Sim edge

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Sim edge

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Without being malicious or any intent to speak Ill on the owners of said horses, I would like to complain about the past several TB studs in the subscription being readily “unavailable” to the public. More specifically at the time of the weekly issue’s release. I am not naming any names, just informally complaining. Thank you.
;p
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Sim edge

Post by Gavin Guile »

Lord Prism is open to the public and ready for your mares! If people are looking for an alternative 👀
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago Without being malicious or any intent to speak Ill on the owners of said horses, I would like to complain about the past several TB studs in the subscription being readily “unavailable” to the public. More specifically at the time of the weekly issue’s release. I am not naming any names, just informally complaining. Thank you.

I agree with Andrew, it has become quite frustrating especially when highlighted in The Edge. It most certainly is said player/s choice, but when we can't take advantage of things when we see something that showcases a division we didnt otherwise search for, and finding out it isn't even available to use really is disheartening.

Nack
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Gavin Guile wrote: 3 years ago Lord Prism is open to the public and ready for your mares! If people are looking for an alternative 👀
Sold off all my DS mares for being frustrating, but he's definitely on my list if a good mare ever shows up in my barn (once I stop being completely post-break broke, that is :lol: )
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

One of the problems is that when a stud is advertised, a lot of people throw everything good, bad and indifferent at that stud. For new studs - percentages are everything, and if that stud throws 50% claimers in its first crop because a lot of "good/not for classiest stables" mares were sent to it, it can be impossible to recover even when it sires some freaks (I speak from experience). By pulling back several weeks, the buzz dies down and the owner can have some control over what mares are bred, and make sure their own mares get to use that stud without paying extra money.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Shannon Hunt wrote: 3 years ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 3 years ago Lord Prism is open to the public and ready for your mares! If people are looking for an alternative 👀
Sold off all my DS mares for being frustrating, but he's definitely on my list if a good mare ever shows up in my barn (once I stop being completely post-break broke, that is :lol: )
Thanks Shannon!
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Carolyn Eaton wrote: 3 years ago One of the problems is that when a stud is advertised, a lot of people throw everything good, bad and indifferent at that stud. For new studs - percentages are everything, and if that stud throws 50% claimers in its first crop because a lot of "good/not for classiest stables" mares were sent to it, it can be impossible to recover even when it sires some freaks (I speak from experience). By pulling back several weeks, the buzz dies down and the owner can have some control over what mares are bred, and make sure their own mares get to use that stud without paying extra money.
For sure, I understand; and owners can raise rates too. Kingdom come, comes to mind of a stud that went from 50k to 100k and saw a drastic difference and number of mares. Once he was at 80k that changed all again. Of course the flow of breeding changes through the year too. Some people hammer studs all through break and some all through preseason.

I don't rescind my complaint.
;p
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

If I understand correctly, Andrew isn't directly complaining about stud management styles, but rather that stallions are featured in the Edge without being actually available to the general public, making the feature a bit meaningless for the reader at the time.

That, or Andrew's complaining about all of it, in which case, carry on.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I've had to pace some of my more popular stallions to make sure they're available at the end of the season for both retiring mares and breeders who wait until the end of the year to breed their mares(like myself). I open up spots every few weeks. I believe in this case, the stallion was technically available at the time the Edge was posted (with a handful of spots open), but usually the Edge causes more demand than that.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

It’s getting very frustrating. This wasn’t as recent but I remember Em putting a closed stud in the Edge and saying to just ask the owner to breed. The problem was that the owner would tell everyone who asked no and even if they opened the stud up it was listed at a million dollars. It made no sense and was a waste of an edge spot.

I’d also like to see a little more sleeper studs, all of them recently have been ones everyone knows are good
yeah
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

I agree with what Carolyn said, although personally I have found that if I price an above average stallion at the correct price (not too little to get too many mares) that tends to weed out the "good/not for classiest stable mares." Players that have enough money to afford 50K-65K-or more per breeding are smart enough to not waste that breeding on a low end mare. I am always happy to buy more breedings as needed. I reserve what I need for myself at the beginning of the year, and if I have reserved 35 for my mares, and another 115 have paid the stallion fee, I am happy to buy more. If you ever see one of my stallions without a fee, or marked fully booked, PLMK, as I will add more breedings right away. This is a game, and not RL breeding, where you actually do have to send an application for your broodmare to get a season to the very best stallions.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

Lucas Davenport wrote: 3 years ago I agree with what Carolyn said, although personally I have found that if I price an above average stallion at the correct price (not too little to get too many mares) that tends to weed out the "good/not for classiest stable mares." Players that have enough money to afford 50K-65K-or more per breeding are smart enough to not waste that breeding on a low end mare. I am always happy to buy more breedings as needed. I reserve what I need for myself at the beginning of the year, and if I have reserved 35 for my mares, and another 115 have paid the stallion fee, I am happy to buy more. If you ever see one of my stallions without a fee, or marked fully booked, PLMK, as I will add more breedings right away. This is a game, and not RL breeding, where you actually do have to send an application for your broodmare to get a season to the very best stallions.
I usually set aside the amount that I could possibly need for my stallions right when year flips, or I breed my mares to them right away that I know are going to them. I admit, I don't have anything that requires this, but I do it now and would if I did, then I give back and take a spot as I need. If the stud is as popular as it seems to be, then buying more spots shouldn't worry the owner since they would most likely get whatever they spend on the exchange back.

Jack
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I feel like the purpose of the edge is to inform people of nice stallions that may not be the most popular. From what she’s mentioned during calls and on the forum it seems like she has a list of studs long before the edge is made. It’s not her job to make sure the stallion has 100, or any spots open before writing the edge. It’s informational, there is no guarantee that even if the horse had 100 slots that the owner wouldn’t read the edge and limit them after what they read.

If I like a stallion Em puts in the edge I will either breed if spots are available, book the mare if spots aren’t. I may even message the owner to see if they are willing to send me a slot. Sometimes they say no and I move on, sometimes they say keep your eyes open I’ll make some more available next week and I watch my bookings page for the breed this mare link to appear...

It’s not Em’s responsibility to play the game for us. She is telling us about nice stallions that aren’t necessarily in the limelight, it’s our job to figure out how to use them.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I'm just sad I don't have one of these studs that you have to take down lol
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 3 years ago I feel like the purpose of the edge is to inform people of nice stallions that may not be the most popular. From what she’s mentioned during calls and on the forum it seems like she has a list of studs long before the edge is made. It’s not her job to make sure the stallion has 100, or any spots open before writing the edge. It’s informational, there is no guarantee that even if the horse had 100 slots that the owner wouldn’t read the edge and limit them after what they read.

If I like a stallion Em puts in the edge I will either breed if spots are available, book the mare if spots aren’t. I may even message the owner to see if they are willing to send me a slot. Sometimes they say no and I move on, sometimes they say keep your eyes open I’ll make some more available next week and I watch my bookings page for the breed this mare link to appear...

It’s not Em’s responsibility to play the game for us. She is telling us about nice stallions that aren’t necessarily in the limelight, it’s our job to figure out how to use them.
Going to have to disagree with that hard. It is a paid publication so it is in a way her job to put a little more effort into it which includes making sure you aren't featuring booked full studs.
yeah