speed rating for free players

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Robert Goldsmith
Two Year Old

speed rating for free players

Post by Robert Goldsmith »

I have been playing this game for free since 2018 because I like it and don't really know very much about real horse racing. one reason that I like it is because I could see the speed rating of the other horses entered into a race and was able to see if mine could compete. Imagine my surprise yesterday when that was removed from my screen and could no longer
see speed ratings. The steward notified me that I was never supposed to be able to see speed ratings as a free player. I wonder how many players this affected and do you think you will be able to stay in the game without them?
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Re: speed rating for free players

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The answer is you should probably buy simperior :)
You have had 2 years of 100 % free entertainment.

Time to give a little back to the game so they can continue to exist and provide all of us hours and hours of daily enjoyment.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Robert Goldsmith wrote: 3 years ago I have been playing this game for free since 2018 because I like it and don't really know very much about real horse racing. one reason that I like it is because I could see the speed rating of the other horses entered into a race and was able to see if mine could compete. Imagine my surprise yesterday when that was removed from my screen and could no longer
see speed ratings. The steward notified me that I was never supposed to be able to see speed ratings as a free player. I wonder how many players this affected and do you think you will be able to stay in the game without them?
I played this game free for like 5 real life years without them. It is completely possible to do, you just have to pay closer attention to horse's finish time(s)… I'm at the point where I can look at a race's finish time and have a decent idea what the speed figure breakdown likely was, you'll probably find that you can do that too if you've been able to see them for two years.
That said, having SIMperior and seeing them does help immensely once you get competitive stakes-type horses or want to claim horses in more expensive claiming races. I'm hooked on SIMperior, personally, because of the Stud Book and the cool additional info you get in your barns.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Robert Goldsmith
Two Year Old

Post by Robert Goldsmith »

I can understand paying real money to improve your stable and breeding but I think buying Speed Ratings instead of making them available to all players is like Baseball teams buying their opponents signals. I think that it is immoral.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Robert Goldsmith wrote: 3 years ago I can understand paying real money to improve your stable and breeding but I think buying Speed Ratings instead of making them available to all players is like Baseball teams buying their opponents signals. I think that it is immoral.
;p
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Disagree Robert, you have the info to calculate the speed figures. If you want it done by the game for you, to save time and research, then buy simperior. You can see how fast a race is completed and how far behind other horses finish...
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Robert, It's been too long ago for me to remember, but I think I played several real life years without Simperior, for several reasons...one I've never been that rich..and was having a hard time justifying dinging my credit card for an online game.
And two, my stable at that point was filled mostly with horses that were not even allowance quality, for the most part. I actually played the game for some years, just trying to find cast-offs I thought I could improve upon, and never worried about getting ahold of higher quality horses. I didn't think my quality off horses, and with my stable at that time being quite small as far as the number of runners I had in the racing barn, deserved a Simperior account.

Once I started to really play the game and try to get some high end horses, I bought the Simperior...justified it, because I really didn't have any other frivolous things I spent my money on - I rarely ever drink, don't smoke, quit buying records and books, and was very frugal with other purchases...always buying clothing on sale, etc.

But I also figured I was entitled to a little bit of fun with the money I worked so hard for...and I was doing hard physical labor most days...working in a flooring/furniture store, where I was often cutting carpet, unloading freight trucks and was one of the 'delivery guys' - even though I'm a woman and only 5 foot 3 inches tall....which...guess where all the weight of a 12 foot long carpet goes when the person at the other end is a 6 foot tall man...lol.

Anyway...not too long ago, the Steward introduced the Exchange...and that has really helped me out in real life - since I had two back injuries that led to me being on permanent disability...which doesn't pay as much as a job did.

So, I tried to save a percentage of the earnings for each race, and, after time had enough Sim Dollars to go into the exchange and buy GPs. It doesn't cost me 'real money' to do that...and for me, that has been great, especially last year when I kept having HUGE bills hammer my financial situation flatter than it's been since I've been in my 20s (I'm 57 now). But too, I also ended up with some 'big' horses and since I had the Sim Dollars, I spent a lot of them at the exchange...lol. But, I still kind of would look at my earnings and use around 10 percent of them for Exchange transactions.

You could easily, add up what your horses earn for each race, and take 5 or10 percent of that total and go to the exchange and buy a few GPs until you have enough GPs saved for a season Sim racing. Simperior really does make things easier to manage, plus if you start breeding, you get access to the Stud Book and all the stats on the stallions. The auto ship feature is really nice too...you don't have to remember to ship your horses to the track and thus not miss any races...and you have access to the speed figures as well.

The game Needs to withhold some things in order to encourage players to join in and help keep the game going.
This game costs money...for servers, and such...plus all the time the developers put into it.
And as Lily pointed out, if you decide not to have a Simperior account, there are other ways to get a feel for what's going on with your horses or the races they are in.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

EVERYTHING FREE FOR EVERYONE!! Its only fair!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Louise Bayou wrote: 3 years ago EVERYTHING FREE FOR EVERYONE!! Its only fair!
yes mam, please and thankya
;p
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Give everyone a trophy wile you're at it
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Dave Trainer wrote: 3 years ago
Give everyone a trophy wile you're at it
We do technically get one just for signing up, but i vote we change the color to GOLD
;p
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

If you get your year's worth of SIMperior GPs on GP and a half day, it's $30. For an entire year. $2.50 per month, which is really low in terms of entertainment in 2021. Even if you don't get the sale price, $3.75. I'm far from rich, but less than $4 per month for my personal addiction is absolutely worth it. I've accidentally let it run out for a few days and was lost without it.

And yes, speed figures are great and all, but they're hardly the be all, end all. A horse that runs a 90 in an upper level claiming race is not the same quality as a horse that runs a 90 at the same distance/surface/condition in a stakes, even if the former wins and the latter finishes fourth. So, they have to be taken with a grain of salt, anyway.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Warning to new players ll

Post by Laura Smith »

Literally beating the deadest horse here, but I have a hot fresh cup of coffee in front of me so let's lay it out again.

1. The game costs money to operate. This money comes from Game Points. Without Game Points, the game does not operate.

2. Players need to be encouraged to buy Game Points, so purchasable features exist that make gameplay more convenient.

If you don't want to support the game by buying GPs, but you are really hung up on seeing speed figures, feel free to use the finish times of races to estimate your own. Takes a couple seconds and poof, your perceived disadvantage is gone.

If every feature of the game was free, there wouldn't be a game.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Re: Warning to new players ll

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Forget SIMperior, someone needs to buy you a mirror so that you can meet your real enemy. We have told you that:

1) Everything that comes with SIMperior is laid out in the description
2) You can buy SIMperior with game points that you get from the exchange, using purse money won in races
3) You can calculate your own speed figures rather easily

As for truly new players, the ones with enough manners and sense not to spout off at the mouth, their mentors will help them both get the game points that they might need AND to understand all of the free and optional features of the game. This is a great community, and if you had asked for help instead of having a tantrum you would likely be in a very different situation. It is really unclear to the rest of us why you think you are owed a game to play at the expense of others, with no contribution required on your part. I'm sorry for you, as this perspective will have ramifications far beyond an online SIM if you can't shake yourself out of it. To quote my favorite movie line ever:

"Before you make any smart moral judgments remember this: the world doesn't owe you a living, nothing's for free, and some people pay more than others"
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Erin Sanderson wrote: 3 years ago If you get your year's worth of SIMperior GPs on GP and a half day, it's $30. For an entire year. $2.50 per month, which is really low in terms of entertainment in 2021. Even if you don't get the sale price, $3.75. I'm far from rich, but less than $4 per month for my personal addiction is absolutely worth it. I've accidentally let it run out for a few days and was lost without it.

And yes, speed figures are great and all, but they're hardly the be all, end all. A horse that runs a 90 in an upper level claiming race is not the same quality as a horse that runs a 90 at the same distance/surface/condition in a stakes, even if the former wins and the latter finishes fourth. So, they have to be taken with a grain of salt, anyway.
You can also get it for free if you work the claimers, win purse money, and use the exchange. :)