We need a new button

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

We need a new button

Post by Stormy Peak »

Enter the number...press the button. It then stops you from breeding any foals over the amount you set at the beginning of the year. :P

The past few years, I've been holding steady around 50ish foals.

This year...ugh...bred 73 of them.

Oh well, over the past few years, I've also brought my racing barn numbers down from over 300 at the end of the year to 128 runners at the moment. My yearling crop has 51 horses. Maybe by the time those 73 foals show up in my racing barn, I'll be able to weed my end of the year racing barn numbers to even a lower number than 128.

I am sooo done with a racing stable of 250 up to 350 runners. And for me, it's harder to reduce the numbers because I don't sell my horses, run them in claimers, nor do I get rid of them by sending them to AJ. They get retired or pensioned.

Next year I'm going to have more willpower...and stick to 50 or so foals.... I promise! :P

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Re: We need a new button

Post by Sara Julin »

I know the feeling xD
Last year I broke my record with 50 foals. This year I aimed for 75 foals.
But yikes, I ended up with 133 foals ^^'' I have no idea how that happened!
A limit button would have been nice xD
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

Why limit yourself? lol I have 1047 currently in racing barn and 1251 foals to gallop for festivus.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Brian Leavitt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brian Leavitt »

Craig Mcgee wrote: 2 years ago Why limit yourself? lol I have 1047 currently in racing barn and 1251 foals to gallop for festivus.
I have a stable full of cats
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

That's a funny looking cat Brian. lol
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Post by Paul Sellers »

Craig Mcgee wrote: 2 years ago Why limit yourself? lol I have ... 1251 foals to gallop for festivus.
"Showing 1 to 500 of 1482 horses with Age: Foal."

I get to open so many presents!
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

How do you guys do it? Manage that many horses in a racing barn and making sure each one gets to race on a regular schedule?
Seems like so many of them will fall through the cracks?

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Post by Paul Sellers »

Stormy Peak wrote: 2 years ago How do you guys do it?

"making sure each one gets to race on a regular schedule"

"seems like so many of them will fall through the cracks"
For me it wouldn't be possible without Custom Barns. But once you set that up, you can focus your attention on the horses that are going to drive your barn. You spend most of your time giving TLC to your Freaks & Stakes. While making sure your Allowance horses stay fit and race regularly.

I don't race all of my horses below the allowance gallop. For example, what's a productive gallop gonna do in the dirt route division?

Whereas I've seen SOLID all weather horses routinely get checks in stakes races and I've even seen CLAIMERS win consistently in Alaska.

The flip side though, is that there's a good chunk of "Productive" fillies that become Star or even Brilliant broodmares in the routing divisions.

Personally I like finding the right horse for the right spot and I like the idea of being able to breed the crosses that fascinate me without worrying about finding the perfect cross. With 1,500 foals each year, I just get to pick the lines I like and go for it.

Last year I bred a Freak Turf Router with a C+ hypo. If I was only breeding 50 mares, first, I would never have bred a mare that hypo'd that badly, and second, I would've only bred her to the top level "move up" stallions. But I found a couple lines I liked, looked at the potential new pedigree and slammed the breed button. I have a dozen other examples that are very similar. I guess for me, it's just how I like to play the game.
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

For me Jeaux is a prime example of a horse that never would of happened without mass breeding. His mother was a star, daddy a SC winner, but only a B+ hypo. I am always being told that mixers must always be an A or better. nick.https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1284061 This freak filly is also by an unproven stud her daddy's only freak. Personally I love the breeding aspect of the game. As for racing I start by entering freaks then stakes and so on till I can't find any more spots for my runners. Once results are final for that day I start entering starting with freaks and last date raced. Like Paul this is the way I like to play the game.

P.S. Having ADHD and an addictive personality helps lol. Plus I am disabled due to a lot of metal in my neck from a fall at work on 12/26/16 with emergency surgery within 24 hours from the fall. I have since had a second surgery on my neck to make sure it stays solid. So the sim has become my hobby job lol.