Derby Hype?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Derby Hype?

Post by The Steward »

Carole Hanson wrote: 3 years ago
The Steward wrote: 3 years ago We've obviously had good fillies run in the Derby and good fillies win AND lose the Derby, but I don't think we've ever had a year where everyone seemed to think a filly winning was a foregone conclusion. For a filly to win, the colts usually have to be kinda slow. Is that what is going on this year?
I disagree, would you call the horses in Skyfall's Derby slow?
Actually.... yes.

Doctor was crazy fast, but wanted no part of 1 1/4.
Until the End - "just okay" not a superhorse by any means
Linguistics - A good 2yo that wanted 1 1/2-2 miles
Proberb - just okay
Wish Upon a Star - Obviously one of the greatest of all time, but her only 1 1/4 win was with an 89
etc etc.... these were not the world's best colts. I'm not saying they couldn't outrun me, they could!, but they're not the same quality as like.... Maelstrom.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

After seeing the dispersal of JS this week, I can only imagine we are seeing the Zenyatta/Rachel duo tearin it up with the fellas.. kind of as a tribute of a time gone by, a time when the fillies were awesome and the colts could be fast and still lose..
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago Actually.... yes.

Proberb - just okay
Wish Upon a Star - Obviously one of the greatest of all time, but her only 1 1/4 win was with an 89
etc etc.... these were not the world's best colts. I'm not saying they couldn't outrun me, they could!, but they're not the same quality as like.... Maelstrom.
I'm getting up there in years so I may not be remembering correctly, but didn't Doctor win the SC Classic which I believe is a 10 furlong race?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

Proberb - just okay
I'm getting up there in years so I may not be remembering correctly, but didn't Doctor win the SC Classic which I believe is a 10 furlong race?
He did, he got loose on the lead in another pretty bad field (not sure why they ran so poorly.... Skyfall and Castle Keep got trounced), the next fastest horse ran an 82!!!!!, yikes
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

But also...Owl Let You Know, Spe Chan, Schuylkill to name a few recent fillies kicking boys' behinds...

The boys don't have to be slow pokes for the girls to shine!

Just sayin' ;)
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Spe Chan out-dueled spatula and rathalos and marvel
;p
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Carole Hanson wrote: 3 years ago But also...Owl Let You Know, Spe Chan, Schuylkill to name a few recent fillies kicking boys' behinds...

Just sayin' ;)
Totally agree, just feel like everyone is dismissing the boys this year when they don't deserve it. I like a couple of them!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Carole Hanson wrote: 3 years ago But also...Owl Let You Know, Spe Chan, Schuylkill to name a few recent fillies kicking boys' behinds...

Just sayin' ;)
Totally agree, just feel like everyone is dismissing the boys this year when they don't deserve it. I like a couple of them!
Oh no I agree it’s still definitely an open race, not a done deal by any means.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

He did, he got loose on the lead in another pretty bad field (not sure why they ran so poorly.... Skyfall and Castle Keep got trounced), the next fastest horse ran an 82!!!!!, yikes
All I'm saying is that if a horse wins the SC Classic and runs 2nd in the Derby then you can't say they wanted no part of 1-1/4. In fact all evidence would point to them loving 1-1/4 with results like those.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago We've obviously had good fillies run in the Derby and good fillies win AND lose the Derby, but I don't think we've ever had a year where everyone seemed to think a filly winning was a foregone conclusion. For a filly to win, the colts usually have to be kinda slow. Is that what is going on this year?
Through the Ghost and Castles Crumble are both extremely offended.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Mike Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Mike Eaton »

I have 2 in there.

Avatartist I think has the better shot. I think he will like the distance. I love him alot. James Dean was my favorite sire since East and everything on his Dam side was classy and great too. Hes named after one of our real life race horses in the harness world who is as game as they come. I play to win this race so need to be in it to win it. Never confident, but this will be fun!

You won me Over I bred to be a champ and last year disappointed me as he looked to be a listed stakes or allowance horse. This year he became a freak and got 2nd against another derby entry, and then won his last race both with figures in the 90's. I love his dams family she cost me 10 million and she won at 2 miles. His sire looked like he could do shorter routes, but I see some bred to go longer.... his babies seem to be milers? So distance + speed = derby winner. I can dream! It will be fun to have two entries in there.

I think it is wide open I know the girls look good, however the guys seem consistent. Erin has some real nice dirt routers would not be shocked if she won this, also Prince Rambling maybe my longshot pick....
NEVER CAUTIOUS

Every filly’s fantasy,
bred to go long but quick to plz

18 : 10 - 1 - 0 LTE $2,227,500
Baltimore Crown (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Seek Thrills Handicap (G1)
Arcadia Classic (G1)
Brakebills Stakes (G2)
Garden State (G2)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I entered Set In Motion. He’s a freak, and runs well enough. Maybe he’ll beat my previous and only other derby attempt finishing 11th with Blew By You 🤣
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt