A+ Thoroughbred Hypo

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Re: A+ Thoroughbred Hypo

Post by Xander Zone »

I have a stake DR that is okay I guess
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Xander Zone wrote: 3 years ago I have a stake DR that is okay I guess
Stakes DR sucks. I'll buy from you for $300K you should take it.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

I think everyone is right. There appears to be a wide range of outcomes for a DR horse that gallops stakes. I've had a few that have struggled to get to $50K in winnings - I'm assuming they are at the bottom of the stakes galloping spectrum - and you have others like Crayon who I assume is just barely shy of a freak that can compete on any given day with the best of the best.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

There are definitely multiple different outcomes for a TB stakes gallop. Some barely win claimers, others have even won Triple Crown races. I consider the latter to be an extreme exception to the rule, but I think there are other factors in the SIM that may explain this.

On an episode of The Morning Line, the Steward brought up a "heart" stat, something I didn't even know was a thing until she mentioned it. She said that these horses bring their A-game almost every single time, and I was fascinated by this. She cited Spe Chan as an example of a horse with a great heart stat. Then I got to thinking.

Dream All Day, Kindgom Come's little brother, bloomed to freak when he was 3. He remained freak after the gallop threshold change. On the podcast, the Steward said that Risen Today became a stakes gallop after the change. I think comparing horses like Dream All Day (I'm sure other players can cite their own underachieving freaks too) and Risen Today is fun. Since Dream All Day is a freak, shouldn't he numerically be better than Risen Today? If this is the case, why is Risen Today so much more successful? He's a Long Island Classic winner, and Dream All Day is a lifetime underachiever. After the podcast with the Steward, I thought the heart stat may be the reason why. I hypothesize that Risen Today's heart stat must be through the roof, while Dream All Day's might've been subpar. Is this the case for other overachieving stakes and underperforming freaks? Is it heart? Is it RNG and the randomness factor that's present in every race? Is it neither of those things? Is it something else we have no idea about? I think it's so cool that there are some elements of the game that are still mysteries to us.

Anyway, this was just some disorganized food for thought.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago Pete’s mad spatula didn’t win the derby.
I read that as Pete's "Mad Spatula" and went to look up a horse named Mad Spatula.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Gigi Gofaster wrote: 3 years ago
Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago Pete’s mad spatula didn’t win the derby.
I read that as Pete's "Mad Spatula" and went to look up a horse named Mad Spatula.
:lol:
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

But would Crayola still be a stakes had the freak level not been raised? Like had it not raised, he could have easily jumped up to the old level freak but because the freak bar was raised, he just fell .1 below it.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Nena Olson wrote: 3 years ago But would Crayola still be a stakes had the freak level not been raised? Like had it not raised, he could have easily jumped up to the old level freak but because the freak bar was raised, he just fell .1 below it.
He's definitely an "old freak" but my point was just to not throw away all your stakes because you don't know where they fall.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Burgundy Hill Farms
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Burgundy Hill Farms »

Nini,

Your post reminded me of Tiznow and his back-to-back Breeders' Cup Classic wins back in the day. In 2000, I mean, who could forget his EPIC final furlong when Giant's Causeway pulled next to him and they went eye to eye to the wire? ALL heart. Then, the next year he fought virtually the length of the stretch with Sakhee to, as the great Tom Durkin called, "Tiznow wins it for America!!" You talk about a horse with heart...I get chills just thinking about those gutsy finishes! He's one of my all time faves

Burgundy Hill Farms
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Burgundy Hill Farms »

Oh, and another heart race...the 2007 Belmont...When Rages to Riches moved outside and went with Curlin the whole stretch...she just did not want to lose...

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

As someone who also frequently gets annoyed at stakes DR, I have to add that I've had several EXCEPTIONAL stakes gallopers recently. I always give them a chance on the track in at least a few races before I geld the colts or retire the fillies to the breeding shed, and a few in particular have made me very happy that I did.

For example, this mare made me convinced of the "heart" stat being a thing before I even heard about the podcast. If you want to talk about a filly who brought her A game basically every race, look no further than I Am the Storm. She was a freak on the old scale, however, but got bumped down to stakes. She was an incredibly fun mare to campaign.

There is a full spectrum inside every gallop category, so give those stakes runners a chance. Or just send them to me, especially the fillies!
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Nini Hunter wrote: 3 years ago Is it heart? Is it RNG and the randomness factor that's present in every race? Is it neither of those things? Is it something else we have no idea about? I think it's so cool that there are some elements of the game that are still mysteries to us.
👏
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

And I just bred my first A+ foal. Meet https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... ID=1392847
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Nice looking filly, Danny.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Retired Into The Unknown last night, and she's getting A+ hypos with at least half a dozen stallions. The game is evolving and the breeding is getting better - anyone else finding any new A+ thoroughbred hypos?