Ummm... What Versatility?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Ummm... What Versatility?

Post by Lily Wilkins »

So this brat is bred to be a router, yet came back as being "Versatile"
I was under the impression that versatility meant that they could run in other divisions? And since Arabians only have two divisions (route and sprint) I assumed that meant my colt could run in routes and sprints.

Judging by his race tonight, I think it's safe to say he hates sprinting. He is a Freak with insanely fast workout times, who ran a 94 on debut in a route, and just managed 4th out of 4 with a 70 (😨) speed figure in a sprint... Granted, it was a Graded Stakes, but I feel like this colt should have handled the situation better if he had any interest in sprinting at all.

So, what exactly does versatile mean? Does it just mean that my colt will be great over a variety of route distances? Or do I keep frustrating the heck out of myself and enter him in more sprints?

I hate when I think that something is straightforward, only to find out that I have no idea what i'm doing πŸ˜…
“ 𝐴𝑧𝑒𝑙 πΈπ‘žπ‘’π‘–π‘›π‘’ β€›
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Ummm... What Versatility?

Post by The Steward »

Oops, this is actually a bug - it told you he's really good at a mile. That's not useful, will need to fix!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Ahh okay, thank you! :D
“ 𝐴𝑧𝑒𝑙 πΈπ‘žπ‘’π‘–π‘›π‘’ β€›
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I've checked a number of my better turf routers...all I can say is....
...either versatility is just a big joke y'all are playing on me, or I'm breeding solid, consistent turf routers with no wishy washy intents of trying other distances. :P

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Has anyone gotten a sense for the level of ability needed for being considered versatile? Is the quality (number) of the second distance and/or surface as high as it's "main" distance/surface, or would any horse above the level of say productive or allowance on more than one surface/distance be considered versatile?

In the first case it may mean (depending on horse) that your horse could run stakes over at least two different distances/surfaces while the other case may mean your horse is able to win mid-claimers/NW in one division, while it runs stakes in the other.
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I actually did the same thing with my SC winning router Arab last night.lol Red River Parish. Can't blame the game I just figured since her sire could do sprint and route I'd have a little fun. Clearly it wasn't fun for her.lol Checked her after the race and it did say she was versatile. Guess I won't be trying her in a longer sprint as I had planned!
β€œIt’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder