Confused

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Re: Confused

Post by Lori Hamill »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago
Those are great, just 1718 miles shipping. Without FCS I’m afraid he’d be pretty wiped. Not much within a thousand miles for several that I have and there were always choices late last year. I’m trying to ask about patterns like maybe not much in the North because it’s supposed to be “January” maybe? Same for TP, where there were usually races for most divisions most weeks mid-year, or so it seemed. Should I move allowance/ low stakes horses to Midwest and give up on TP/JR High?

I’m sorry if I’m not making sense. My head is a little word-salady today.
So sorry, I thought he was at Peyto, or at least in the USA. I see now you didn't really mention where he was stabled at. It was your filly that is at Peyto.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Lori Hamill wrote: 3 years ago
Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago
Those are great, just 1718 miles shipping. Without FCS I’m afraid he’d be pretty wiped. Not much within a thousand miles for several that I have and there were always choices late last year. I’m trying to ask about patterns like maybe not much in the North because it’s supposed to be “January” maybe? Same for TP, where there were usually races for most divisions most weeks mid-year, or so it seemed. Should I move allowance/ low stakes horses to Midwest and give up on TP/JR High?

I’m sorry if I’m not making sense. My head is a little word-salady today.
So sorry, I thought he was at Peyto, or at least in the USA. I see now you didn't really mention where he was stabled at. It was your filly that is at Peyto.
The ones I am having challenges finding races for are all at Peyto near Calgary, Alberta. So TN is 1700 miles, SoCal about 1000, etc. I'm also trying to ask a bigger question about Trial Park/Jr High race conditions and about how to tell what other tracks will be open, and when. And I am making an absolute mess of it, so I am going to give up.
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

IMO, you're better of shipping the horse the long distance in order to get your horse to a circuit where they will be able to run. It's a long way, maybe tiring, and expensive for that one-time shipping but at least they will have close races to run in the rest of the year.
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago how to tell what other tracks will be open, and when
You can see which tracks race on a specific day using the circuits page.
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 40k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 20k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 7.5k
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Ok the circuits page is a big help. Is there a guide to the tracks, as in what they typically card, or if I use the "search" feature for past meets is that a good predictor of the kinds of racing each track offers? I've used the stakes calendar before when the horse was stakes quality, but not sure how to get a feel for what allowance conditions are offered where if they aren't yet carded or how consistent tracks are in their offerings year-to-year?

As for Brandon's comment, 100% agree the horses need to go where there are conditions. But last year I got some pretty hard scolding for not staying at TP when eligible (which I still am) and assume it will be the same for Jr High when I graduate next month. Peyto worked because there were conditions at TP, and if not there was often something at the other Canadian or NW USA tracks within less than 800 miles shipping. So you could catch a race at Price Is Right if there was nothing at TP, and then race next time out at TP if the conditions were there. There are big gaps now, and I am trying to understand if:

1) that is a fluke
2) if it is routine because some tracks are dormant part of the season, or
3) if it is a managed effort to try to get allowance/stakes quality horses away from TP and JR High to make it less tough on incoming new players.

This will help because if it is #1 then my horses should probably stay put. If it is #3 they really need to move ASAP. If #2, well that's one to consider and will depend on whether the horse is leased and how dependent I feel it is on restricted company. And the whole paragraph at the top of this response is about deciding where to park a horse when you aren't racing at TP any longer, nor targeting a particular series of stakes races.

Maybe that was better. I should have asked my first question differently, it was really "why can't my older horses be based at Peyto and still have a season" question that has morphed into "ok, how do I research where else to send them?"

Thanks again
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Even though it is 1700 miles it is only 6 hours by plane which I don't think is too bad for recovery time. I always liked to stay at 5 hours or under but would consider 6 if there was nowhere else and there was enough time for the horse to recover. I don't know how expensive that is though.

Just in case this might help you with maybe two of your horses:
https://www.simhorseracing.com//race.php?RaceID=1626592
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Lori Hamill wrote: 3 years ago Even though it is 1700 miles it is only 6 hours by plane which I don't think is too bad for recovery time. I always liked to stay at 5 hours or under but would consider 6 if there was nowhere else and there was enough time for the horse to recover. I don't know how expensive that is though.

Just in case this might help you with maybe two of your horses:
https://www.simhorseracing.com//race.php?RaceID=1626592
That was really sweet, thank you!
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago Ok the circuits page is a big help. Is there a guide to the tracks, as in what they typically card, or if I use the "search" feature for past meets is that a good predictor of the kinds of racing each track offers? I've used the stakes calendar before when the horse was stakes quality, but not sure how to get a feel for what allowance conditions are offered where if they aren't yet carded or how consistent tracks are in their offerings year-to-year?

As for Brandon's comment, 100% agree the horses need to go where there are conditions. But last year I got some pretty hard scolding for not staying at TP when eligible (which I still am) and assume it will be the same for Jr High when I graduate next month. Peyto worked because there were conditions at TP, and if not there was often something at the other Canadian or NW USA tracks within less than 800 miles shipping. So you could catch a race at Price Is Right if there was nothing at TP, and then race next time out at TP if the conditions were there. There are big gaps now, and I am trying to understand if:

1) that is a fluke
2) if it is routine because some tracks are dormant part of the season, or
3) if it is a managed effort to try to get allowance/stakes quality horses away from TP and JR High to make it less tough on incoming new players.

This will help because if it is #1 then my horses should probably stay put. If it is #3 they really need to move ASAP. If #2, well that's one to consider and will depend on whether the horse is leased and how dependent I feel it is on restricted company. And the whole paragraph at the top of this response is about deciding where to park a horse when you aren't racing at TP any longer, nor targeting a particular series of stakes races.

Maybe that was better. I should have asked my first question differently, it was really "why can't my older horses be based at Peyto and still have a season" question that has morphed into "ok, how do I research where else to send them?"

Thanks again
I think, with the caveat that Trial Park and Junior High came into being after I started playing the SIM, that certain divisions are underrepresented at those two tracks - turf miler I believe is one of them. I looked at it only in the context of what horses might help a player at those two tracks. Dirt route seems to be the most predominant type of race carded there. So, depending on the division, you may need to ship them away.

To answer one of your questions, I'd say 95% of the non-stakes races are the same from year to year. So, you can pull up a card from last year, and that should be the same. There's been some tweaks to the purses, but the conditions would be the same. The 5% covers situations where (i) if a race drew no entries, it tends to drop off the following year, (ii) player-sponsored races are one and done, and (iii) there are some player-sponsored tracks where the races may change (or tracks added or lapsed), but if you check out the previous year, that should give you a fairly good sense of where things are.

If you have a horse that is leased that essentially has you in a box, you may want to consider terminating the lease (and if the player leased it to you for free, thanking that player and explaining that you've got nowhere to run it, most players don't want their free leases costing you $$$).

Hope that helps!
Laura
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Thank you to everyone that helped me here. I felt like a tb colt yesterday, strolling along and then "oh something new......SPOOOOOK". Appreciate the guidance!