Training equipment question/frustration

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: Training equipment question/frustration

Post by Danny Derby »

You realize that each horse gets its own random check of equip/no equip when you gallop or vet them, right? Your other horses getting or not getting comments has absolutely no impact on the rest. There’s no issue here.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I would vet the 46 without a gallop piece a few times to see if their second piece is a vet piece instead. This may narrow it down to those that require no equipment or only one. If I GP check a horse and it is a two piecer, I mark them as equipment unknown so I know which ones require gallop pieces. If they are a vet piece, after I GP check them, then I just vet them until they give me that second piece. That being said I only GP check my freaks and sometimes stakes horses, depending on how much GP I have available. I also don't have Equiarmor because poor.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Stormy Peak wrote: 2 years ago

I wish that horses with gallop hints be eliminated from the gallop hint process, because I find it irritating to have a horse getting five or more hints telling me that he needs lasix.

I would rather have the chance of those other 4 hints go out to horses that don't have a hint.

Stormy
I don't think that's how it works stormy, I don't think Equip found on one horse eliminates the chance of the equipment found on others.
Each horse is equip checked individually regardless if mass worked as one large group.

It could be that those horses do not have a free gallop equipment piece which is why you are not receiving it.
The gallop piece might be the one you have to pay for and the free one might actually be the vet piece.

Or like others said, could be a 1 equip piece horse or none which in that case you will never get a gallop hint.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I would highly recommend ditching the idea of trying to find equipment through gallops and just doing works. It honestly saves a lot of frustration, and at least gives you a clue even if not a clear picture, so that then once they race you can ask the jockey and if they say the equipment is wrong, at least you have 2 or 3 options with fastest works that you can play around with. A long time ago, when my stable was much bigger and I was sim poor, I used to work all my things for equipment and I never had a horse turn up to the track with the wrong set of pieces.
Aidan O Brien
Derby Contender

Post by Aidan O Brien »

Agree with a couple of the comments above, I don't see a serious issue here. I'm not in favour of making the game any easier to play. I speak as someone who cannot figure out the equipment for most my horses either. If I spent more time working them and trying different combinations it should be straight forward to find the equipment.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I think its fair how the system works. I train all mine with individual pieces (one different piece, once a week at the same workout time) and then figure out the equipment. If I happen to get a random gallop comment, I just consider it a bonus. If I really can't get which pieces are correct, then as a last resort I will just pay the 1,500 GP. In my experience, thoroughbred equipment pieces based on workouts are way...wayyyy easier to figure out than mixers.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Caroline, and Randall, I MOSTLY use workouts to figure out equipment, just because gallops are not doing it for the most part.
Starting at Week 5 with my yearlings... I work them on each piece and immediately after their work they get a gallop. I then try to give them a week +1 day for recovery and go onto the next piece...and if they got piece during their gallop I start using that piece with a work on each other piece to try to find the fastest combo by the time they are 2 year olds.

Pietro - Thanks...you addressed something that I wasn't quite expressing, when you said, you didn't think that's how it works.
I wasn't quite sure if eliminating horses that already had a gallop piece would give those that didn't a better chance...and just make the process Quicker. Like limit a horse to 20 gallops and if the piece doesn't show up...offer us a chance to use Sim dollars too, to find out the piece ???.

I'm just tired of seeing some of my horses gallop up to 24+ WEEKS and still not get a piece...Which Are Gallop pieces. I'm not talking about 'no equipment' or 'vet pieces' here...but gallop pieces.

Yesterday I did finish up on training my 2 years olds that needed more gallops and finally got 3 more that came up with gallop pieces. I think I still have some sprinters that have been racing since week one that I am trying to figure out pieces for...and wonder how many of them need gallop pieces. I also often Vet my horses to try to find this information out.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
David Howard
Miler

Post by David Howard »

Regina's website also contains this useful equipment flow chart for anyone that hasn't yet discovered it.
Turf Mile stud:
Devonshire Lad
- $30,000

Turf Route studs:
Daddy Green
- $10,000
Mauriously - $10,000
Dunk and Egg - $10,000
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Stormy Peak wrote: 2 years ago Caroline, and Randall, I MOSTLY use workouts to figure out equipment, just because gallops are not doing it for the most part.
Starting at Week 5 with my yearlings... I work them on each piece and immediately after their work they get a gallop. I then try to give them a week +1 day for recovery and go onto the next piece...and if they got piece during their gallop I start using that piece with a work on each other piece to try to find the fastest combo by the time they are 2 year olds.

Pietro - Thanks...you addressed something that I wasn't quite expressing, when you said, you didn't think that's how it works.
I wasn't quite sure if eliminating horses that already had a gallop piece would give those that didn't a better chance...and just make the process Quicker. Like limit a horse to 20 gallops and if the piece doesn't show up...offer us a chance to use Sim dollars too, to find out the piece ???.

Stormy
You can use Sim dollars now. Use them to buy GP on the exchange and use the GP to buy both pieces.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Dave Trainer wrote: 2 years ago You can use Sim dollars now. Use them to buy GP on the exchange and use the GP to buy both pieces.

I've already mentioned this in a prior post.

GPs are Expensive in the exchange, and I don't want to waste them on horses that are productives on down...but those are still horses that as a group, bring in a nice income, but overall, not so much as to use their profits in the exchange.
So, what GPs I can afford in the exchange are used to pay for my Simperior, barrier races for my nicer horses, the occasional headshot and yes, sometimes equipment checks for my nicer horses. I will also spend the money to buy equipment when my horses have run and run and run in races and the jockey will finally give out the hint.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

The old fashion way of one equipment at a time is still effective but when you have alot of horse I guess this could be annoying
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Mass gallop until week 5, mass work once a week with diff pieces still works fine, supplement gp spending on the nicer horses to get them on the track faster
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

I noticed it takes 8 gallops to be fully fit so I seem to gallop till then and if I get a piece I get a piece if not then I do what I have too
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Stormy Peak wrote: 2 years ago
Dave Trainer wrote: 2 years ago You can use Sim dollars now. Use them to buy GP on the exchange and use the GP to buy both pieces.

I've already mentioned this in a prior post.

GPs are Expensive in the exchange, and I don't want to waste them on horses that are productives on down...but those are still horses that as a group, bring in a nice income, but overall, not so much as to use their profits in the exchange.
So, what GPs I can afford in the exchange are used to pay for my Simperior, barrier races for my nicer horses, the occasional headshot and yes, sometimes equipment checks for my nicer horses. I will also spend the money to buy equipment when my horses have run and run and run in races and the jockey will finally give out the hint.

Stormy
You said you wanted a way to use Sim dollars, you didn't say you wanted a cheap way to use them.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

A nice-to-have would be TP and VP tick boxes added to the same list as "unsure equipment", "equipment set", etc. That way we could easily see from the barn page which horses need to try what.

Above just added to two small things.