Crappiest Best Mare?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Crappiest Best Mare?

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I am bored, and since we have the other thread, how about we talk about those mares that were terrible racehorses, got less than a blue hen broodmare comment (stars with terrible race records definitely accepted), probably hypomated something awful...and still turned out to be amazing in the shed. These kinds of surprise mares are all sorts of fun. I'll start.

High Dreams. I claimed her (just because she was a granddaughter of Sway) for only $25k. She was a productive galloper, retired as a formidable broodmare (and stayed formidable when blue hens and stars were introduced, as I think they were during her breeding career), and never hypomated above a flat B with ANYTHING. I tried. Ants Marching, Easy On the Eyes, Maelstrom, You Are I Am, Rambling, she was just kind of "meh" to all of them. She got $8.8 million in progeny earnings, her son Through the Ghost got over $20 million, and her daughter Lady So Divine got over $4.6 million, including one of the current hottest DR sires.

Startling Gaze. Bred her out of a mare I bought from AJ for $1k, by a $10k stallion. I don't remember what she galloped, but it couldn't have been too great (not in her history). Probably productive. Couldn't win in 5 starts. She only produced one good one, but that filly is one of the best I've ever owned and her female family is still around producing freaks and champions, so Startling Gaze herself couldn't have been all bad.

I've had a good few others that were honest surprises, but none so much as those two. Show me your out-of-nowhere star producers.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: Crappiest Best Mare?

Post by Danny Derby »

I’m really confused how this is different from the other thread
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Danny Derby wrote: 2 years ago I’m really confused how this is different from the other thread
Because these mares actually produced where in the other thread they did not
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Yea. Vise versa
;p
Brian Leavitt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brian Leavitt »

So, Nyan Cat was who I posted in the other thread.

As it turns out, I think Nyan Cat's dam, Arctic Bird, is my best fit for this thread. A $700k Stewbred who was sired by my homebred SC Turf(!) winner Pingu, who didn't end up being that good of a stallion but I just wanted a stewie sired by one of my own so very badly. Arctic Bird won one race and earned 28k on the track and, judging by her B+ and B hypos, she was likely a formidable broodmare though I don't have an actual comment on her that's visible. But she ended up producing two stakes winners, one of whom was the aforementioned Nyan Cat, who I honestly think is the main reason I didn't quit after year 41.
I have a stable full of cats
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I have a couple:

By far my best mare ever:
Moon of Atlantis (Formidable, B+ to Reddington but B to everything else)
-3 Freaks, 4 Stakes, 2 Allowance, 1 Productive and 1 Claimer
-Dam of 2 SC winners, 6 millionaires, 3 multi-millionaires
-2 Very successful stallions produced and multiple group 1 producing mares

Still going but already doing really nice:
See You When (Formidable, gets alright hypos tbf)
-2 Stakes, both millionaires and one multi-millionaire
-Dam of a very promising stallion

Hard to say with this one but first foal is a freak so...
Isla Fisher ($500 claim, Formidable)
-Freak producer

Guess I have good luck with formidables!
Lance Macisaac
Miler

Post by Lance Macisaac »

Miss Note (https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1028447) was pretty meh on the track and was rated unpredictable, but she has produced a stakes galloper who won a stakes race on his debut and an allowance galloper that's currently a yearling in her first two babies.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago
Nice mare! What gallop is her yearling?
;p
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 2 years ago
Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago
Nice mare! What gallop is her yearling?
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

So a couple of Sim years ago, I decided to check the bloodstock agents comments before pensioning my unraced mares that had galloped productive and below. If they rated "formidable" or better, I bred them. Yellowtail, out of my stakes winning but less than stellar producer Sauvignon Blanc (out of 7 foals, her best 2 galloped allowance) - fit the criteria (galloped "solid", was "formidable") The resulting yearling- Double Dog Dare Ya - galloped "freak.
I'm just here for the fun of it