Steward-breds

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should We Keep Steward-breds in Some Format?

NO GOODBYE FOREVER
17%
Yes, like 25 a year
9%
Your regular 250ish is great
70%
What's a Steward-bred
4%

Total votes: 108

Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: Steward-breds

Post by Craig Mcgee »

I for one have never played steward bred game as I started in mixers and continue to build through the stock breeds. Don't get me wrong one day I may jump into them. But if they go away I will never have that opportunity. I voted to keep them and have no problem with the way they have been run the last few seasons. IE no limits, pinhooking aside. Newbies still win on underbids and I see no problem with them getting as much sim cash as they can from a pinhook. Not all Stew breds end up world beaters. Question when did a stew bred last win a Triple crown race? The auctions themselves are entertainment as much as is festivus. Question 2 How many of us enjoy the highs and lows in auctions? All horses are not created equal so why are we wanting to take the creme la creme out of the game?
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

PS another thought......by limiting SB ownership will that not make it near inpossible to win in player made auctions as those with millions will be able to go oh well I have all this money lets play grinch and buy everything in an auction? So guess what? No more great buys at auction period. How will a smaller stable replenish their runners if they do not breed their own. Which becomes another problem as they won't be able to purchase decent bloodstock at auction due to the larger breeders buying everything up with the sim cash that they now have abundance of due to NOT buying as many high priced SBs as they can. Okay said my piece I hush now LOL.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

Kent Saunders wrote: 3 years ago Not discussed but needs a Steward review, is the whole purpose of SB's is to take excess $$ out of the game, That kind of drives the "How Many" question of how many for her to breed/sell.
To add to Jacks point, SB's are not meant for every player in the game. If there are only 100 a yr they will be extremely expensive and that's the way it should be (which takes excess $$ out of the game). Build your stable up and get to the point where you can afford them...End of story. Your other option is to become more of a mixer player (or Chasers) that doesn't have SB's. Plenty of opportunity for some one that puts time/effort into the game IMO.
Totally agree!
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Kent Saunders wrote: 3 years ago Not discussed but needs a Steward review, is the whole purpose of SB's is to take excess $$ out of the game, That kind of drives the "How Many" question of how many for her to breed/sell.
To add to Jacks point, SB's are not meant for every player in the game. If there are only 100 a yr they will be extremely expensive and that's the way it should be (which takes excess $$ out of the game). Build your stable up and get to the point where you can afford them...End of story. Your other option is to become more of a mixer player (or Chasers) that doesn't have SB's. Plenty of opportunity for some one that puts time/effort into the game IMO.
Well stated!
yeah
Sarah J
Two Year Old

Post by Sarah J »

To add to Jacks point, SB's are not meant for every player in the game. If there are only 100 a yr they will be extremely expensive and that's the way it should be (which takes excess $$ out of the game). Build your stable up and get to the point where you can afford them...End of story. Your other option is to become more of a mixer player (or Chasers) that doesn't have SB's. Plenty of opportunity for someone that puts time/effort into the game IMO.
I understand that I am very new to the game but after reading through this thread and all the brilliant opinions/responses, I think having a "blind" opinion can be good as well. I as a new player cannot imagine having any sort of "well that's not fair" towards the higher prices of these stewardbreds. If I came in and was able to buy a "relatively" good horse right off the bat, that kinda takes the fun out of it in my opinion. I've got nothing but claimers and trail park horses in my barn currently, but the idea of depending on this steward auction instead of being able to claim ""up" horses sucks the fun out of everything. Obviously, there is a gamble in the horse being a slow stinker but realistically, I'd imagine my chances being pretty good? I'd like to see statistics of the win percentages/gallop percentages that the steward puts out in an average crop. Since there is an issue with the economy, I think they are definitely needed but it seems to be a lot of you (participants in the thread) seem to think that having a steward bred is your only path to success. Is that because her horses are so dominant it's impossible to compete in certain divisions? As a new player coming in and reading that that's very disappointing.

If those percentages are higher, The solution could be to have a smaller more limited crop every year. Give people a fighting chance to breed into these big races while also draining money from people on a gamble.

Only one banana, wow very rare banana. Millions of banana? Oh nobody wants a banana..nobody pays big money for banana. It's not that complicated
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

It's much easier to say "build up your stable" than to do it. I'm not trying to be snotty, but honestly, let's wipe your stables and give you 100k and see how far you get... It's not at all easy, and yes the only way to reach the top levels is to either win a steward bred or luck out with some very generous player giving you nice horses. That's it. The horses on the sales page are crap, the horses in most auctions are crap, and the good ones do go for lots of money.

Once new players move out of trial park world and into the real one, it's virtually impossible to earn enough money to get a good horse. And yeah, most players don't sell Stakes and Freak horses (if they do, they sell for millions), so steward breds really are the only way to move up.

Look at all the Barn Auto Dispersal auctions. They are chock full of crappy horses that some new player bought because they could afford them and thought they could train them up to be better... they tried to race them but the horses didn't earn. Money runs out. Plus the losses feel crappy. Sees players spending millions at auctions and realize you will never, ever get there, the disparity is too great. That's depressing. Player isn't happy. Game loses player.

This game needs every player it can get. I don't like to see the cycle of these failed players being auto dispersed, and the system not changing in response. I want better for this game that I love so dearly.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Emily Mitchell wrote: 3 years ago It's much easier to say "build up your stable" than to do it. I'm not trying to be snotty, but honestly, let's wipe your stables and give you 100k and see how far you get... It's not at all easy, and yes the only way to reach the top levels is to either win a steward bred or luck out with some very generous player giving you nice horses. That's it. The horses on the sales page are crap, the horses in most auctions are crap, and the good ones do go for lots of money.

Once new players move out of trial park world and into the real one, it's virtually impossible to earn enough money to get a good horse. And yeah, most players don't sell Stakes and Freak horses (if they do, they sell for millions), so steward breds really are the only way to move up.

Look at all the Barn Auto Dispersal auctions. They are chock full of crappy horses that some new player bought because they could afford them and thought they could train them up to be better... they tried to race them but the horses didn't earn. Money runs out. Plus the losses feel crappy. Sees players spending millions at auctions and realize you will never, ever get there, the disparity is too great. That's depressing. Player isn't happy. Game loses player.

This game needs every player it can get. I don't like to see the cycle of these failed players being auto dispersed, and the system not changing in response. I want better for this game that I love so dearly.
Strong disagree. The easiest way to get good horses is to claim, especially potential broodmares and there are a lot of really nice ones in claimers every week. I was neither gifted good horses or had Steward breds for the longest time in my SIM career and yet here I am with arguably one of the strongest turf routing broodmare bands in the game. It started with this mare I bought for $5k because she had a nice pedigree https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=177006

The reality is, the new players that are good and stick around are the ones that put effort in to learn the game. Of course the ones that don't put the effort in end up struggling.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

Emily Mitchell wrote: 3 years ago It's much easier to say "build up your stable" than to do it. I'm not trying to be snotty, but honestly, let's wipe your stables and give you 100k and see how far you get... It's not at all easy, and yes the only way to reach the top levels is to either win a steward bred or luck out with some very generous player giving you nice horses. That's it. The horses on the sales page are crap, the horses in most auctions are crap, and the good ones do go for lots of money.

Emily, I understand what you are saying here, I really do, but I have been there where I had 100k to start with...I hurt my horses by not knowing what to do, I did all of that. I set my alarm to 3am every morning with several other players in order to get the new AJ drops from dispersal barns....I sorted through Claimers each and every night trying to claim nice geldings and eventually mares to fill my barn with nicer horses...I ran out of money and had another player gift me a little to get me out of the red....I was gifted horses whom weren't SPECIAL, but made me money... I had a horrible TB barn and used mixer horses to fund money into my TB empire...it takes work and was harder then than it is now just as I'm sure it was when you started than when I did....New players don't need to wait until 3am to get AJ horses and they don't have a limit of 5 per week as we did, now they have dispersal auctions and little indicaters that allow them to look strictly at the recent dispersals and sort by gallop/BS comment and so on... I didn't have the exchange to buy GPs and sell them for cash before a SB auction, New players have that now. I had to wait years and years to be able to get a SB, and the first ones I got were from underbids.... My point is, you don't even have to really work for success or getting the chance at the best horses, there are tools that take that away...I just don't feel some of the ideas floating around about SBs should be gifted or given to newer players is right just to be FAIR. I think that the Exchange makes it pretty fair right now

Jack
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

Emily Mitchell wrote: 3 years ago It's much easier to say "build up your stable" than to do it.
I've been here for like 5 sim seasons and I'm doing fine. I just worked hard at it and put in the work. I can buy steward-breds whenever I want (just not necessarily the one I want).

Yes, some of my success came from help from experienced players (thanks for that mare lease Danny), but some just came from working hard. Finding AJ gems, claiming nice horses, being smart with race placement etc.

For example, this mare came from AJ. I got two foals out of her. Both foals are stakes winners. The retired filly was a stakes --> freak. The colt is a late bloomer that I'm hoping jumps and stays as good as he's been his two-year-old year.

I claimed this mare for a measly $32k and she's not only a blue hen, but by far the best hypoing mare in my entire breeding shed.

I've got plenty of examples like the ones above.

The players that disperse quickly or complain that the game is too hard starting out as a new player are the players that just have no patience and expect everything to be given to them. That's not how life works and I'd prefer it if that's not how the Sim works either. And maybe the sim isn't the right game for them if they just want that instant gratification.

Nevertheless, that really has nothing to do with stewardbreds; which, are a completely different topic altogether. And steward-breds certainly are not the only way to succeed in the game.
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k)
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

I think there is a film, (Go Broke Or Die Trying).

I am broke but the trying is GREAT fun,if i choose in the future to save and save and save for a Stewie.......please shoot me :lol:
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Abby Brooks
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Abby Brooks »

I didnt realize the sim was supposed to give out participation awards.
Testing The Waters|Multi G1 AWM/AWR winner|40k
Dont make pee jokes, or you'll be barked at in the super secret sim discord where grown adults whine about one another
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

The Harlequins wrote: 3 years ago I think there is a film, (Go Broke Or Die Trying).

I am broke but the trying is GREAT fun,if i choose in the future to save and save and save for a Stewie.......please shoot me :lol:
Frank, didn’t you sell a horse for $13 million last season?? Sir, how did you spend all that money so quick! :P
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Devon Castle Carole lol lol lol.........and othersxxx
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Kind of a spread bet Carole 6million 200 foals
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

The Harlequins wrote: 3 years ago Kind of a spread bet Carole 6million 200 foals
That’s it?
;p