Very Important Festivus Question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Re: Very Important Festivus Question

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Cleo Patra wrote: 3 years ago I do mine all at once for an overview and then I look at each horse individually and cull the ones I don’t want into my annual auction.
I just drooled a little when I read this.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Last season was my first Festivus and I thought I would do one at a time. I started with my best mares, and got disappointed and just did the rest in a batch. All was good in the end, but my good stuff didn't come from my best mares. So this year it is every foal at once, sort the results from best to worst, and hopefully by the time I get down to the disappointments they aren't as painful.

For the yearlings and older I will do one by one so that each gets "a plan or the can".
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I gallop every yearling separately. Before doing so I try to remember the reason for having chosen each particular stallion (in case I haven't typed it down), I revisit siblings to see how they've been doing throughout the year, and I go look at horses I linebred to, again. Then I try to make an estimation of what to expect. When I know the result I try to understand why, and finally decide whether or not to keep the mare for another year.
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

And of course, then you have to gallop the new 2 year olds who aren't racing right away to look for improvement.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I used to just mass gallop them but now I do it by division, easier that way to see what I have in each one.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

My first year I spent over a half hour trying to figure out why I couldn’t mass gallop all of my horses at once. I had a few pacers, so dumb.
;p
Aaron Tonning
Miler

Post by Aaron Tonning »

I will do all 600ish One by One. I am thankful that Monday will be a holiday (President's Day) and I have no work.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I do mass gallops. By the time I've entered horses, then opened their pages again to ship them back to the barn after races...plus the more complicated training sessions...and having to open so many pages during the season. When it comes to straight gallops, they all get to go together.

Later, those with equipment I open their pages separately and work them according to what piece they have and what piece comes up next on the list. Those without equipment... also get worked with the same pieces and galloped...that is until a gallop coughs up a piece for one of them and then that horse, next time out, gets one on one attention. :P

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

We do it one by one. Division by division. If one of has a really interesting parcel, we jog over to the other side of the table and click solemnly to reveal the gallop. A freak gallop is celebrated by a piece of chocolate.
First division takes really long time. Chocolate is still untouched.

Then we read the stallion and mare names to each other in an optimistic voice and end the sentence with a mumble "claimer".
Then we stop reading the parents names and click like maniacs shouting solid and productive and claimer to each other.

Somewhere at the end one of us freezes and reaches for the chocolates when Jeanclaude or memoriesoflilhero very unexpectedly produces a freak.

Then back to claimers that were far better bred than the freaks with no pedigree.

Suddenly on of us rage quit on a division and mass gallops happen.

Then we eat the rest of the chocolate.
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Polk Buffalo wrote: 3 years ago We do it one by one. Division by division. If one of has a really interesting parcel, we jog over to the other side of the table and click solemnly to reveal the gallop. A freak gallop is celebrated by a piece of chocolate.

Then we read the stallion and mare names to each other in an optimistic voice and end the sentence with a mumble "claimer".
Then we stop reading the parents names and click like maniacs shouting solid and productive and claimer to each other.

Somewhere at the end one of us freezes and reaches for the chocolates when Jeanclaude or memoriesoflilhero very unexpectedly produces a freak.

Then back to claimers that were far better bred than the freaks with no pedigree.

I need Collyn to play so we can do this 😂😂😂

But I think my competitive soul would end up destroying our marriage because that guy has a horse show up his BUTT 🤣
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Polk Buffalo wrote: 3 years ago We do it one by one. Division by division. If one of has a really interesting parcel, we jog over to the other side of the table and click solemnly to reveal the gallop. A freak gallop is celebrated by a piece of chocolate.

I love this! Cheers!
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Post by Paul Sellers »

Garret Folsom wrote: 3 years ago I generally do them by division. One year, I took the day off work and galloped them all individually in the same order that I bred them. It was really fun, but I also used up 8 hours of vacation time just so I could be disappointed slowly...
Did this exact same thing. Got the exact same result. Considering a mass gallop this year.
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Your post made me laugh, Polk. :) Thank you for sharing.
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)