Multimillion Dollar DR Race Week 9?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Multimillion Dollar DR Race Week 9?

Post by Nini Panini »

So, I’ve been thinking.

Some may or may not know that I will be taking an extended break from the SIM starting in Year 59, or at the very least cutting back on time spent on here by around 95%. Before that happens, I wanted to do something fun. Something big. Head up something that could be cool, you know?

While dirt route is not a neglected division by any means, myself and others feel like there is a gap in the racing calendar between Week 6 and Week 16. Yes, there are a few Grade 1's week 12 and 14 for a fraction of the purse money, but those are so close to the Steward's Cup, and running in them against tough competition puts our horses at risk of running too hard and bouncing right before the big dance.

I propose a big Week 9 Day 5 dirt route race going ten furlongs sponsored by we, the players. Initially, I propose a $1 million buy-in, similar to the Pegasus World Cup in years past, with the victor getting the spoils of our gamble. $1 Million is a lot of money, but high risks yield high rewards, and this time, such a race is not hot off the heels of the very demanding Steward's Cup Classic. Timing is ideal, since there are still 7 weeks until the Steward's Cup from this point, allowing multiple preparation routes and options.

I know this could be a big ask, but I believe it could be a really cool event.

I have actually brought this up to a number of people via PMs, and there are in fact four people who declared to me they are in should it occur, and one who said they were possible to enter. I wanted to get a few people on board before bringing this to the greater SIM public so it is not just an abstract idea, and I also discussed it with the Steward, who agreed to created the race. This race would be open to absolutely anyone willing to buy in, so if you’re interested, please either respond here or PM me in game!

If we could get a final field set by Week 8 Day 5 results time (8:00 PST), this would be the most optimal to give The Steward time to create the race!

Thanks for reading, and happy racing!

Edit to Include Conditions, which I very poorly left out on my first post:
Year-58 Week-9 Day-5 (10pm) Long Island Park (NY) Condition: Sloppy. 1 1/4 miles. Dirt. Thoroughbred. 4 year olds and up. Stakes. Purse TBA - Grade 1
Last edited by Nini Panini 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Re: Multimillion Dollar DR Race Week 9?

Post by Nena Olson »

I’d only be okay with this if all divisions were also added and every single cent of the purse was player donated. We are trying to remove money from the game, not add more to it. Plus, how would that affect the Travers, Canadian triple crown? They hardly have huge purses... why run there if a $10 mil race is created. Would this be 4 years old and older only even though it’s end of the year when 3yos are starting to prep for the Classic/Distaff? Would this be a female and male division? What about the American Maturity, Spa Classic, Kentucky Classic? Would those G1 races have any worthy entries? Probably not. Honestly I’ve never had an issue with finding a dirt route prep race w10/11 so I’m surprised others are. Other divisions have the same “gap” between Dubai and SC so they probably also want another way to earn big money.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

To clear up a few things, this would be Week 9, the same day as the Long Island Classic ($2m purse), the final leg of the US Triple Crown. So, I don't see this impacting the Travers more than say, the LIC or the Canadian Triple Crown does (and the Queen's Plate has a $1 m purse). I don't think there would be a problem agreeing to 4+ as the conditions of the race. I don't believe the issue is finding "a" prep race per se, but something with a large purse, and this is a combined betting opportunity (with your entry fee as the bet), and chance to see some of the top horses in the same race, rather than spread out. There's always an interest in proposed match races, and this is it on a slightly larger scale.

This also would be player sponsored, so $$$ wouldn't be added to the game, simply redistributed.

Not everyone has the $$ for a $1 million buy in, and so the American Maturity-G1 ($300k) would probably draw horses that like the distance, but not the buy in. Keep in mind, the pace scenario may set up better for the Maturity for your horse. If you get 8 players to buy in, 6th through 8th will get nothing back for that $1 million, so in assessing the fields, you may have a horse simply opt for the Maturity for that reason. Other horses are better suited to 9 furlongs than 10, so they'd still be pointing for the Kentucky Classic, for example.

If someone wants to organize other divisions, they certainly could volunteer for it. Nini contacted a number of players before making this post to gauge interest. Anyway, no matter how this goes (or doesn't), thanks to Nini for coming up with the concept.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The only concern I have on this is the inflated career earnings for some of these horses based on the fact that certain players can afford to enter and others cannot. And we all know career earnings does play in some part to how people choose to use a stallion. Only way to get by this scenario would be to cap[ the purse and distribute the remaining as a true bet.

Let's say 10 horses enter and 10 mill collected. Cap the purse at 1 mill, split 5 ways and then the remaining 9mill is paid out separately to the winning trainers and doesn't hit the affect the horse earnings. The remaining payout can be done manually by the player who created the race after the race is actually ran.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I will hold the money for you.
;p
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago The only concern I have on this is the inflated career earnings for some of these horses based on the fact that certain players can afford to enter and others cannot. And we all know career earnings does play in some part to how people choose to use a stallion. Only way to get by this scenario would be to cap[ the purse and distribute the remaining as a true bet.

Let's say 10 horses enter and 10 mill collected. Cap the purse at 1 mill, split 5 ways and then the remaining 9mill is paid out separately to the winning trainers and doesn't hit the affect the horse earnings. The remaining payout can be done manually by the player who created the race after the race is actually ran.
Eh, if I'm paying $1 million to enter, and the caliber of the field stacked accordingly, I want more than a $1 million purse. I'm not saying I'm opposed to any cap, but $1 million is too low. If that's the condition, I'd pass.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago The only concern I have on this is the inflated career earnings for some of these horses based on the fact that certain players can afford to enter and others cannot. And we all know career earnings does play in some part to how people choose to use a stallion. Only way to get by this scenario would be to cap[ the purse and distribute the remaining as a true bet.

The only thing people use to decide stallions are hypomates. If my $351K earning maiden hypos better than your $10M earning champ, the maiden is getting the mares.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

The only thing people use to decide stallions are hypomates. If my $351K earning maiden hypos better than your $10M earning champ, the maiden is getting the mares.
you know that's a lie. But I understand your point since you are already on team let's inflate our potential stud earnings
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago
you know that's a lie. But I understand your point since you are already on team let's inflate our potential stud earnings
Hypos are king is the truest statement there is when it comes to breeding. Obviously some people do it different, but it’s what really makes or breaks studs, not earnings.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Hypos are king is the truest statement there is when it comes to breeding. Obviously some people do it different, but it’s what really makes or breaks studs, not earnings.
so then if hypos are king and career earnings doesn't play a role in the decision making when choosing a stud, there is no reason to have player created races with large inflated purses. More reason to place a cap and exchange your bet wagers after the race is ran.
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

so then if hypos are king and career earnings doesn't play a role in the decision making when choosing a stud, there is no reason to have player created races with large inflated purses. More reason to place a cap and exchange your bet wagers after the race is ran.
When I breed I GENERALLY look at the earnings of the sire, then I hypomate based on the earnings... so yeah... Just my small little input ^^''
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dan Gordon »

I'm in with Prince Rambling if it's a fast track. Any amount and any distance. The racing gods decided that the LI Classic will be in the slop and my boy doesn't like that.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

I am thrilled with Dan's interest, but as a true testament to my forgetfulness, this race is being proposed to take place at Long Island Park as well, and should also be 4yo+ so as not to cheapen or impact the Triple Crown races, as it would directly conflict with the Long Island Classic.

I apologize Dan; that was very unprofessional of me not to include.

And regarding the larger conversation - it was never my intention to open a can of worms. Just do something fun on my way out.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Nini Hunter wrote: 3 years ago

And regarding the larger conversation - it was never my intention to open a can of worms. Just do something fun on my way out.
it's a fun idea, but i feel like we are moving back to the Pegasus of old was also a hot topic back then with the inflated purses.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

So... 3 weeks from the big Dubai races? Is it really not fun to run in 300k races anymore? Ah, to be at that level...
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚