make 3 mill and yet that would be an amazing miler or ds etc
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Where do we read about the purse reductions?
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Nowhere, you can search those races up and they show a purse decrease. For example, the Arc was at $6 million in recent years and is now at $5 million. The Melbourne Trophy went from $3 million to $1.5 million.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Check the stakes schedule for Year 57
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Xander Zone wrote: 3 years ago Money is about to mean nothing in this game with the steward breds being taking away so really purses can be $100 and it will not matter everything else will adjust like stud fees and I personally think DR and TR race for way too much money compared to other divisions . Yes I know purses are meant to reflect real life but this is a game you have average dr make 3 mill and yet that would be an amazing miler or ds etc
The overall possible purse earnings is comparable with each division. That includes the crazy purses of the big router races.
;p
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Wow...the Melbourne Trophy sure took a huge hit.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago
Xander Zone wrote: 3 years ago Money is about to mean nothing in this game with the steward breds being taking away so really purses can be $100 and it will not matter everything else will adjust like stud fees and I personally think DR and TR race for way too much money compared to other divisions . Yes I know purses are meant to reflect real life but this is a game you have average dr make 3 mill and yet that would be an amazing miler or ds etc
The overall possible purse earnings is comparable with each division. That includes the crazy purses of the big router races.
Andrew, did you do the numbers on this? I'm interested to see how the divisions pan out. My guess is that means there are tons more low level/claimer races for divisions like dirt mile and dirt sprint than dirt route, although I wonder how much that is affected by 2 year old races where they can start earlier than routers. And I'm curious about how All Weather compares.

However, it does bring up a question around the big router races. If to be able to make comparable winnings in other divisions means you have to run a ton more horses, since to get to 'comparable overall purses' you need to be mopping up a bundle of low level races, what is the associated cost against purse opportunity at the stable level? And, to look at it another way, is the potential purse earning per horse comparable across divisions? My guess is it isn't, although I don't know if I care or not (yet). That said, if you have a cup-quality 3yo colt that's a dirt sprinter, in week 16 you have one shot at a $3,000,000 purse ($2,000,000 if you run a miler and even less if you are on AW). If you have a cup quality dirt router 3yo colt, there's a max purse of $5,000,000.

My only real frustration with purse changes has been the gap between maiden and stakes races. If you have a decent maiden, you run for $25,000. Once your horse breaks its maiden, you can hope it's stakes quality and chase those $50,000 listed purses, or you drop back to NW races at $10-15,000. It's frustrating that the bulk of those so hard to win NW races are worth about half the maiden races. If I have horses that are decent but not stakes quality, it's better to retire them after they break their maiden than keep slogging away trying to get on the board in stacked NW races for small money.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Image credit Mara Jane Vess

These numbers are averages of all races for the sim year. They don’t reflect the Stakes purses or earnings potential for just one horse.

Numbers do not include sponsored stakes
;p
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

Props to Marandrew on the awesome research!
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

But if for example there are only 2 G1's in A/W but 20 in DR the averages don't mean a lot. What are the actual totals of purses available in each division?
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Courtesy of the same sheet

If you simply add up the number of races and multiply by the averages it comes out to these numbers, approximate to actual total. It's like work, but not a big deal.

If you look with you eyes, it's like "woah! look at the differences!"
If you read in to it, averages matter. You want more volume.
;p
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Post by Paul Sellers »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago You want more volume.
Try turning it to 11.
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy