I Didn't Know This Was A Thing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

I Didn't Know This Was A Thing

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Okay, so I have heard of the horses who improve during the mid-season gallop change/New Year rollover, and the horses who improve during their first start, but this is a new one: https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1287867

She got stomped with a 31 speed figure on debut, to come back 10 days later and dead-heat with a very fast filly with a 92. Same distance, track condition, and location in both starts.

I guess I never really considered that your horse could reach their potential by bombing their first race, I always thought that a first race related improvement happened during the race.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: I Didn't Know This Was A Thing

Post by Carole Hanson »

It's the first 2 starts in which they can improve, that's why I always run them twice at least. Really cool when it happens, congrats!

ETA: Just noticed she's not yours lol!
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago It's the first 2 starts in which they can improve, that's why I always run them twice at least. Really cool when it happens, congrats!

ETA: Just noticed she's not yours lol!
Ah, thank you! I didn't know that. It gives me more hope :lol:
Congrats out to Jon, he's sure good at getting the best out of his horses!
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Respectfully, I don't think it is a true thing. I did nothing right with poor Respectfully so it has to be some sort of quirky SIM dee-lee-O. Suffice it to say, I was absolutely shocked with the result.

Looking deeper into a classic training blunder:
by Slickrock? who? Poor Slickrock. I do think he can be something special though.
out of Miedema, a great Dutch female soccer player but a so-so racer_> but the dam sire, well there is Gladiator, so she has that on the plus side.

Respectfully, worked 7 times but never with the right equipment.
I actually screwed up working this 2yo filly: year 58 week 6. Tuesday, 5 f. dirt wheeling her back 58.6 Sunday at 5 f. TURF. What?
Her week 10 Friday debut was awful but not unexpected for a slow allowance type, who galloped week 10 Thursday! and surprisingly promptly gave up her second equipment piece. I probably entered her with another Xett filly to try to split a race because who gallops Thursday if they are entered Friday?
I really screwed up big time by entering her back week 13 Monday. What was I thinking entering a not so sound 2 yo on short rest?
The result was stupidly annoying because I have no idea how weird-o SIM computes this stuff. I'd guess that my higher level 2 yo filly that is O for 2, has run in Freak/Peak races so far and Respectfully caught a huge mathematical break somehow.
Respectfully is on the shelf right now, because I fully expect bad news in my In-box that she had a stall accident, tripped over the barn goat or something. Has SIM ever taken a horse away simply due to inept trainer errors?

-------------------------
Bottom line is that I am no super wizard who knows how to get the best out of SIM horses, far from it. Thanks for playing SIM, jX
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 2 years ago to come back 10 days later and dead-heat with a very fast filly
I wish, right now Whispering Spirit looks like she's a faster worker than racer, unfortunately! Hopefully she'll catch up some more at 3.

But I agree, after seeing the result I checked out the other filly and that was super cool to see, the Sim always has some surprises :)
Lisa
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Jon there’s no way Respectfully is still an allowance horse, those simply don’t run a 92 and especially not in DR. And hey I’ve heard plenty about Slickrock before, he does have a SC winner to his name :P

As for the break she only did 1.5 weeks so I think she’ll be absolutely fine and won’t be on the list to get hit with injury. These days, even on one week’s rest I wouldn’t be too concerned so long as she got a bigger rest after and you have first class shipping on.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Well this is interesting: “Y58-W10-D4 Trainer: 'Respectfully' sure moves like a very nice horse! This horse looks to be a late bloomer. You should bring her along carefully. Respectfully is always looking around on the track. Blinkers would be a good solution.“
Very Nice = allowance, correct? jX
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Lisa Bennert wrote: 2 years ago
Lily Wilkins wrote: 2 years ago
But I agree, after seeing the result I checked out the other filly and that was super cool to see, the Sim always has some surprises :)
Lisa
Honestly, if SIM didn’t have both positive and negative surprises, the game would not be as enjoyable. Play on, jX
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Jon Xett wrote: 2 years ago Well this is interesting: “Y58-W10-D4 Trainer: 'Respectfully' sure moves like a very nice horse! This horse looks to be a late bloomer. You should bring her along carefully. Respectfully is always looking around on the track. Blinkers would be a good solution.“
Very Nice = allowance, correct? jX
Horses sometimes jump up after their first race and do significantly better in their second, I'd be curious to see what the gallop comment is now after the W13 race. Though I had a horse dead heat with a 98 SF and he's still a stakes gallop, but the horse he dead heated with improved to freak.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1670238
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Yes, what Nena said. You can check it by using the "Horse Talent" function when you go to train your horse (it's in the same place as equipment checks)
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Yup! Mary Weather Says: “Listen to your fellow SIMsters, you might learn something, under her breath (bonehead).”
Thanks for the information and hints.

Jon Xett - Still playing SIM like it’s Year 10.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Jon Xett wrote: 2 years ago Yup! Mary Weather Says: “Listen to your fellow SIMsters, you might learn something, under her breath (bonehead).”
Thanks for the information and hints.

Jon Xett - Still playing SIM like it’s Year 10.
Still winning tho ;)
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Guinea Saurus Rex was my biggest first start dud to DAMNNNNNNN horse. Interestingly that same year I had a horse out of one of GSR's 1/2 siblings who galloped better preracing and had the better debut but then never really seemed to reach his full potential Kitalpha though admittedly 400k in earnings ins't horribly somehow in my head I remember him being worse.

But yea Em has said on podcasts before that some horses are programmed to improve after their first start
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

On Week 8 Day 4 if this year, she galloped Allowance, Late Bloomer...(as she has since she was a yearling)

Tonight, she won a Grade 1 stakes : D
Rumors

It was a small field, but still had other G1 winners in it, and I was just thinking *maybe* she could pick up a 5th, 4th or 3rd at best paycheck. This is also the longest race she's ever been in at 1 1/4 miles.

The race: https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=1679973

Maybe she did improve week 8...but just after day 4 ?
I haven't had a chance to gallop her since then.

I might have to cough up some GPs and test her talent level...lol. I'm sure she improved, but I don't know if she's a stakes or a freak now.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Gallops changeover week 8 day 7 after barrier trials, so it’s entirely possible she did improve mid way through the year :)