Steward-breds

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should We Keep Steward-breds in Some Format?

NO GOODBYE FOREVER
17%
Yes, like 25 a year
9%
Your regular 250ish is great
70%
What's a Steward-bred
4%

Total votes: 108

Jack Ryder
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: Steward-breds

Post by Jack Ryder »

I suggest not having an overall limit on them, just the auction limit where one can bid for two and just get 1.
No additional headache with this of enforcing limits or players trying to exploit a loophole.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago I voted for the 250 because 25 seemed like too few; however, 250 seems like a lot. I am all about the limits and 3 is ok. Basically I am pretty much thinking Cleo is on the right track.

If they go away I don't see how any newbie is ever going to build up a decent breeding program except by pure luck. At least with them in the game there is the option of saving up to try to get 1 really nice horse.
Steward breds are not the way for a newbie to build up their breeding problem. I can promise you that very few if any barns (except in the very early days of the Sim) have "made' their breeding barns that way.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

In theory I like stewardbreds, I think a limit of 3 worked well...the drama I have seen in my limited time here comes about when trainers obtain a stewardbred in a manner outside of an auction...whether in a deal that’s not public (e.g. a trainer asked to buy a horse [see Intellivore - bought outside of the auction - why was this the case? If there’s a reason - is that offered to every player and are players aware of it?])

There’s always some stewardbreds posted to the sales page and scooped up quickly...sometimes a horse was created on accident and a player was forced to retire but was compensated with stewardbreds? These type of actions is what I think leads to the drama of stewardbreds more than anything else....I think a 3 limit per year for each trainer, all horse are through auctions....just needs to be transparency with all this so there’s no advantage to people who know the unwritten rules (asking to buy stewardbred directly from the steward was apparently a thing I (and believe most) was unaware of until this year when a few big players bought stewardbreds before the auction and thus they were not limited to buying more in the auction which has its own limit). Anyway this was a huge run-on sentence to say I think drama would be greatly reduced with better communication on what’s allowed and what isn’t.. once that’s clear we all play by the same rules and can adapt to the rules...it’s when the rules don’t apply to all player or the rules are unclear that leads to drama...
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Why do people want Steward Bred's so bad? You submit that it's the only way for players to get good lines but I submit that that's total *. Look at a fairly Steward Bred free division like AWS. The yearling who looks like one of the best ever comes from a Steward bred free no potential mare.

If they continue to exist I’ll keep buying but I think the take away a players ability to show skill.
yeah
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago Why do people want Steward Bred's so bad? You submit that it's the only way for players to get good lines but I submit that that's total *. Look at a fairly Steward Bred free division like AWS. The yearling who looks like one of the best ever comes from a Steward bred free no potential mare.

If they continue to exist I’ll keep buying but I think the take away a players ability to show skill.
Well I’d argue that’s a complete random slide and that’s no fun either (for me at least) - otherwise just breed as much as you can to any sire and play the numbers game, which I know some players do and enjoy...to each their own...if you don’t want to play the stewardbred game you don’t have to, if you don’t want to be a mass breeder to get the random slide, you don’t have to, the game has options and can be played differently and enjoyed just the same..
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

I like most of Laura's comments. When I started there were 3 auctions of about 60 each and I always thought that was a nice sweetspot. Limits of 3 per age, under 4 yr olds, no partnership participation. As far as racing leases for the steward, eliminate them and pay cash only (for the foal) and auction the leases out.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

I vote Gigi bred....far better chance of a return :shock:
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Last edited by Jon Xett 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Dave Trainer wrote: 3 years ago I think the poll should have had another option, 3 horse per crop limit. From the posts here that might have won by a landslide.

I'm not against steward breds but I am against players owning unlimited numbers of them each crop.
This gets my vote! Obviously you still enjoy breeding, so get the number to where you are comfortable and enforce some limits.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

I have always agreed with having SB, but now I'm trying to get used to them not being there....I still think SB are a good thing unless it burdens our Steward to the point it isn't enjoyable and that the limit is kept at 2 per player TOTAL for each year....foal...yearling...2YO...3YO...then 4YO and up should be unlimited....there should be NO WAY a player should have more than 2 yearlings ... If that won't work I don't want them to stay...

Jack
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

I’m like a broken record, I keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I’m a small stable, I don’t breed much or well , Steward breds, when I have one, give me hope of winning bigger races and challenging the top trainers for purse money. But...my cash on hand is significantly smaller than probably 100 players in the SIM (usually about $2 million). That being said, I think two sales of 100 horses each with only one win per person gives me a fighting chance. Limits on how many a player can own is fine at three, partnerships cannot participate in the auction and no outside of auctions deals for Steward breds between the Steward and players. Without Steward auctions I’m just making money and have nothing to spend it on. And again, breeding challenged.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Gavin Guile wrote: 3 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago Why do people want Steward Bred's so bad? You submit that it's the only way for players to get good lines but I submit that that's total *. Look at a fairly Steward Bred free division like AWS. The yearling who looks like one of the best ever comes from a Steward bred free no potential mare.

Well I’d argue that’s a complete random slide and that’s no fun either (for me at least) - otherwise just breed as much as you can to any sire and play the numbers game, which I know some players do and enjoy...to each their own...if you don’t want to play the stewardbred game you don’t have to, if you don’t want to be a mass breeder to get the random slide, you don’t have to, the game has options and can be played differently and enjoyed just the same..
And I'll submit to you something that isn't a slide then. Hoobri produced Maggot, one of the few AWS freaks. I picked her up out of AJ because while she wasn't great comments wise but she had back class. Usually these get kicked to the side and never do anything more than throw maybe a stakes or a lot of allowance in Steward dominated divisions *ahem DR*. My thesis is that that is due to the Steward Bred's taking all the "good " slides.

If Steward Bred's were not in any divisions I believe we would see a lot more new player success, not just because of slides but because they can pick up those big lines that are ignored
Last edited by Dylan Christensen 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
yeah
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

A Steward Bred is not just for Christmas lol
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

The Harlequins wrote: 3 years ago A Steward Bred is not just for Christmas lol
Come on babe, hook me up

They’re a gals bestfriend
;p
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Forget Covid Andrew......the planets are allining against us now lol lol