What do you do when a stallion is closed?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What do you do when a stallion isn't available?

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Keep checking back hoping a slot opens
15%
Message the owner hoping for a slot
13%
Send your mare to another stallion that's available
72%

Total votes: 46

Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

What do you do when a stallion is closed?

Post by Danny Derby »

If you're ready to breed a mare and the stallion you want to use is closed for breedings by the owner, what do you do?
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: What do you do when a stallion is closed?

Post by Darcy McBride »

I would either message the owner to see if a slot can be released to you for this year. If the owner can not or does not want to release a slot at that time I would just use another stallion for this year. You can then try again for the first stallion you wanted the following year.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I can’t really pick one, since it depends on:
• the mare.
• who the stallion owner is. For example, I know there are a few people who open slots throughout the year so I won’t bother them with a message and might wait it out
• availability/quality of the stallion’s relatives of I have my heart set on a sireline.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Agree with Rochelle. I'll also add two things:

At this point, I also have a good idea of who opens slots throughout the year, and who opens slots towards the end of the year. I tend not to contact those people, but have the stallions on alert, so I can just check there occasionally to see if spots have opened up (and I get to check all at the same time). I'll only contact them if the stallion is of pensioning age.

The other factor is how strongly I like the cross/stallion.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I usually check to see if the stallion was leased previously and maybe they haven't reset the stud fee. I usually will message the owner and ask if they are planning to "activate" the stallion soon. Usually they are really good about responding. There are times that I just find another stallion to use, but mostly, I just ask.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 2 years ago I can’t really pick one, since it depends on:
• the mare.
• who the stallion owner is. For example, I know there are a few people who open slots throughout the year so I won’t bother them with a message and might wait it out
• availability/quality of the stallion’s relatives of I have my heart set on a sireline.
Exactly what Rochelle said.
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

I honestly don’t understand why any owner would restrict the amount of mares their stud gets . The cost to buy extra slots is far less then the profit of the stud fee .
JX has done something completely different with DMB that is kinda cool so I get that but a stud like Storm I just don’t understand the closed slots on and I honestly will never use him again till he is a normal stud again.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

I'm torn here because I have done all three choices. I chose the third option because I am like Skippy and don't understand the whole 'limited slots" thing either. The stallions in question have high stud fees so the exchange will cost maybe 1 or 2 equivalent breeding s to open the 30 slots each time, so the money thing isn't an issue it would seem. But I've reached out to the owners (except 1) of the stallions I wish to use and they opened slots for me countless times, so the owners are usually more than happy to allow you to use their special boys if you ask. And I've gotten so frustrated at the issue that I've just used other stallions because I didn't see the point in waiting. So yeah, used all three, no help from me here. I will say, I opened slots of one of mine last year because it looked like he was going to run over and I wanted people to be as to use him. Only one extra slot was used and I lost that money, but it was my bad. You live and learn, and his slots are gone when they are gone, but I won't make him private, it's first come first serve of course

Jack
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I personally dislike having to ask permission to use a stallion. The help section states that we do not have to seek permission to breed to a certain stud, yet that is no longer the case. I have once asked to use a stud and specified which mare I wanted to use but I was asked to explain why the choice of mare was a good one for this stallion. That doesn’t sit right with me, even though I did receive the slot after presenting an explanation. Just feels like too much effort for me when I could easily go to a different stud that is only slightly “worse”.

I also personally wouldn’t worry about breed diversity. I know the way I breed tries to promote diversity in my bloodlines, it’s not my responsibility as a stud owner to ensure others do the same by locking that stud up. If they want to have 20 foals from my imaginary super stud at 100k a pop with no real thought behind the breeding, go ahead. It’s not a personal disadvantage to me. When a stallion is head and shoulders above the rest, his true ability will always shine through in my opinion. Plus, when you have a stud priced high, people are far more likely to be considerate with which and how many mares they send to him.

With all that being said, I tend to look for a different option and occasionally “wait” on a stallion, though really it’s just seizing an opportunity by accident when a stud opens up.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago The help section states that we do not have to seek permission to breed to a certain stud, yet that is no longer the case.
Really good point I never even realized. This probably should be updated.

Do I have to ask permission to use a stallion?
You do not need to ask permission to breed to any of the stallions. The money from the stud fee will be automatically deducted from your account and given to the stallion owner.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

If I’m dying to use a stud for a mare I consider very special, I will ask. However, by and large I just send to a different available stallion. There are still excellent open stallions on the market, and though some stallions hypo head and shoulders above the rest, hypo mates are not the end-all, be-all of breeding.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

I have done all 3 but normally unless it's the end of the season I either wait on openings or contact the Owner and except for one pretty negative answer, I have had good luck either with getting slots or getting a good idea when some will be available. I'm not a big social person so in the beginning I was uncomfortable asking about openings but since I have been treated well overall I'm ok now. The part I don't understand is why the fees aren't just raised to a point where you better be thinking long and hard do I really want to spend that much $$. The stud fee is ALWAYS part of my decision making when booking mares.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I think it depends on the situation. I RARELY message an owner though cus well, my mental health doesn't like rejection LOL

I usually just find an alternate stallion though.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

I never ask for a breeding to a closed stallion. I just wait around until it is open. And it is not open, or I miss when it's open, I'll go to next stallion.
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

As in the case of War Like Me, instead of bugging Erin, I take a five yard penalty for delay of game ... and punt :geek:
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.