Making better use of Starter Allowance races in the SIM

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Making better use of Starter Allowance races in the SIM

Post by Dylan Christensen »

For starters, if you don't know what a Starter Allowance is it is a race restricted to horses coming out of a claiming race in their prior start or another starter allowance. Currently in the SIM, Starter Allowance races are very thin with only 16 being available for entry currently, these races also don't go totally filled as they can be spotty at times(at least in my experience).

I am proposing that the SIM add Starter Allowance races to Alaska to help create a more rounded schedule for the SIM and give trainers a new angle to play. I see 2 main ways that Starter Allowances can be used but, I'm sure there's more than a few angles I'm not seeing.
1. A player just made a claim up in Alaska that they don't want to drop back in for a tag right away but also don't want to ship the horse out of Alaska just yet. Said player would be able to drop the horse in a Starter Allowance free of a claiming tag without totally taking away their future claiming options.
2. If a player has a horse with a better pedigree that is struggling in Non-winners or allowances they're usually pretty reluctant to send the horse straight to claimers and will more likely just retire what may have become a nice racehorse. If there are Starter Allowances in Alaska said player may be more likely to run their horse in a high level claimer once before then moving that horse into easier Starter Allowance races. This also gives more opportunity to vigilant newbies to grow their barns.

TL;DR Add Starter Allowance races in Alaska to better use the condition and improve Alaska as a whole.
yeah
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Making better use of Starter Allowance races in the SIM

Post by Andrew James »

Very much like this. As one of the few who seems to regularly use SA's Id love for them to be regularly scheduled in Alaska.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Yes! This could be a lot of fun.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

More races means more money put into the economy when Em is trying to take money out. Or do you propose reducing the number of claimers?
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Dave Trainer wrote: 3 years ago More races means more money put into the economy when Em is trying to take money out. Or do you propose reducing the number of claimers?
When these races regularly split more money goes into the economy. With Starter Allowance races those races just split less. You probably do end up with more races in the long run but it is a minuscule amount.
yeah
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Yes please. I love using starter alws and I'm always frustrated that there aren't more of them AND that I usually have to ship from Alaska to Kansas and then probably back.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Let’s say you add 16 starter allowances at $25k purse. That’s one per week in Alaska. The amount “added” to the game is still less then the purse drop of just one of the major stakes races that were dropped 1 mil each this past year. It gives a certain level of horses a chance to run, keeping them out of aj and could benefit the new players or low income folks that are struggling to make it big. Seems fair. Let’s be honest, stewardbreds ain’t going away so we still have a big money suck. Might as well improve game quality
;p
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

I never understood what starter allowances races were all about untill this post,

I think its a great idea Dylan.
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Maria Schreuder
Derby Contender

Post by Maria Schreuder »

I never knew what they were about either, I'll definitely keep a lookout from now on to see if I can use them! Thank you.
Maria Schreuder
Derby Contender

Post by Maria Schreuder »

Also, as a new player who is mostly building a racing stable from claimers, I definitely support your suggestion of more starter allowances. I've already had plenty of horses for 1 race only before they got claimed away from me again. I know movement is part of the claiming game, but I would appreciate getting to hold on to it for just a tad longer and still have a chance at winning.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Just to expand, I think more would be great but I think it's most important to move them to Alaska.

I use them, know about them and want to use them more but shipping back and forth often makes it non-profitable.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

altho im not for or against this idea, what is the big deal to ship from alaska to kansas for a race already there.???
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Pepper Carol wrote: 3 years ago altho im not for or against this idea, what is the big deal to ship from alaska to kansas for a race already there.???
Dollars and cents. 100-200 ship if you stay on Alaska. If you’re running claimers purses are cheap so profit so small on a 8-12k purse. If you’re not winning. Shew
;p
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

is this how it works here for starter allowances as well?

like was in a claiming tag for 50k or less in last x months or just started for a 50k claimer or less etc? Its like that somewhere else I play. but yeah starter allowances are good for horses who are maybe better than claimers but not quite open allowance or stakes type horses. it may be different here on the sim but if you aren't winning non winners that aren't claimers imo you may not win starter allowances as I believe those horses are usually better. again not sure about the sim. but I would love if there were more starter allowances I sometimes look for them and never see any.

and if by adding more of those races adds more money into the sim well how about instead of having speed figures as part of simperior we pay for them with sim dollars. which would be a way to take money out of the sim. lots of ways the sim could do this. either pay for a tracks speed figures for a day like as if buying a racing form. or pay for each horse for a day a week or entire sim year. lots of ways to charge for it.

just a suggestion.
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.