Steward-breds

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should We Keep Steward-breds in Some Format?

NO GOODBYE FOREVER
17%
Yes, like 25 a year
9%
Your regular 250ish is great
70%
What's a Steward-bred
4%

Total votes: 108

Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Steward-breds

Post by Andrew Chillin »

good ol luck
;p
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

The first chapter in my book of bad luck:

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=214856

I have plenty more. The few good ones were REALLY good, so that makes up for it, but many millions were spent that I have to chock up to 'learning opportunities', and that they were exciting and fun even if they weren't fast or productive.

I think with Steward Breds one should remember the insightful words of John Cleese in Clockwork:

"It's not the despair...I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
If I'm willing to pay $5 million for a Steward's Cup winner who has produced 2 freaks, but not willing to pay more than $1 million for a generic Grade 1 winner, how do I stop the "that's not fair" ness?

I was actually leaning strongly towards keeping Steward-breds, with restrictions, transparency, what have you. But the recent round of "She can only lease one mare per player per year, and that player can only race the foal if it counts towards their to per year, and she can only pay X amount" has made me backpedal HARD. I do NOT have the mental capacity to pay attention to whether I've leased one or two from each player in a year (especially since I tend to breed ALL of them Week 16 and then all of them AGAIN Week 1, things get confused for me), and why would a player lease me a mare if there is a menu limit (this mare may have produced 3 freaks, but she only won a single Grade 1 so I can't pay more than $1 million, whatever it is). It just seems really complicated once you get to the restricting me to maintain a broodmare band. Everything else I've liked (limits, no naming, etc). But I don't see how I can proceed since it's not in anyone's best interest to not let me go after mares like "normal."
I only mentioned a "menu" idea to a problem that you said existed. In my response/idea I said I do not believe that is truly an issue and based on the responses, it appears that the $ in leasing is not an issue at all. Therefore, I don't think anyone thinks a "menu limit" is a good idea.

I personally do not care how any of this goes. I like stewardbreds and would prefer they stay, as they are now, or with some/all of the items you are personally comfortable with. I just play the game the best I can with the rules in place. I will continue to do just that as I'm sure will the vast majority.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I recommend the steward just let me take over the steward bred program. I’ll lease mares and have them races as I see fit then sell foals for beaucoup monies. Total transparency, open forum thread for every deal. Maybe I’ll just say “hey breed this to that, make this send me thing at 4. Here’s your cut.”
;p
David Faulkner
Grade 3 Winner

Post by David Faulkner »

Ryan Whitehead wrote: 3 years ago
David Velasquez wrote: 3 years ago Apparently the detail is that only the elite have the mares to be rented by you, and that plus the foal that is given to you, which means that you can have up to 3 purchases a year SB, plus one foal delivered, leaving the others no chance of at least 1 SB

And if you allow the other players to receive a mare from your stable, and raise a foal that you will give back to the player for free so that he can have a SB, and have the opportunity to get a good runner

There are SBs that are of low quality, well these foals could be between allowance stakes, and freak

so the small stables could get a free lease of one of his mares

there is more opportunity to get more mares to sell, and breed more Stewardbred

I would like to send you a mare, and for you to raise a foal for me, and have the opportunity to get a star, in addition to being able to buy another at the auction

So stables that don't have big mares might have a chance to get an excellent SB, while big stables get $ 5M in rent, plus a colt, plus what they can get at auction, plus what they can buy from another player.

I think that much they would not give so much importance, since they could have a fixed colt per year SB, and an auction purchase that is, could have 2, and the elites like 5, and it is better to have 2 SB, than nothing
David - You don't have to be an elite player to have a mare the Steward desires. I've leased mares to the Steward numerous times over the years and not just Turf Routers. Some mares were only rated as formidable but it's all about bloodlines.

I understand your view about the mare owner getting paid, racing the foal, etc... But you also have to take something else into account. I'll use my exceptional mare Summersational as an example.
Summersational is out of the blue hen mare, Bolt from the Blue, who was incredible on the track. She has a fantastic pedigree and she was the type of mare you would expect extraordinary things from but thats not the case. I paid 1M in a lease auction for the right to breed her and I got lucky! Summersational is by far her highest earning progeny and the only female producing freaks and stakes gallopers. Her siblings have not faired well at all when it comes to breeding.

Anyway my point is you could lease the Steward a mare and have the same scenario where that foal is by far the best progeny that mare will ever produce. Assuming the steward will get 8-12 foals from that foal that is all possible income for you that you will never have. If the foal bred from the lease becomes a superstar mare like Shahir'ra and you lose out on 38M in progeny earnings then the amount you were paid for the lease and race earnings doesn't even come close to potential earnings you could have had, plus you lose out on running some brilliant horses. Hopefully I was able to make my point even though I tend to get wordy at times.
:P excelente explicacion, y 100% aceptable
Jack Ryder
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Jack Ryder »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago I recommend the steward just let me take over the steward bred program. I’ll lease mares and have them races as I see fit then sell foals for beaucoup monies. Total transparency, open forum thread for every deal. Maybe I’ll just say “hey breed this to that, make this send me thing at 4. Here’s your cut.”
I second this.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

I think after 15 pages of discussion we should start a new survey to see if any changes ?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Pepper Carol wrote: 3 years ago I think after 15 pages of discussion we should start a new survey to see if any changes ?
Really I just need to sit down and WRITE UP the plan I have now. Except I'm currently in a mental state where I can't do that. Soon, though.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Abby Brooks
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Abby Brooks »

I thought new players couldnt get stewardbreds easy enough..30k claim for a Stewardbred that could easily turn around and make you money..Play claim games and you'll get where you want to
Testing The Waters|Multi G1 AWM/AWR winner|40k
Dont make pee jokes, or you'll be barked at in the super secret sim discord where grown adults whine about one another
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Rocki Ryoliza wrote: 3 years ago I thought new players couldnt get stewardbreds easy enough..30k claim for a Stewardbred that could easily turn around and make you money..Play claim games and you'll get where you want to
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

My boy ran second to the same stewie in back to back G1s, can I change my vote? 😉😂
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Pepper Carol wrote: 3 years ago I think after 15 pages of discussion we should start a new survey to see if any changes ?
I voted for 250ish Steward breds but with all the rules people have suggested in 16 pages of comments, I don’t want Steward breds at all. The more rules, the more chances to circumvent them and we will be back to pointing of fingers and yelling and weeping and gnashing of teeth. Em, cut the cord and let your little ones fly on their own.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I have an idea. Let’s take 7.5 friends with steward breds and enter them in high purse allowance races with the intention of splitting the races enough times to race only 5 horse fields and split the earnings for millions of dollars per day. - This is an official idea from Danny derby. Not me
;p
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

* all these wild proposed changes, limit how many steward breds people can own and include foals out of leases mares in that limit, the end. I've watched the same argument for 14 years, there is no fancy solution everybody will like.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

sounds like a stewardbred problem to me
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA