meaning of late bloomer

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

meaning of late bloomer

Post by LA Pepper »

What does 'late bloomer' really mean ?? Most forum posts seem to suggest it means the horse will go up in ability. I wonder if if could mean it will take longer for the horse to reach his gallop ability??
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: meaning of late bloomer

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I believe both are correct. Sorry
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Post by Jack Christensen »

According to the steward, late bloomer means the horse will always improve. My experience with late bloomers is consistent with Nick's. It seems like when I have a late bloomer they don't really get going until they improve. Then they seem to launch ahead of the competition that formally could compete with that horse.
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

:roll: the concept in which I have believed I have no basis that is true is the following

LB the horse will jump off his gallop tag Allownace> Stakes

Progressive the horse reaching its maximum potential Allowance> Allowance Peak

and Peak that is already at the top of its claimer label (the maximum of claimer) I do not know if Progressive or Peak can jump from claimer to Allowance Stakes, or more

but I think the LB if they can do it is my belief about the gallops

I would also like to know what is the true concept of each of these types of gallops, and how they are handled with quality, and the label :roll:
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

So , in trying to be more clear - is the meaning of a LB stks possibly imply the horse starts out running like a 'productive career' until it has more experience or age to finally run like a stakes at whatever level of stakes it was destined to be - - at which time it is PEAK Ie it does not jump UP past the level its gallop said it was, it just finally gets to that level. Oh dear - this is not clear at all - sorry.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

A non precocious type runner. One who stands a greater chance of a gallop improvement with age. IMO?
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I think a late stakes starts as stakes and will improve further from there when it finally reaches its peak level.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I think it all depends on the horse, but a Late-Bloomer Stakes should generally improve to be either a higher level Stakes, or a Freak. Late Bloomers, as far as I know, can only improve up from their current ability. In my experience so far, late-bloomers also seem to run like total poo until they reach peak. That might not be the case for every horse though, you could have a Stakes Late Bloomer who runs like a stakes horse and then just gets better once it hits peak. You're really not going to know which type you have until you run it.

Also, the length of time from "Late Bloomer" to "Peak" seems to vary from horse to horse. I had one jump to peak Week 9 of her two year old season, whereas I have one that just turned three and she's still not Peak.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

I believe Lily is correct as I have experienced both side of the coin
I have had late bloomers that in the words of Lily ran like poo until they improved but also horses than ran with the best even before the change

some examples

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1146965 she was freak late bloomer but clearly ran to her freak comment early and her lone loss as a 2 year old came after she improved w9 but she only ran one race before she improved so hard to say how good she was before improvement

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1110583 he was stakes late bloomer who also ran good early on but also improved w9 and turned freak and his numbers did get somewhat better after

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1195776 here is one that was allowance late bloomer that indeed ran like poo but then improved w9 and beame stakes gallopper

The thing that struck me is that their sf did not just improve right after the comment changed which leads me to believe that it is a process and even after the horse peaks and the gallopp comment changes they wont jut run up to its new comment right away it seems it needs one or two races before it has caught up with its new comment or that is what I believe anyways

And when it comes to the comments itself I believe

LB : Yes the horse will always improve a lot and most times improve enough that the gallopp comment will improve as well but in some instances the horse will still improve a lot but not enough that the comment improves This will usually be when the horrses ccurrent level is very low on its current gallopp comment
Progressive : The Horse will still improve but most times not enough so that the galopp comment improves but the horse still should be betterr than before and in some rare examples the galopp comment improves most likely if the horse was at a very high end of its previous comment
and I believe where its level is on its ccurrent comment is what decides whether a horse is poo or not as an lb or even progressive
So an stakes lb that runs well will be at a high enough level that when he peaks will always improve its comment when it peaks and even one at a lower level will most of the time improve if it is an lb
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

this is what I believe:
LB : will reach its best potential later in racing career. "Later in racing career" probably means different time frames in sprinters vs routers or even in individual horses. Doesnt mean they can't earn anything until then depending on its quality, as long as you dont ruin its con fidence before reaching its best .
Progressives : need to learn from experience, time and build up confidence. Thats why you need to start early and these horses will do better using their conditions (NW2, NW3, etc before attacking the big horses.
Peak : if ability is on a bell curve, the horse is at the top of the bell curve. If its a flat curve, it stays good for a while, if its a sharp curve, he's going downhill quickly. But once peak is reached he aint getting any better. Unless, and this could happen at ay time, the computer picks him to have one of those amazing jumps in ability that occur just like the computer picking one to injure.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Ollie Wolf was a freak late bloomer but her only SC was as a 2yo, so whatever that means.. I thought late bloomer freak would mean more than it did, but nope, another Potion Melody, same thing, late bloomer freak but I saw little difference. A stakes late bloomer, did become freak and ran ok at stakes but definitely improved at the gallop change dr estimate.. Ypsirk was a different horse when her gallop changed but that was before the added comments.. another stakes late bloomer, upped to freak 2nd half of last year, but showed little improvement, and sure enough the new scale dropped her back down to stakes..