Fiery Eyes-What Do I Do?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What do I do with her now?

Steward's Cup Turf (3yo+ OPEN)
5%
Arima Kinen (3yo+ OPEN)
No votes
Steward's Cup Filly & Mare Turf (3yp+ F&M)
80%
English Champion Stakes (3yo+ OPEN)
5%
Other race (please specify)
No votes
Retire
10%

Total votes: 20

Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Fiery Eyes-What Do I Do?

Post by Carole Hanson »

I am very frustrated with Fiery Eyes this season, she has given me a lot of headaches and has honestly made me pretty upset a couple of times this season (I know I know, it's just a game). I want to avoid being this upset again to finish off the year, would not be fun to be sulking for a whole week or so as I wait for gallops. So I ask you all, if you owned Fiery Eyes, what would YOU do? Not what you consider would make me happy but rather what you would do that would make YOU happy.

I had a plan to gun for the SC Turf no matter what but I feel she has little to no chance there now. Em suggested the Arima Kinen, whilst the SC F&M Turf is of course an option but week 16 races are always a c-rapshoot. The English Champion Stakes looks unlikely considering Lightout is there and she can't beat him. I was very VERY tempted to hit retire after today's Arc and it's definitely still playing on my mind but then she goes out with such a whimper (still a possibility though if she runs week 16).

Just in general, it's so frustrating when you have a horse run as good a 1.5 season as she did and then just bomb the next season (yes she won the Pegasus but has been more than lackluster since, especially when you think about the potential she had). The reason I've been so upset with her runs is because I feel like at this point her legacy is kind of tarnished.

Anyway, please vote if you'd like, and if you have the time I would love to hear your thoughts too!
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Fiery Eyes-What Do I Do?

Post by Laura Ferguson »

If you're looking for a win, I'd probably go F&M Turf, with Arima Kinen as a second choice, depending how that field shakes out. I really think she's better at 1 1/8-1 1/4 miles than she is at 1 1/2 miles. Her wins at 3 at 1 1/2 miles were both against Tight To Me, my filly, who is nice, but not in the same league as you've been facing in the Arc.

I don't think her legacy has been tainted; she's been holding her own against the absolute best in the division. It is so rare to have one horse able to dominate all races, over a variety of distances, for several years in a row. I think your disappointment/expectations are coloring your view a little. Up until last year's Arc, she'd been facing only her own age group, and it is a tough bunch of older horses out there. The horses that finished behind her in the Arc are no slouches either, but in a field like that, only one horse can win.

Good luck with her, whatever you decide!
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

As brilliant as she is, she’s never won 1 1/2 in open company. No shame in that, she terrorizes the filly division. I agree with Laura and would recommend the SC Filly and Mare.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

Nothing she has done has tarnished her legacy. She is one of the all time greats, won at multiple distances, beat the boys in the biggest races. If she were mine I would be thinking she might have lost a half of step and can no longer be expected to win every race like she did earlier. Step 1 would be stay away from the colts unless the best are somewhere else, step 2 is while it's tough to say where she is best at distance wise I would say 10f or so. I'd go FM SC Turf which is at 10f against the mares. It's a $2.5m race! And while were at it unless she totally clunks week 16 she would definitely race next season
Karl Smythe
Hall of Fame

Post by Karl Smythe »

Carole,
She is lovely x 5!!!
I would go to the SC FM, even though I am heading there too, so will make it tougher with you in it.
Arima Kinen 2nd choice but that distance in open company is good for her too.
Just out of curiosity, have you paid the trainer to tell you her latest gallop?
Might be worth checking.
Best of luck!
Karl
Is the glass half full? or half empty?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Thanks so much for the valuable thoughts so far!Looks like so far everyone is in agreement.

1. Shes definitely retiring, I want foals from her ASAP and there’s not much more left for her to prove, at least not now that she has lost a step.
2. I did check with the trainer, she’s still freak/peak.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Getting an SC under her belt would be wonderful, as you said, there's not much else for her to prove, unless you want to get all silly-like and race her to age 7, trying to make $10 million...lol.

The SC for fillies and mares is a hard race, as is chasing after the boys in any Grade 1 and no matter your choice, I hope she gets a last win for you before she's retired.

I'm hoping the same for Roughian...although with my mare, it would totally be a hail Mary type of win. I rarely dodge horses when putting my horse in a race...but Fiery Eyes caused me to make a few different choices with some races over the past few years.

She's a still a force to reckon with and I think too, as some have mentioned, she seems more comfortable in the shorter routes, and I think her chances are still quite good in winning one more Grade 1. (I voted for the SC Filly and Mare, btw)

No matter how she finishes Wk 16, she's still one of the All Time top mares the Sim's ever seen, and I think it's going to be a while before any mares come along to bump her out of the top 3 lists.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Overwhelming vote went for the F&M Turf, which does make sense. Facing her own gender, it's her supposed best distance and she would be one of if not THE favourite.

But that also means it'll be THAT much more disappointing if she loses that race. So, I went for one of the races with no votes, the SC Turf :) I feel like I'm going into this one with much less expectations so hopefully that will curb the disappointment.

Thanks everyone for all the input, it really gave me a lot to think about!
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I have to say, I don't get this logic at all, but it is your decision. I thought the question was which race was she was most likely to win, not which race is she least likely to win, so you're less disappointed when she doesn't. I do wish you and Fiery Eyes the best of luck, but if she is in the hunt at 1 1/4 miles in the Turf, then fades, are you going to be questioning that choice?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 2 years ago I have to say, I don't get this logic at all, but it is your decision. I thought the question was which race was she was most likely to win, not which race is she least likely to win, so you're less disappointed when she doesn't. I do wish you and Fiery Eyes the best of luck, but if she is in the hunt at 1 1/4 miles in the Turf, then fades, are you going to be questioning that choice?
I think my logic changed with time and with perspective. The original post was made in a pretty emotional state after I’d had a very long and very stressful week in real life and everything just felt bleh. As for being in the hunt at 1 1/4 then fading, well she runs from the back of the pack so she either makes no challenge at all or she does make a challenge and doesn’t make up enough ground. To be fair it’s not like she’s awful at 1 1/2 and she has beaten some of her fellow competitors here at that distance so I think she’ll do alright.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 2 years ago I have to say, I don't get this logic at all, but it is your decision. I thought the question was which race was she was most likely to win, not which race is she least likely to win, so you're less disappointed when she doesn't. I do wish you and Fiery Eyes the best of luck, but if she is in the hunt at 1 1/4 miles in the Turf, then fades, are you going to be questioning that choice?

https://youtu.be/7DpMwDgxC-I