Help?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Help?

Post by Erin Sanderson »

My stable has tanked and I know it is no secret how very frustrated I am. Everyone is probably sick of my whining. "Just quit already." I dont want to quit, but I don't particularly see myself improving in any way, either. Anyone want to figure it out and tell me just where I've gone so badly wrong? This is my last ditch effort before I throw in the towel entirely.

Or better yet, someone want to come run my barn until the end of next year? If you do vastly better than I, I will know for certain that the problem is me and leave you some pretty horses when I give up, or we can work out a price, or whatever.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Re: Help?

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

U won Steward cups 4 years in a row
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Erin, I understand where you’re coming from because my stable has been doing poorly this season too apart from one standout. However, it’s important to remember that everyone goes through massive down times, especially after having fantastic seasons. I was riding a super big high when I was running Fiery Eyes and Mahler at the same time, and then they both retired, and my stable has been mediocre by my standards since. But I know there’s some nice young prospects down the line and I know that the rebuilding process will take a couple of seasons so some patience is definitely needed. I think you need to be a bit more patient with your stable and give them a few seasons to catch up to the level that you were experiencing not that long ago. You’ve definitely been through this kind of thing before, and you’ve come out of it just fine so I know you’ll do it again!

And try not to compare yourself to other stables, most of the time you’ll only notice the good stuff and not the unfavourable results.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Anthony Zappulla wrote: 1 year ago U won Steward cups 4 years in a row
Only when the "big" horses were running elsewhere or otherwise compromised, also irrelevant to how things are going NOW.

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Carole Hanson wrote: 1 year ago However, it’s important to remember that everyone goes through massive down times, especially after having fantastic seasons. I was riding a super big high when I was running Fiery Eyes and Mahler at the same time, and then they both retired, and my stable has been mediocre by my standards since.
Except this isn't a slump after a fantastic season. It has been a slow downhill slide for several years until here I am, with freaks and stakes only winning at 10-15% in claimers and NW2/3 every. Single. Week.

Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

Being completely honest here, I don't think it's you doing anything wrong. It's just the cycle of the Sim, where you'll have really good years and some not so great years. You've retired several very nice horses in the few years, so I think that's probably skewing your perspective (and numbers!) some. The frustration when your barn isn't doing what you think it should is understandable - heck, we've all been there - but that really doesn't mean you're doing things wrong.

I think you've got the foundations in your barn to produce even more success, and it really wouldn't surprise me to see you pick up some big races this year even with the horses you're running now. You have some yearlings and two year olds that look very promising. You have some very nice mares and stallions that are going to set you up well moving forwards, too.

If what you're doing now isn't enjoyable at all, then I'd say that trying a new division/setting some fun new goals or even taking a short break are completely valid options that could help you refresh and bring the enjoyment back.
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Get rid of EVERYTHING but your dirt routers.

That's your niche.

And run Atlas Falls in the Long Island Classic.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Yes, I will come help you out and prove to you I can run your barn the same if not worse.
;p
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Erin Sanderson wrote: 1 year ago
Anthony Zappulla wrote: 1 year ago U won Steward cups 4 years in a row
Only when the "big" horses were running elsewhere or otherwise compromised, also irrelevant to how things are going NOW.
I see, you have been playing for a long time so your goal and mind set is higher and understandable
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

If you were the only player, you would of course win every race. There are some very tough barns that have joined in the last 5-6 SIM seasons. This is probably part of it and shouldn’t cause you to think you are doing worse. Maybe with more players things are just spread out. That wouldn’t be a reason to feel bad.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Erin, My stable did something similar some years ago. It was bad enough that I even started to believe my 'Foremost' line was petering out. If I recall correctly, even breeding my best mares to super great stallions....there were like 2 foal crops were I didn't even get a stakes horse with each crop numbering close to 100 foals.

However, not too long after that, I ended up with horses like Convince Me, Heartborken, Roughian, Mal, and Foretold.

I just don't know why the slow sink then suddenly, like a cork popping back up again with some pretty nice horses, especially Roughian. : )

I know this probably won't cheer you up any...but I firmly believe that we cannot fully appreciate the big successes/good times, without experiencing almost equal amounts of bad times.

I also believe your stable's decline isn't really anything you are doing wrong, and like some here have suggested, it's just something that sometimes happens in the Sim...a series of bad slides, or having a some really nice horses that in a two or three year stretch, other stables ended up with super nice horses so your horses look like they are under-performing, rather than just knocking heads with some freaky freaks.

I have a T-bred turf router that's a freak...but he's like 4 now and barely earned $60,000... so I know that disappointment, and it happened last year too, with another T-bred freak. Like the 'sad wows' from way back when, it looks like we are getting 'sad freaks' here from time to time with the T-breds.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I think when you climb as high as you have, those down seasons feel even worse though they probably aren’t THAT bad. I would say, if the SIM is really upsetting you then maybe take a break for the rest of the season, hire an assistant trainer and come back in 8-10 weeks time if you feel like you want to.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I feel you. Last year I only won 1 G1 race, and while that was the SC Juvenile, that doesnt help my bank roll. I can't even stay above $1 mil. Anyway, luckily Hel has been doing okay in Africa so he is my first G1 winner of the year. Its always so sad to me when my freaks finish off the board in NW2 or NW3 races, which is always. Woo 12% win rate.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Honestly, I feel like every division in the game has taken a huge leap forward in quality recently, and it's tough not to feel the effects of that. I don't think it's you, I think it's just the flow of the SIM. That said, this is a game and it should bring you some level of joy, so do what you gotta do to get back there.
If you seriously want help or a fresh set of eyes, shoot me a PM. I have a small stable with low commitments and plenty of time to help you out.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Running a small barn like you do Erin, it's hard to get those top notch horses every season. You don't have the numbers to maintain those random upslides to make up for the downslides. There are definitely going to be your low years.
Just have to keep your head up, keep working and eventually you will be in that happy place again.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA