Two Small Things

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: Two Small Things

Post by Danny Derby »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 1 year ago
Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago Money drain idea for the game. What about capping the number of horses at a farm, or charging a fee if a farm has over a certain number of horses? If there's more than say 1000 horses (hypotheitcal number here) at a farm, it would make sense that the owner should need to buy another farm.
Not necessarily opposed to the concept, but right now, there are 273 farms, and according to Sim Sanctum, over 450,000 horses in the SIM (of which 10,000 plus belong to AJ - would they count towards capacity?). Cap at 1,000 per farm, that's a lot of horses that would need to be booted off farms. Also, if this were to be implemented, there'd probably have to be a way that the farm owner could limit the number of boarders, as opposed to their own horses shipping back after a race/for retirement and being blocked due to a cap or being charged, but on the flip side, that could lead to a disadvantage to those players whose economics don't work for buying a farm.
Good points, and I agree it would require a way for a farm owner to limit boarders - they should definitely have priority on their own farms. I also don't think AJ horses should count towards any potential limit, perhaps AJ owned horses could automatically be moved to an AJ only farm with infinite capacity but available only to horses owned by here.

Obviously other things would need to be worked out, but I think there's something to the concept.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago
Laura Ferguson wrote: 1 year ago
Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago Money drain idea for the game. What about capping the number of horses at a farm, or charging a fee if a farm has over a certain number of horses? If there's more than say 1000 horses (hypotheitcal number here) at a farm, it would make sense that the owner should need to buy another farm.
Not necessarily opposed to the concept, but right now, there are 273 farms, and according to Sim Sanctum, over 450,000 horses in the SIM (of which 10,000 plus belong to AJ - would they count towards capacity?). Cap at 1,000 per farm, that's a lot of horses that would need to be booted off farms. Also, if this were to be implemented, there'd probably have to be a way that the farm owner could limit the number of boarders, as opposed to their own horses shipping back after a race/for retirement and being blocked due to a cap or being charged, but on the flip side, that could lead to a disadvantage to those players whose economics don't work for buying a farm.
Good points, and I agree it would require a way for a farm owner to limit boarders - they should definitely have priority on their own farms. I also don't think AJ horses should count towards any potential limit, perhaps AJ owned horses could automatically be moved to an AJ only farm with infinite capacity but available only to horses owned by here.

Obviously other things would need to be worked out, but I think there's something to the concept.
Farm fees based on horse number rather than a flat cost for all I could see working. A straight cap I see as nothing short of a royal pain forcing anyone that doesn't have farms all over the world to have to shop around every time they run a horse to find local farms with open space.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

Last edited by Ren Marston 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $25,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Moonlight Sonata - TR - $15,000
STEWARD APPROVED ULTRA DISCOUNT STAKES PRODUCER
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

+1 to Ren’s idea
Last edited by Gavin Guile 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

🧐 plus 5 to Ren idea
Last edited by Anthony Zappulla 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago +1 to Ren’s idea
+2
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Gabrielle Mackenzie
Two Year Old

Post by Gabrielle Mackenzie »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 1 year ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago +1 to Ren’s idea
+2
+3
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Yes please to making it easier to train yearlings (ie: setting preferences for workouts).
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Here is my next sure to be super popular opinion.

Right now every barn can get 2 random injuries each year. So a barn with 3,000 active runners/breeders is going to get just as many random injuries as a barn with 100 active runners/breeders. So a horse in Barn A has a 0.0667% chance of getting hit by a random injury, while a horse in Barn B has a 2% chance.

It seems to me that it would make sense if random injures were based on a 1-per-X amount of eligible horses formula rather than treating every barn exactly equal regardless of size. Just speculating on potential numbers here, but say every barn keeps the 2 random injuries per year at minimum for up to 500 horses, then for each additional 250 horses another random injury becomes possible.

Not only is this a more realistic scenario, but I think it would also result in more horses being insured and thus more money being pulled from the game.

As always, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago Here is my next sure to be super popular opinion.

Right now every barn can get 2 random injuries each year. So a barn with 3,000 active runners/breeders is going to get just as many random injuries as a barn with 100 active runners/breeders. So a horse in Barn A has a 0.0667% chance of getting hit by a random injury, while a horse in Barn B has a 2% chance.

It seems to me that it would make sense if random injures were based on a 1-per-X amount of eligible horses formula rather than treating every barn exactly equal regardless of size. Just speculating on potential numbers here, but say every barn keeps the 2 random injuries per year at minimum for up to 500 horses, then for each additional 250 horses another random injury becomes possible.

Not only is this a more realistic scenario, but I think it would also result in more horses being insured and thus more money being pulled from the game.

As always, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Why would you think more would be insured? It would just mean more injuries for bigger barns. Could the 500 threshold have anything to do with you having less than 500 in your barn?
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Dave Trainer wrote: 1 year ago Why would you think more would be insured? It would just mean more injuries for bigger barns. Could the 500 threshold have anything to do with you having less than 500 in your barn?
1) A giant barn is more likely to have lots of mediocre types padding things out that would greatly reduce the likelihood of a horse you care about being hit by a random injury. If I had 5000 horses and 50 stakes runners it's far less likely that one of those stakes runners would be hit by an injury than if I had 500 horses and 50 stakes runners. Someone with more horses overall has less reason to need to insure runners than someone with less horses would.

2) 500 was just a random number for an example purpose. I've currently got over 750 but under 1000. Really don't care what that number would end up being.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago
Dave Trainer wrote: 1 year ago Why would you think more would be insured? It would just mean more injuries for bigger barns. Could the 500 threshold have anything to do with you having less than 500 in your barn?
1) A giant barn is more likely to have lots of mediocre types padding things out that would greatly reduce the likelihood of a horse you care about being hit by a random injury. If I had 5000 horses and 50 stakes runners it's far less likely that one of those stakes runners would be hit by an injury than if I had 500 horses and 50 stakes runners. Someone with more horses overall has less reason to need to insure runners than someone with less horses would.

2) 500 was just a random number for an example purpose. I've currently got over 750 but under 1000. Really don't care what that number would end up being.
This isn't really a two small things idea is it? It would be a very big thing.

The mediocre types would get pensioned and Em has frequently stated she'd like all horses to be raced. I wouldn't be insuring any different to how I do now. Less money would come out of the game as I'd pay a lot less in daily fees and shipping.

When I do a search on your unretired horses I don't see over 750.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'm just going to post once on this, because I don't want to derail the actual purpose of the two small things, but the percentages on the random injury are incorrect. Per the insurance thread, linked below, less than 200 horses get hit with random injury during a given SIM year. New players' barns are exempt. So, the rest of the active horses are in the pool. For example, if there are 200 injuries spread out over 20,000 active horses that are uninsured, every one of those horses would have a 1% chance of getting hit, regardless of barn size. The odds will change slightly as horses are insured, born or pensioned throughout the year, and as the year progresses, if a barn gets its 2 horse injury maximum for the year.

The 2 horses is the _maximum_ number of injuries your barn can get in a year; there is no guarantee that your barn will have that many. There are many years where I have one or both injuries by this point in the SIM year; this year I am still at zero (finds wood to knock on), although I have had several "your horse was nearly injured, but you purchased insurance" emails. There have been other years where I've ended up with only one random injury. If I remember correctly, it is possible to get an email saying you've already hit your max for the year, but I've never gotten that (and I may be wrong on that one). I have continued to get the nearly injured but insured email, even after hitting the 2 max for the year, though.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19212
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 1 year ago I'm just going to post once on this, because I don't want to derail the actual purpose of the two small things, but the percentages on the random injury are incorrect. Per the insurance thread, linked below, less than 200 horses get hit with random injury during a given SIM year. New players' barns are exempt. So, the rest of the active horses are in the pool. For example, if there are 200 injuries spread out over 20,000 active horses that are uninsured, every one of those horses would have a 1% chance of getting hit, regardless of barn size. The odds will change slightly as horses are insured, born or pensioned throughout the year, and as the year progresses, if a barn gets its 2 horse injury maximum for the year.

The 2 horses is the _maximum_ number of injuries your barn can get in a year; there is no guarantee that your barn will have that many. There are many years where I have one or both injuries by this point in the SIM year; this year I am still at zero (finds wood to knock on), although I have had several "your horse was nearly injured, but you purchased insurance" emails. There have been other years where I've ended up with only one random injury. If I remember correctly, it is possible to get an email saying you've already hit your max for the year, but I've never gotten that (and I may be wrong on that one). I have continued to get the nearly injured but insured email, even after hitting the 2 max for the year, though.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19212
Fair point, didn’t realize there was a 200 total cap across the entire SIM racing population. That definitely renders this moot.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I get 2 injuries every season so I make up my 2% every season, now you only have to worry about 98%
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA