AJ free for new players?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

AJ free for new players?

Post by Danny Derby »

If this already exists then ignore this, but I see an auction with a few hundred horses from a new player who just signed up basically a few days ago. I’m guessing they need to dump horses because daily expenses are killing them. Can AJ just accept horses for free from New Players their first 6-10 weeks or something? It’s easy to fall into the $1 horse trap when you don’t know what’s going on then boom, under your eyeballs in bad horses. Would be a nice gesture for newbies to get a get out of jail free card on that easy mistake.
Savina Lazaki
Sprinter

Re: AJ free for new players?

Post by Savina Lazaki »

That sounds like a good idea. And I'm not just saying that because I could personally benefit from it...
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

They can also send them to me for the cost of shipping to one of my farms 🤷‍♀️

I feel like some players would take advantage of this and send all their garbage horses to new players for them to get rid of for free.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I don't think new players pay daily fees. I agree with Rochelle that it could be used by others to get rid of their rubbish horses.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I think a new player is more likely to be aware of a “Send to greener pastures button”, than be aware of the fact that some players offer to take on those horses if they’re shipped to their farm.

I think there’s a way to monitor if a veteran player is taking advantage of a newbie like that and penalties for such an offence should be severe and it should be made very clear. That should discourage people.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 2 years ago They can also send them to me for the cost of shipping to one of my farms 🤷‍♀️
It could be very expensive for a new player to send over 100+ horses to your farm. Also, it's far more intuitive for them to be able to do it as a function of the game rather than having to figure out who you are and what you are doing.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

What if the fee was reduced from $5,000 to $500 for new players for the first eight-ten weeks? That might make it enough of a hassle that it is less likely to be abused by existing players - ie., the newer player is going to want some compensation for acting as the go-between, but still makes it easier to get out of a bad purchase decision. Plus, the $500 might make a player think about whether they really want to get rid of the horse, instead of just getting caught up in pressing buttons? A lower fee also seems more consistent with some of the other lower costs that new players have while getting their feet wet.

I like the intent; just trying to figure out a way that it doesn't have an unintended consequence of getting abused or creating more work for the Admin team to police.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 2 years ago What if the fee was reduced from $5,000 to $500 for new players for the first eight-ten weeks? That might make it enough of a hassle that it is less likely to be abused by existing players - ie., the newer player is going to want some compensation for acting as the go-between, but still makes it easier to get out of a bad purchase decision. Plus, the $500 might make a player think about whether they really want to get rid of the horse, instead of just getting caught up in pressing buttons? A lower fee also seems more consistent with some of the other lower costs that new players have while getting their feet wet.

I like the intent; just trying to figure out a way that it doesn't have an unintended consequence of getting abused or creating more work for the Admin team to police.
$500 vs. $5,000 would certainly be a big improvement. I don't really think it would be abused if it were free, but people always surprise me so I understand the hesitation on going all out.
David Howard
Miler

Post by David Howard »

I learnt a lot from my bad horses and getting rid of them should really be a last resort.

I've had three "different career" galloping thoroughbreds and they all won at Trial Park:
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1337170
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1237171
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1235941

Getting them to eventually win was so satisfying, don't give up on those nags!!

P.S. bad mixers are a different matter :cry:
Turf Mile stud:
Devonshire Lad
- $30,000

Turf Route studs:
Daddy Green
- $10,000
Mauriously - $10,000
Dunk and Egg - $10,000
Lance Macisaac
Miler

Post by Lance Macisaac »

I like the idea. I think it also helps reduce SIM burnout (which is a thing for me, I'm assuming others feel it as well), as having 100 horses to enter as a newbie, many of which are going to lose and demoralize you, may make the game feel more like a slog. No, you don't have to enter them all, but I think a lot of players will feel obligated to - and it's just overwhelming to look at a wall of horses, especially without the last raced/last worked/entered for columns that SIMperior gives you. Newbies should be given the freedom to experiment and make mistakes, imo, and they shouldn't have to keep lousy horses that they bought for a dollar or pay $5,000 to get rid of them.