Workouts coming Sunday

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Workouts coming Sunday

Post by The Harlequins »

Am only new but am a Big believer in workout times being the best way of gauging the quailty of the horse.

What workout time for your horse will rock your boat.

I feel a 1.51.20 is possible at 1mile for a couple of my trotters :shock:

Hopeful Frank.
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Workouts coming Sunday

Post by Dave Trainer »

I never look at them.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Could i ask if you hold no value to them Dave?
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

None at all other than to find equipment.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Is there such a thing in the horses coding then, such as innate ability ,only shown on the track?
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Workout times serve to increase false hope for maximum race-day disappointment. Devon Castle never hit the workout leader boards.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Arthur Cutler
Derby Contender

Post by Arthur Cutler »

To be fair In the Devon Castle situation he only had a work out with the same equipment that he used during his races on his very first workout in the year 44. The work out times in the early part of your 44 were much slower than in the latter part of that year when they messed around with the workout times. After his first workout he never again worked out with the equipment he raced with. Hence the slow work out times
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Workout times would mean more, in my opinion, if all trainers had the same approach. You have some trainers that work their horses regularly, with the correct equipment, who are fit, and are going for fast times. You have people like me who will work a handful of yearlings, but will leave most of the routers/trotters/pacers until next year. You have other people who just get the two works in so they can start at 2yo, and to save time work their horses all the exact same distance/surface, so you get misleading times, because a bunch of them reflect the wrong distance/surface. Some players only work one distance; others work a range. So you'll see people get excited over a 7f work, when only a relatively small percentage of routers work that distance.

Also, late bloomers and others will continue to improve with age, so a fast work Week 5 or 6 doesn't necessarily translate to top of the class a SIM year or two. It might, but again, there's plenty of variables, so it is not as reliable a benchmark as you might like it to be.

I pretty much get two workouts in to make sure I'm able to race a horse at two and call it a day, unless I'm trying to figure out bandages. I rarely pay attention to the times they work. The cool thing is, there's no one right way to do it, and if workouts give you joy, go for it.
Arthur Cutler
Derby Contender

Post by Arthur Cutler »

I do believe that in SteepleChasers The work out times me and absolutely nothing. But in a harness racing I do believe they give you a very good glance at how fast your horse is. You can only train at 1 mile so if you have the right equipment I think it does help in placement of your horses for future races. I only work my yearlings and two-year-olds out in harness. I Gallop under harness at the end of every year to see if their ability changes. Just so I have a good Idea of What race placement they should be in
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Thank you for the imput.

Should have said ,i was talking about trotters and pacers as they only train and race at 1 mile.

Workouts are also open now.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

The Harlequins wrote: 3 years ago Thank you for the imput.

Should have said ,i was talking about trotters and pacers as they only train and race at 1 mile.

Workouts are also open now.
I mentioned thoroughbreds, because this was posted in the Thoroughbred Racing forum. I agree that trotters and pacers don't have the distance/surface issues, but the other items - fitness, equipment, different approaches, still apply. Good luck with your workouts!
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Must learn to post in the relevant threads guys, but still thanks for your time.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Workouts coming NOW

Post by Art K Stables »

Workouts have been open since midnight pacific
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

When do workouts open?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Art K Stables