What do you do?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Should I retire or race?

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Race, he hasn't won any "big" races
94%
Retire and gamble on getting good hypos
6%

Total votes: 31

Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

What do you do?

Post by Louise Bayou »

With colts like like this? I don't think I've done the best job with him but he has been a very annoying freak to say the least. He did get to the 350k finally and I do love his pedigree but I'm debating retiring him. I don't think he will get much action but I do have Burreaux who may retire this year. And a couple colts next year.. what to do?!?
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Re: What do you do?

Post by Dave Trainer »

Give him a try in a big race next year. He's been doing well in the G3 and you won't actually lose anything by doing that as he wouldn't get many mares this year based on his current record.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Race, he hasn’t stopped winning. Go until the wheels fall off
;p
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I see why you hesitate, he has a nice family. Do you know when he reached peak? May he theoretically run well as a 6-year-old? You seem to have found his niche this year. Would you enjoy keeping him running in the same manner next year? If not, then maybe rather retire and hope for the best. If you like racing him where he is, I would keep him on the track.

(I am not suggesting he wouldn't manage one of the bigger races, but it would be a bit of a gamble as well. Rather make your decision based on what you already know he can do? If it's a toss up between gambling for nicks and gambling for what he can do on the track, I would keep him on the track. : ) )
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

If you’re still enjoying racing him I would stick to it, if not, take the retiring gamble!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Hi Louise...I can agree with the comments made here. It’s a tough spot and I was in a similar one a few years back with Cats. I was working so hard to get his earnings over $1 million and he was fun to run. I finally retired him at 9. He hypoed beautifully gave me some fun horses to run. Now his mares are pretty respectable too.

I’d love to turn back time and give him a few more years in the breeding shed, but maybe the Sim Gods wouldn’t be so kind with me second time around. I can see going in either direction (your boys pedigree is very nice!), but I hope your decision doesn’t come back to haunt you.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

I would definitely insure him.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 2 years ago I would definitely insure him.
oops! Thanks for the heads up lol
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

You aren't TESTING him. Put him in w the big boys instead of racking up[ simple wins.
Willie Carson
Miler

Post by Willie Carson »

He’s just run a SF 92 over a probably inadequate trip. Give him a chance at grade 1 level next year. His pedigree suggests that he wants at least 12f and he’s not run at that distance all season
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I'd give him a go at a G1 race. You just never know!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Ryan Whitehead
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ryan Whitehead »

Race another season. He does have a nice pedigree but quite honestly as a trainer that mainly focuses on TR I think he will be overlooked because of earnings.

There are just way too many high quality studs in the division. My concern would be he is a mid tier stud and doesn't get any love. For instance I have quite a few of studs in my barn like Forefront who has only seen 1 outside mare this season and that was from the Steward. Dr. Stephens has seen 1 outside mare. End of the Story and Raise your Fists have seen 0. Heck Phenomenal One and Speak with Fists both earned over 5M and have nice pedigrees and have only seen 16 and 9 outside mare respectfully.
Improvisational 80K
Fade to Black 50K
Moneyed 40K
Moose Knuckle 28K
Forefront 15K
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Race him! And I'd really try him going 1 1/4-1 1/2 miles again. He hasn't done much of that, but when he was in the distance range and once he got his legs under him (middle of year 56, it looks like?) he did pretty well.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Thanks everyone. I know I've done a pretty terrible job with him so I do think I'll race him next year to try and make it right.lol Picked out a few 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 races for him as well. fingers crossed!
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Wonder who the one dissenting vote was? No, it wasn't me.