Random Question on Improvers

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Random Question on Improvers

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Tossing this out there to the rest of the SIM community. So, every year, Week 10, the 2yo thoroughbred routers debut, and there's always a few dirt/turf routers that pop up and run a 90+ SF despite having, pre-debut, a gallop that doesn't reflect that (and when galloped later, the horse did in fact, improve). But we don't usually see that in other divisions, or other breeds. Maybe it is happening, but doesn't get the same attention, or maybe those horses get banished to AJ before they ever debut, which skews the perception, but I can't think of other divisions/breeds where this happens as regularly. If someone has an example, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Random Question on Improvers

Post by Dave Trainer »

Could this be because the other divisions all debut before week 9 improvements? I've seen sprinters improve week 9 going by SF and grade they run in but I rarely gallop to find out if the gallop rating has changed.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 3 years ago Tossing this out there to the rest of the SIM community. So, every year, Week 10, the 2yo thoroughbred routers debut, and there's always a few dirt/turf routers that pop up and run a 90+ SF despite having, pre-debut, a gallop that doesn't reflect that (and when galloped later, the horse did in fact, improve). But we don't usually see that in other divisions, or other breeds. Maybe it is happening, but doesn't get the same attention, or maybe those horses get banished to AJ before they ever debut, which skews the perception, but I can't think of other divisions/breeds where this happens as regularly. If someone has an example, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!
Great point, anecdotally I don't think I've had any milers or sprinters that have had a first race improvement. Had plent that changed after week 9 but none that randomly spiked week 1 or 7. I've had 2 or 3 routers do so week 10 though.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Not a perfect example, because I didn't regallop week 9, but it's possible...

Soft Eyes galloped W8 D2 and was an Allowance, then ran a 93 SF in his first race.
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I have had improvers after WK9 in sprinters and milers, as I'm sure all of us have.

The only one that comes to mind that may have improved after her first race is https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1172647.
She was an Allowance/LB YR 54, and at WK2 in YR 55.

Her first race she ran a 77 (WK 8 D5); her second race she ran an 85 (WK10 D5) and never looked back. I did re-gallop her Preseason YR56, and she was a Stakes.

However, I do not know if she really improved after her first race, or if it was a WK9 improvement.

Like Dave said, since sprinters and milers debut before the WK9 improvements, I believe first race improvers are kind of "under the radar", especially milers, as they normally only get one, maybe two races before the WK9 improvements.

I guess if I had one that ran say a 79 in the first race and then ran a 95 in the second race, I would sit up and take notice.

I think first race improvements happen in sprinters and milers. I just don't think they are as common or as obvious as the routers.
Sorry for the muddled thoughts.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

An example I saw this morning, this horse jumped hard today, even though he was pretty good already, he jumped to SUPER freak - you wouldn't normally expect this kind of debut.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1256181
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago An example I saw this morning, this horse jumped hard today, even though he was pretty good already, he jumped to SUPER freak - you wouldn't normally expect this kind of debut.

Omg. He was all ROFL, BYE!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Rising star should be an easy choice for the Edge.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Whoa.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Brian Leavitt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brian Leavitt »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago An example I saw this morning, this horse jumped hard today, even though he was pretty good already, he jumped to SUPER freak - you wouldn't normally expect this kind of debut.

And suddenly I'm very glad that none of my nice 2yo turf sprinters are colts lmao
I have a stable full of cats
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Dave Trainer wrote: 3 years ago Rising star should be an easy choice for the Edge.
Unfortunately we only do maiden winners, not stakes winners ;-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Brian Leavitt wrote: 3 years ago

And suddenly I'm very glad that none of my nice 2yo turf sprinters are colts lmao
Right?! 😂 sad that Dash will likely have to face him next year though 😂
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Chris Barber
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Chris Barber »

Pretty sure this was a week 1 improver as well....
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1207377
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Whoa! Excellent counter point.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Chris Barber wrote: 3 years ago Pretty sure this was a week 1 improver as well....
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1207377
Great find! I forgot that one!