Dispersal Auctions

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Dispersal Auctions

Post by Danny Derby »

So there's kind of a big issue (IMO) on these. These are set to not show gallop comments on horses, yet someone who owns a sire for horses in the auction can always see the gallop comments. Leads to bidding on these auctions on an extremely unlevel playing field. Never had even considered this before, but noticed a high bid in the Anna Nowak auction on a horse by the owner of the stallion and it hit me.

Simple solution: Would like to see gallop/broodmare comments public on future dispersals. It would also ensure that horses are getting their maximum value for the dispersed owner in the event they ever come back.

PS - I realize this is also an auction for non-dispersal auctions with that info hidden, but at least in those cases the player is actively making that decision, and you can reach out and ask them if you wanted.
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: Dispersal Auctions

Post by Katie Stepanian »

No, comments should not be available on dispersals. This has always been a thing and it’s hardly a massive advantage. The big price only encourages others to bid.
Jack Ryder
Turf Router

Post by Jack Ryder »

I have to disagree. Hidden gallops sometimes benefits players with smaller bank accounts. Maybe a way to circumvent sire owner seeing a progeny gallop when it's in dispersal.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

If there's a way to circumvent a gallop comment being available to a sire owner if that horse is at auction, I'm all for that. That's my real issue here, maybe auto-adding the comments in for all these auctions isn't the right solution.
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

I have had a feeling stallion owners are looking at the gallop comments in sales, because they are right there, hence they know who to bid on. A little unfair that some gets to see the comments and some don't.
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Here's the thing - if you see the owner of a stallion bidding on that horse's progeny (or bidding on other horses, but not the progeny of the stallion they own) - that's usually a tip as to the quality of the horse.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it is that big an advantage, and I'm not sure how you program where you see all gallop comments unless/until the auction is going on. Someone could have looked at the horses prior to sale, like when the yearlings galloped, and written it down (and now the horse is dispersing as a 2yo), or someone could have bloodstocked horses for a stable nearing dispersal prior to auction, so I don't know how you "unsee" those actions.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 2 years ago Here's the thing - if you see the owner of a stallion bidding on that horse's progeny (or bidding on other horses, but not the progeny of the stallion they own) - that's usually a tip as to the quality of the horse.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it is that big an advantage, and I'm not sure how you program where you see all gallop comments unless/until the auction is going on. Someone could have looked at the horses prior to sale, like when the yearlings galloped, and written it down (and now the horse is dispersing as a 2yo), or someone could have bloodstocked horses for a stable nearing dispersal prior to auction, so I don't know how you "unsee" those actions.
All the actions you're describing require a good bit of forethought and effort by someone interested in bidding in an upcoming auction. If they're willing to put in the time to do that then great, the deserve the advantage. A stallion owner having a free glimpse at gallop comments that no one else can see while an auction is ongoing isn't the same situation at all.

I also don't know how you'd program a fix for this, but that's why you and I aren't programmers. Luckily The Admin is. I'd look for the management team to decide if this is worthwhile or not, and determine if a fix is possible and worth the level of effort that would be required. It could be a 40 hour coding job, or a twenty minute quick fix, I honestly don't know and neither do you.
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

I bought this pacer stallion Always B Roller at a dispersal auction.

The sole purpose was to find out what offspring that were stakes gallopers. I bought the available stakes gallopers that hadn't been bought at the dispersal auction from AJ.

The only "problem" I can see is if there are multiple dispersal auctions and the stallions are sold at the first dispersal.
My suggestion is that on multiple dispersal auctions (more than 500 horses) always put the stallions at the last auction.
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Polk, I think Danny meant any stud owners of any stud. For example, Fanta Arcadia, owner of Superbia who sired the sale topper of the most recent dispersal auction. Or the owners of the stallions of the next 4 highest bids Tammy Stawicki (Hempstead), RRH (Rilian), Eric Nalbone (Dynamite) and Glenn Escobar (The People's Horse). Of course I'm not singling out or shaming any of these people, if I see offspring of my stud in an auction I definitely look up the gallop.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

In the case of the yearlings, they weren't galloped prior to the auction, so Tammy and Glenn wouldn't have had that information.

Similarly, stallion owners don't see broodmare comments, so while Eric and Tammy might have been able to see the broodmares' pre-retirement gallop comment, they wouldn't know their broodmare comments.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I don't see the problem. We can see who the stud owner is and we can see them bidding. If they bid high we can make a fair guess that the horse is decent.
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

I think the obvious answer is stallion owners should not be able to see the gallop comments of foals,. Not even just during auctions, but ever. I've never understood why that's there in the first place. I know that's going to get people's panties in a bunch but what purpose does it even serve other than giving stallion owners an advantage in dispersal auctions?
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Brandon Schultz wrote: 2 years ago I think the obvious answer is stallion owners should not be able to see the gallop comments of foals,. Not even just during auctions, but ever. I've never understood why that's there in the first place. I know that's going to get people's panties in a bunch but what purpose does it even serve other than giving stallion owners an advantage in dispersal auctions?
Sure this is the obvious answer. But you take my backdoor mare stud book away and now this? :evil:
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Brandon Schultz wrote: 2 years ago I think the obvious answer is stallion owners should not be able to see the gallop comments of foals,. Not even just during auctions, but ever. I've never understood why that's there in the first place. I know that's going to get people's panties in a bunch but what purpose does it even serve other than giving stallion owners an advantage in dispersal auctions?
I don’t wear panties
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago
I don’t wear panties
manties?