Steward Breds Leaving, why is this happening again?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Steward Breds Leaving, why is this happening again?

Post by Jack Christensen »

Can someone tell me why this is happening? I've heard snippets of explanations where I heard that some people complained, but it seems to me that there is a lot of support for keeping Steward Breds in the SIM. I haven't ever even owned a steward bred and I don't like that they are leaving.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Steward Breds Leaving, why is this happening again?

Post by Rochelle Bos »

From what I understand people are upset because some players with more money buy all of them that they can. So poorer players cannot win them. There are also those who don't like the pinhooking market.

The 3 stewardbred per year limit really helped this a lot, and I myself miss having the limit in place. The limit made it so that the stewie love was spread around.

The year the limit was removed there were like 8 stewie auctions and rich people were able to get a whole ton more horses. I personally wish that the limits had stayed in place and that there were more auctions throughout the year.

As much as I would love everyone who actually wants to win and race stewardbreds to get one, their primary purpose is to remove money from the game, and the best way for the SIM staff to do that is no limits. Which increases the prices of the horses, taking out more money.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Because this is the way
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

Too many players complained about the auctions and some of us richer players being able to buy pinhooks but the funny thing is we can only buy pinhooks of other players are selling them!
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Becuase the steward has multiple real jobs to try and pay the bills in addition to running this site, not to mention having to raise twins on her own, and it took her a lot of time and effort to breed the stewardbreds, time she doesn't necessarily have, it was not something she enjoyed doing and all she got in return for doing it was a lot of angst. So since the main reason to have them was to take money out of the game it seemed a lot simpler to just find other ways to do that. Sure people will still complain (people will ALWAYS complain, and yes I'm very guilty of that myself) but at least its less effort year in and year out.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

Because every time I buy a steward bred it sucks and the game is all about me. If I can't get lucky with pretty, well-bred horses you can't.
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

I think Tammy's explanation is a good summery. At one point I think Em genuinely enjoyed breeding them but now life and simsters have changed things and now Pete is right " This is the Way!"
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Why does money have to be removed from the game?
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Jon Xett wrote: 3 years ago Why does money have to be removed from the game?
Can I borrow some?
;p
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Post by Jack Christensen »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 3 years ago Becuase the steward has multiple real jobs to try and pay the bills in addition to running this site, not to mention having to raise twins on her own, and it took her a lot of time and effort to breed the stewardbreds, time she doesn't necessarily have, it was not something she enjoyed doing and all she got in return for doing it was a lot of angst. So since the main reason to have them was to take money out of the game it seemed a lot simpler to just find other ways to do that. Sure people will still complain (people will ALWAYS complain, and yes I'm very guilty of that myself) but at least its less effort year in and year out.
The Steward has said in recent broadcasts that she is sad steward breds are leaving the SIM, so I don't think we can say she hated it.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Jack Christensen wrote: 3 years ago
Tammy Stawicki wrote: 3 years ago Becuase the steward has multiple real jobs to try and pay the bills in addition to running this site, not to mention having to raise twins on her own, and it took her a lot of time and effort to breed the stewardbreds, time she doesn't necessarily have, it was not something she enjoyed doing and all she got in return for doing it was a lot of angst. So since the main reason to have them was to take money out of the game it seemed a lot simpler to just find other ways to do that. Sure people will still complain (people will ALWAYS complain, and yes I'm very guilty of that myself) but at least its less effort year in and year out.
The Steward has said in recent broadcasts that she is sad steward breds are leaving the SIM, so I don't think we can say she hated it.
She has said that she enjoys breeding, selling and watching those horses go on to run. But the pressure of breeding hundreds upon hundreds of horses -- while still doing all the other actual life things that Tammy mentioned -- only to have people constantly finding loopholes, gaming the system, whining, complaining, threatening to quit, etc, no matter what was done to try to address problems... that would be too much for me. Way too much.

I'll miss Stew-breds too, but I'll also happily go forward and see how the game evolves without them.

I kind of hope that maybe there will still be large-ish auctions of game created horses, maybe similar to the auctions we have when an important RL colt dies and Em wants to get some of his bloodlines into the game. I think that manually introducing outcrosses is going to be very important and necessary, as we as a population generally can't be trusted to perpetuate diversity ourselves (I've gone off about this before...)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Jack Christensen wrote: 3 years ago
The steward has also said she really doesn't have time to do stewardbreds and doesn't find it a "fun" way to be in the game. See quote below from this thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47811&p=408136&hilit=fun#p408136).
The Steward wrote: 4 years ago I haven't read this whole thread (it is long), but I just wanted to say that right now the biggest problem/road block to Steward-breds is real life. I'm really drowning trying to keep up with real life let alone the SIM.... and Steward-breds would be the easiest thing to make go away. Right now it's not at all a "fun way for me to play." It is solely a way to remove huge chunks of money from the game.... hence why I keep asking for good suggestions of how else to do that.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

A thought:....
What if the steward had auctions of player bred horses?

hear me out.

Let's say there was a function in the game where horses could be coded as "Available for auction". The players can set this status on the horses.
The the steward has a behind the scenes data base to show her this specific group of horses and then can see all the special details of each horse. She can then pick and choose horses to place in her auction.

These would be steward endorsed horses bred by the players. The title steward endorsed would make them a premium auction buy similar to a stewardbred and would help the player bred economy distribute horses throughout the community.
Proceeds from the auction would go to the player who last owned the horse with a small percentage being removed for the stewards endorsement service.

It could be kind of cool. It is a little bit of work for the steward to pick the horses, but if she can easily sort them by gallops and behind the scene ratings it might not be that much work overall.

Just a thought I had for non stewy world to help jump start the player bred market.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago A thought:....
What if the steward had auctions of player bred horses?

hear me out.

Let's say there was a function in the game where horses could be coded as "Available for auction". The players can set this status on the horses.
The the steward has a behind the scenes data base to show her this specific group of horses and then can see all the special details of each horse. She can then pick and choose horses to place in her auction.

These would be steward endorsed horses bred by the players. The title steward endorsed would make them a premium auction buy similar to a stewardbred and would help the player bred economy distribute horses throughout the community.
Proceeds from the auction would go to the player who last owned the horse with a small percentage being removed for the stewards endorsement service.

It could be kind of cool. It is a little bit of work for the steward to pick the horses, but if she can easily sort them by gallops and behind the scene ratings it might not be that much work overall.

Just a thought I had for non stewy world to help jump start the player bred market.
I like this idea, but there is a dynamic in the game where the breeding is getting really split. Someone commented the other day that the colt I lost was from a "cheap" stud fee of only $25k. That isn't a very high fee as things go, but it is still a chunk of change for a new player. If the Steward-endorsed horses could come from a wide enough range of bloodstock some of this might be mitigated. But I am afraid all the "great" horses would come from just a few lines, and we might get reduced diversity AND skyrocketing breeding costs for anything that has a chance of being decent. I dunno- maybe more game-created horses could mitigate? Love to hear more thoughts on this.