What do you do?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What do you do with your freak or stake late bloomers?

1) Keep them in the barn and wait them out.
3%
2) Race lightly with long rests between races.
10%
3) Normal, send them!
88%

Total votes: 40

Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

What do you do?

Post by Nick Gilmore »

With your freak late bloomers? Wait on them peaking or what? Two Socks is a freak, late bloomer. I don’t see any sense in shelving him now, but I have others that I’m questioning where to go next. Opinions and comments are welcome.

BTY, thanks much for voting for him for Asian 2 year old.
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Re: What do you do?

Post by Sara Julin »

For me personally, I don't wait. Points are important (something I have learned).
So I don't wait with late bloomers, because I feel like if I wait, then the horse will never have a chance to "catch up" to the peak horses ^^''
I treat them all fairly similar ^^''
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I only pause late blooming horses when it's beginning to be hard finding non-claimers for them to win. I don't think that ever happened with my stakes or freaks.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I try to treat them as I normally would, but in my experience all of my Late Bloomers run like poo poo until they peak. I'm pretty frustrated with Love Me Like You Do at the moment (https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1295877) because she is still rated Late Bloomer and I suspect won't actually win a stakes race until she hits peak. I thought I might have an Oaks contender in her this year :roll:
So I might edit my tactics this season and be more conservative with my bloomers in order to avoid frustration and muddying up their records.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I give them a few starts and see how they do. If they run decently (OTB/Win aka not butchering their confidence) they can keep going, otherwise they go into my Late Bloomer barn where they get a gallop every week with the Allowance and under LBs.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Post by Jack Christensen »

The only reason I would say race them a little lightly is because I would not want to risk getting them into bad form. I wouldn't say don't race them, but stakes late bloomers won't always perform at the same quality of a stakes peak anyway, so running them every 2 weeks until they are struggling to break a certain condition which causes their confidence to go down, just doesn't seem like the best course of action in every case.
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 2 years ago With your freak late bloomers? Wait on them peaking or what? Two Socks is a freak, late bloomer. I don’t see any sense in shelving him now, but I have others that I’m questioning where to go next. Opinions and comments are welcome.

off topic, but was Two Socks named after the wolf in Dances With Wolves?
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $15,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Finch Hatton - TR - $30,000
PROVEN FREAK PRODUCING A+ HYPOING STUD
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

It wasn't so long ago that we couldn't see a horse's improvement level at all. If you had a horse labeled "stakes" or "freak", and didn't know whether it was at its best level or would get better later, would you wait and see? Or would you run? IMO the idea that a horse can get better later doesn't mean it's no good now; I see people getting gun-shy about running a bloomer sometimes, but current level is AFAIK independent of future level; a stakes bloomer isn't automatically worse than a stakes peak, that just indicates whether they'll do better later or if their best days are now. A freak is a freak, sad freaks exist but how many freaks are just straight-up not worth running, really? How many potential wins/earnings would a horse potentially miss out on by waiting? It only takes one barrier trial to restore confidence if a bad run does occur, but whether a horse will have a bad run isn't tied to its improvement comment, only trainer expectations (and subsequently race placement) + luck.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

There for racing so run them. If I had waited on Jeaux to peak he would have never had the career he did, as he did not peak till he became age 4.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I give them a race or two, if they aren't running well I shelf them for a bit.

Took it fairly easy with takeshi Kovacs - https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1154679 he didn't peak till 4.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I run them and would only back off if they were not performing well. I had a mixer stakes late bloomer when a Steward's Cup at 2 and not peak/move to freak. until the beginning of his 4-year-old year.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I race them.

I don't see the sense in letting them just sit and not make any money at all.

I've had stakes and freaks that were late bloomers as yearlings and 2 year olds -- then --turn into Peaked stakes and freaks at the start of their 3 year old season. : (

Those same horses often earned anywhere from $50,000 on up to a several hundred thousand before peaking as a 3 yr old. If I hadn't raced them, they would have only earned money for 1 season racing as 3 year olds. Sometimes... I would go ahead and see if I could get them through a 4 year old season too...sometimes they did ok, but often they started losing their form in the 2nd half the their 4 year old season.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Ren Marston wrote: 2 years ago
Nick Gilmore wrote: 2 years ago With your freak late bloomers? Wait on them peaking or what? Two Socks is a freak, late bloomer. I don’t see any sense in shelving him now, but I have others that I’m questioning where to go next. Opinions and comments are welcome.

Yes he was…and Cisco is named after that smart buckskin pony! I tend to name horses while watching movies and Dance With Wolves is an all time fav of mine.
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 2 years ago
Ren Marston wrote: 2 years ago

Yes he was…and Cisco is named after that smart buckskin pony! I tend to name horses while watching movies and Dance With Wolves is an all time fav of mine.
I love that! That movie is seriously one of the best, I just watched it!
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $15,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Finch Hatton - TR - $30,000
PROVEN FREAK PRODUCING A+ HYPOING STUD
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I can't pick one set option, because what I choose to do depends on the horse. If it's allowance or lower and still room to mature, I'm liable to just sit them until they mature. I try the stakes and freaks out in a race or two and see if they want to run or not (both Wayward Son and War Like Me were late blooming stakes until turning 4, and both earned over $500k and got G1 wins prior to peaking). This goes for both TBs and mixers. I am much more liable to be less ambitious about race placing with late bloomers, though. Unless they're running lights out, I don't have my eye set on TC or SC races with them.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!