New Players shouldn't be able to injure horses

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

New Players shouldn't be able to injure horses

Post by Danny Derby »

Here's an idea. What if it was completely impossible for a new player to injure a horse from overworking or overracing it?

Rather than someone who probably has no idea play ending up with several injuries early on, what if they instead got a message that

- Their horse WOULD have been injured but they're under new player protection
- Explaining that overworking/overtraining/overracing a horse can result in injury
- That their horse needs 3 weeks rest but will be good as new after that
- They'll be able to injure their horses for real once they're no longer a new player so watch out in the future
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Re: New Players shouldn't be able to injure horses

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I got a message similar Danny. I was told that my horse was injured and that it would have cost $10k but didnt' because I was new. He was still hurt, though. And it was surprisingly easy to hurt him. Here is his history. W5D1 he raced and chipped his knee.

Y56-W5-D1 Has a knee chip.
Y56-W4-D5 Moved to Middleground Park via airplane
Y56-W4-D5 Galloped
Y56-W4-D3 Jogged
Y56-W4-D2 Gelded
Y56-W3-D7 Galloped

The upside was that it taught me to be more careful. The downside was that with no first-class shipping it is a bit of a guessing (or vetting) game as to how tired your horse will be when you have to commit to entering and shipping several days out. It's probably the trickiest part of being new.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Kelly L Haggerty wrote: 3 years ago I got a message similar Danny. I was told that my horse was injured and that it would have cost $10k but didnt' because I was new. He was still hurt, though. And it was surprisingly easy to hurt him. Here is his history. W5D1 he raced and chipped his knee.

Y56-W5-D1 Has a knee chip.
Y56-W4-D5 Moved to Middleground Park via airplane
Y56-W4-D5 Galloped
Y56-W4-D3 Jogged
Y56-W4-D2 Gelded
Y56-W3-D7 Galloped

The upside was that it taught me to be more careful. The downside was that with no first-class shipping it is a bit of a guessing (or vetting) game as to how tired your horse will be when you have to commit to entering and shipping several days out. It's probably the trickiest part of being new.
Oh, this is already exists then ignore me! :D
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I posted something similar in the one small thing thread, except I suggested horses get scratched from races for new players if they are below a threshold tiredness and the newbie is told that it was a vet scratch to prevent injury. Then again, that doesn’t cover training injuries.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I have said this a lot: the $5,000 to get rid of a horse is a tax that hurts poor barns the most. Established barns that can pension and stall at our own farms are not really affected as bad.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Carole Hanson wrote: 3 years ago I posted something similar in the one small thing thread, except I suggested horses get scratched from races for new players if they are below a threshold tiredness and the newbie is told that it was a vet scratch to prevent injury. Then again, that doesn’t cover training injuries.
This would have been nice! Or even a free PM 36 hours out from either the vet or the trainer like " I noticed Zippy is entered in a race this week. I think he is too tired for that and might get hurt".

I do feel that people should read the instructions, though. So at some point there has to be an expectation that they are paying attention to that and to what vets have taken the time to write and have some awareness.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I think that Will Rogers said it best....

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

There is So Much help available to new players and if they choose to not seek out information on the forum, or ignore that help...perhaps there should be consequences. One mistake that hurts a little might prevent more mistakes down the road.

As most new stables don't have a lot of money to deal with injuries, I think the injuries shouldn't cost money, but still, I think the horse should be sidelined for a time. The fees + losing the chance of your horse skipping a race date, to me, for a newer player...it's kind of like double punishment. They are still in a learning mode, but I don't think they should get a free ride on some basic play practices.

It might even be cool to give new players 3 strikes per week. If they injure 3 horses no consequences ...then after that the horses get sidelined. I still don't think fees should apply though....as that's kind of double punishment in my opinion. The fees + losing the chance of your horse earning money by being forced to skip a race date or two.

Everyone makes a mistake from time to time... I've did it last year with Rihanna a turf router stakes winner. Raced her in South Africa one week, and the very next week raced her in South America...and she's a somewhat unsound type. I dodged a big bullet there as she did not come up injured. And it would have served me right if she did, for just not paying attention. But that was enough scare to make me very aware of when my horses last raced or exercised....lol. (refer again to Will Roger's quote :P )

But younger players, in spite of suggestions to read the forum and on the training page to not over do exercises...will exercise and work horses then race them all in one week....do it again without resting the horse and then are puzzled as to why it broke down.

When I joined a million years ago, there were no limits on exercises or works...people use to work their yearlings on week 1 sometimes...in spite of being told in the forum it could be dangerous. And if someone wished to gallop their horse twice in a day they could - and those warnings in the training page that we have now, were not there back then. So, new players do have things in place that are there to alert them to danger and limit to some extent the works/exercises.

I don't know if new players have to pay for vet fees or not, but I think that would be a good thing for them to not have to do so.
Maybe allow them free vet service until they learn more about recovery times. (plus it can help them out upon occasion with equipment piece.) Or even do something like give them 6 free vet visits a day and anything after that, at 1/2 price?

I'm not trying to be hard or mean to new players, but it just seems to me that consequences can be a mighty powerful teacher.
Getting a reminder of that from time to time shores that up... like I said, ever since I raced Rihanna back to back weeks, I've been being much more careful in checking my race dates for my horses. :P

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Jake Simski
Two Year Old

Post by Jake Simski »

I think the no charge is the fair guard rails coming from someone whose trying. Every time i get "that" message, i look at the horse and figure out what I did wrong. I've only killed a 1 horse so far and am down to injuries caused by mass race entry. I've come up with a couple of ideas for checklists and long for the days when I can run less horses.

I at least now enter all of my Allowance plus aside from my barn and am down to just risking the most of my claimer barn.

My name is Jake and I haven't injured a horse in 54 minutes and 12s :(
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

hi Jake.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I agree new players shouldn't be able to injure horses, unless the player is from AUSTRALIA in which case they should lose 2 horses for injuring 1.
Jack Ryder
Turf Router

Post by Jack Ryder »

RNB Stables wrote: 3 years ago I agree new players shouldn't be able to injure horses, unless the player is from AUSTRALIA in which case they should lose 2 horses for injuring 1.
Oh thank goodness I am not from AUSTRALIA.