The Kentucky Derby got me thinking/wondering

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

The Kentucky Derby got me thinking/wondering

Post by Dan Gordon »

What was the most inexpensive horses to ever win a Triple Crown race here in the SIM? It's still unfathomable that Medina Spirit only fetched $1,000 at auction.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: The Kentucky Derby got me thinking/wondering

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Surprisingly the vast majority of Louisville Derby winners are home breds. The cheapest Steward bred I could see was Sports Jersey purchased by Ara Davies for $25,000. It was way back in Year 4 at the TBSS yearling sales.

On second look, Best Revenge was a gift of stud fee from Jon Xett to Xander Zone, so technically that would trump Sports Jersey? Nice one Jon!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Medina Spirit actually sold for $35,000 as a 2 year old to his current owners, so he was a pin-hook for whoever bought him for $1,000 as a yearling. Still, not very much money for a Kentucky Derby winner though!
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Since we have gallop comments from birth it’s probably pretty rare to see people selling their future derby champions. You might find some cheap other G1 winners.
yeah
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dan Gordon »

Well, if you broaden it, there will be many examples. Look at this idiot who put his horse in a claiming race and he ended up in the Hall of Fame!

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=261960
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Don’t beat yourself up Dan, that was way before we had Late Bloomer comments.