What to do with Deputy Dog

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

What to do with Deputy Dog

Post by Eric Gray »

I would put a poll here, but since I don't know how, I won't. After her great effort in the SC tonight, I am torn what to do with her next. Race her one more year at 5 or have her start to make babies. I don't believe in starting another year and then retiring during the season. If she runs, she will run all the way out. Just throwing this out here for opinions. Thanks in advance.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: What to do with Deputy Dog

Post by Danny Derby »

Don't take this the wrong way, but on paper her pedigree is awful. I'd be super hesitant about retiring a mare with a suspect pedigree like that when she's still in top form and competitive at the highest level.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

While I tend to agree that her pedigree is fairly weak, there's always a chance that she could just go on and found a new dam line that keeps on going.

My deciding factor would be, how long has she been at "peak" maturity? If she didn't peak until 3 or later, I would keep running her one more year. Personally, I tend to not race mine at 5 if they have already been at peak for 3 seasons.

Regardless, congratulations on a spectacular filly and racing career so far!
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ma Springs »

It must be fun to race such a good horse! :) If she were mine I would keep going one more year.
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

How much fun would you get out of racing her another season vs breeding her and getting a Deputy Dog foal on the track a year earlier?

I'm in a somewhat similar boat with a mare who has been unexpectedly nice on the track, but while there is some back class in her pedigree, her dam is unpredictable. She could be great in the shed, or she could just be a track star with no breeding value. My reasoning has been that I'm having a lot of fun racing her, there's no guarantee that she will be as fun to breed, and I also don't necessarily have a plethora of younger stars to take her place and keep up that high-stakes level excitement; therefore I'm running her another year.

Do you have younger horses to take up the mantle, or will racing feel less fun without her? Or is that potential superstar broodmare gamble alluring enough to take an earlier chance? Conversely, there's the risk also that she will be less good next year - how does that factor into your fun meter vs the chance that she'll continue to be great on the track?

tl;dr if I had her, I would run her. But someone else might retire instead. Do what sparks most fun for you!
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Thanks for the input. Looks like she's going to get 7-8 more fun runs before her first baby. I will aim for the Distaff again. She was third 2 years ago, second this year, if she could win it in year 59, what a way to go out.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I like racing them until their legs wear down to stubs...lol. I seriously think Roughian started out at 17 hands...but according to her chart, she's only 15 hands. :P

Your mare is still going strong, and I think it does come down to when they peaked and how long they have been at that point, as well as if they are still running strong. I've had some horses peak and fall off pretty fast...but others did well for even up to 3 seasons after peaking. And too...how much do you love running them compared to breeding them.

I can understand wanting to get those foals from the broodmares...especially mares who were a smashing success on the track, so it can be a hard choice sometimes.

Best of luck with her next year, I hope she has a successful last season of racing and gives you lots of nice babies to make up for that 1 extra year on the track. : ) I've had some broodmares that I retired at ages 4 to 5 years and they went on to have foals every year up to the age of 17. So there's that chance of that happening too.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

LOL Stormy, I knew you would say keep running her. She hit freak peak in the middle of year 57 and then dropped back to stakes peak in preseason 58. I was leaning toward one more year and after the strong performance in the Distaff plus most people's opinions, she's going one more year. I do have a 2 year old stakes I'm hoping will jump to freak during festivus and I have my first home bred freak yearling which will start his racing career this coming year. Plus I have several other stakes level 2 and 3 year olds to have fun racing,
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

“I like racing them until their legs wear down to stubs...lol. I seriously think Roughian started out at 17 hands...but according to her chart, she's only 15 hands. :P

I do look a their heights, and it sounds funny, but I thought she was tall too! Maybe we’re both delusional, lol