Two Small Things

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Re: Two Small Things

Post by Durzo Blint »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 2 years ago
Shannon Hunt wrote: 2 years ago
Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago Remove gallop comments from the game completely.
Actually yes. No more fake freaks, misleading sales comments, perennial clamoring for adjustments when certain divisions just break the system. Real life horses aren't born with labels, just gotta look at the pedigree and look at the stopwatch and use one's lil noggin to figure out what to do with them. And I can go back to finding hidden gems in AJ and dispersals instead of everything being face value yawn.
I could go for this but wow the fuss that would cause!
I just ignore them, so in my small little world, the gallop comments do not exist. I have too many horses to race, so allowances will hit the track and top pedigree horses with lower comments. But in essence, I ignore gallop comments and focus on workout times and performance on the track and pedigree. This isn't to say that I do not get excited seeing "freaky" on festivus, but I temper my expectations once I see workout times, etc. Hopefully that helps.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Gallops only exist for gratification. I wouldn’t mind trashing them.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Even a few seasons ago I would have disagreed with that idea, but now, I’m definitely all for it. That, plus get rid of hypos. Both pretty misleading metrics that were not always part of the game (and both are metrics that in my opinion skew our opinion of a stud’s ability, how many great racehorses don’t get a deserved chance at stud because their hypos aren’t top tier? And I’m certainly a perpetrator of this too).
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Jack Ryder wrote: 2 years ago

Ok, I will try again. To know the horse's current status a player can gallop or pay GP. So there would be an option to not pay the GP to sell the horse, they would just need to gallop it. The only reason I am suggesting GP at all is to prevent the workaround of posting a horse for sale and immediately taking it down so as to avoid either galloping or the GP fee. Since that is the objective, charging GP to remove the horse from the sales page if it didn't have a current gallop when posted would do the same. Either way, no one is being forced to spend game points to sell a horse. It would be their choice.
Maybe the buyer can click on the horse and see when it was last galloped and take an informed guess and make the decision to buy it or not instead of making the seller pay GP.
Seller doesn’t have to pay game points they just have to have accurate information. They can gallop. But there is a difference between a bloomer and a peak and just expecting everyone that uses a public page to discern all of that is a little nuts. The comments could be listed as unknown or unavailable if they are inaccurate and that would also resolve this. But the game admin should not be providing inaccurate information on the public page.
I agree with Jack. Its buyer beware just as in rl. Do your due diligence and check the history. if the last gallop was a season or more ago then the rating might be inaccurate;. Go by the recent runs if there are any, they are a better guide than the gallop rating. Even if a horse is still a freak it doesn't mean it will win races.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago Even a few seasons ago I would have disagreed with that idea, but now, I’m definitely all for it. That, plus get rid of hypos. Both pretty misleading metrics that were not always part of the game (and both are metrics that in my opinion skew our opinion of a stud’s ability, how many great racehorses don’t get a deserved chance at stud because their hypos aren’t top tier? And I’m certainly a perpetrator of this too).
Hypo-mating is definitely trickery. I hypo more than I should and perhaps "fall victim" to it. I also tend to hypo over asking the BSA, because I believe it is cheaper (in terms of the exchange). The BSA may also be misleading, but if retire a filly and I see a really nice hypo, I will want to send that mare to a top stallion instead of my in-house ones. The only issue is that hypoing does cost GP and would hate for any type of revenue generator for the game go away without another offsetting/greater driver item to generate sale of GP.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Durzo Blint wrote: 2 years ago
Carole Hanson wrote: 2 years ago Even a few seasons ago I would have disagreed with that idea, but now, I’m definitely all for it. That, plus get rid of hypos. Both pretty misleading metrics that were not always part of the game (and both are metrics that in my opinion skew our opinion of a stud’s ability, how many great racehorses don’t get a deserved chance at stud because their hypos aren’t top tier? And I’m certainly a perpetrator of this too).
Hypo-mating is definitely trickery. I hypo more than I should and perhaps "fall victim" to it. I also tend to hypo over asking the BSA, because I believe it is cheaper (in terms of the exchange). The BSA may also be misleading, but if retire a filly and I see a really nice hypo, I will want to send that mare to a top stallion instead of my in-house ones. The only issue is that hypoing does cost GP and would hate for any type of revenue generator for the game go away without another offsetting/greater driver item to generate sale of GP.
That’s a very fair point. An alternative would have to be found if hypos were to go away.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Dave Trainer wrote: 2 years ago
Jack Ryder wrote: 2 years ago
Maybe the buyer can click on the horse and see when it was last galloped and take an informed guess and make the decision to buy it or not instead of making the seller pay GP.
Seller doesn’t have to pay game points they just have to have accurate information. They can gallop. But there is a difference between a bloomer and a peak and just expecting everyone that uses a public page to discern all of that is a little nuts. The comments could be listed as unknown or unavailable if they are inaccurate and that would also resolve this. But the game admin should not be providing inaccurate information on the public page.
I agree with Jack. Its buyer beware just as in rl. Do your due diligence and check the history. if the last gallop was a season or more ago then the rating might be inaccurate;. Go by the recent runs if there are any, they are a better guide than the gallop rating. Even if a horse is still a freak it doesn't mean it will win races.
I’ll just stop buying off the page without backup, problem solved. For me. But I still believe that information that appears to come from Admin should be accurate in the best interests of everyone. I cannot think of a valid case for intentionally misleading anyone. Whatever the rules are, people adjust accordingly so there are downstream effects to consider.

One question is are auctions the same? If information is included in an auction listing can we reasonably believe it’s accurate?
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Auctions are the same thing. The info isn’t provided by admin, it is scripted to look at the horses page and copy the info as it displays there. No one is misleading anyone in this case, it is designed just to show it how it is seen by the seller. Quick simple and easy, save the asking.

If the game had a built in way to automatically update comments and even threshholds, that would be much more convenient. I don’t believe we’ll see that though. It would take some of the challenge away from gauging the horses potential, just the comment part. (The threshholds part would be cool. Thresholds for the comments.)
;p
Burgundy Hill Farms
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Burgundy Hill Farms »

I like where Kelly is coming from on this. In days past, I got burned spending six figures on a productive because the gallop comments weren't listed on sales pages. Whether a horse is peak at 2 is an important piece of information a buyer might want before deciding to drop a big amount on a horse.

Perhaps if the system could post the year/week of the most recent gallop, it would at least help in that regard. Also, most SIMsters are open to getting PMs with questions about horses we're posting for sale and we'd be happy to honestly answer the peak vs. progressive vs. bloomer question.

Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

The sales page already lists the improver content too. You do though have to open the horses page and b look to see when it was last galloped or checked talent.
;p
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Phil Hoeflich wrote: 2 years ago Perhaps if the system could post the year/week of the most recent gallop, it would at least help in that regard.
Isn't this visible in the horse's history already?
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

I think the main problem is the new player who don't know, looks at stakes horse and says, oh my (200k or whatever price) is cheap but don't know enough, so buys it and the horse is really 5k claimer. There is so much info to consider and the new player just wouldn't know this.
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

But making mistakes is how u learn right!!
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

I know this was posted before, when u put a horse on alert make it so you can write a note on why it's on alert
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ma Springs »

Ryan Whitehead wrote: 2 years ago I have a very simple request that would save all players some time.

On the SHIPPING page can we have a column added where we can set the home location as well? That way we can set the home location and then ship. It could also be added to the Home Location page as well. Or just combine both pages into one page. lol

Just a thought. :)
I like this! And would like to add, in the same area:

In the Change home location section, could we have buttons or a dropdown with "Clear home location" and maybe "Use current location" (as a quick option for when you don't want/need to choose another farm, the latter only available when at a farm)?

It would save a couple of clicks every now and then. :)
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500