A couple of questions for The Steward

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

A couple of questions for The Steward

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Is/will equipment be entirely random and stand on its own or does/will equipment correlate with the horse's traits?

Is the best equipment always the same? For example IRL someone might put blinkers on a horse when they want it to flash speed; however, thus far I have raced all my horses with the "ideal equipment" in every race, without making changes for pace, etc.

Should we look for workouts to not just tell us what the ideal equipment is generally, or also to give us hints as to how the horse responds to different pieces? In the example above, I might consider blinkers if the horse truly worked the first split much faster when I want him to show speed. If a figure 8 helped him settle, I might choose that piece if I think the pace strategy calls for him to lay back, etc.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Re: A couple of questions for The Steward

Post by Gavin Guile »

What does the brave/interested/timid mean for a horse? How can we resonantly use this information to impact how we race our horses?
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago What does the brave/interested/timid mean for a horse? How can we resonantly use this information to impact how we race our horses?
The way I interpret that is it may give the horse an edge in a photo finish. Like say my horse's top speed figure is a 90, and of the other horses in a field, there are a couple that have run a 92. If my horse is "brave" that might be enough to win in a dogfight since the other horses aren't that much faster.

OR it might mean if your horse is a claimer (or just working slow if gallop comments go away entirely which I strongly hope they do not) and they're also timid, you might just want to not bother with them.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Nicole Marie wrote: 1 year ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago What does the brave/interested/timid mean for a horse? How can we resonantly use this information to impact how we race our horses?
The way I interpret that is it may give the horse an edge in a photo finish. Like say my horse's top speed figure is a 90, and of the other horses in a field, there are a couple that have run a 92. If my horse is "brave" that might be enough to win in a dogfight since the other horses aren't that much faster.
This is my assumption as well. It'll probably be used the same way weather preferences are used to decide who to send to top tier races.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 1 year ago Is/will equipment be entirely random and stand on its own or does/will equipment correlate with the horse's traits?
It used to correlate with traits in the old SIM but it stands on its own now.
Kelly Haggerty wrote: 1 year ago Is the best equipment always the same? For example IRL someone might put blinkers on a horse when they want it to flash speed; however, thus far I have raced all my horses with the "ideal equipment" in every race, without making changes for pace, etc.
Same re: Old SIM, you used to be able to change your tactics by doing this, but no one ever used it or cared, so we got rid of it.
Kelly Haggerty wrote: 1 year ago Should we look for workouts to not just tell us what the ideal equipment is generally, or also to give us hints as to how the horse responds to different pieces? In the example above, I might consider blinkers if the horse truly worked the first split much faster when I want him to show speed. If a figure 8 helped him settle, I might choose that piece if I think the pace strategy calls for him to lay back, etc.
Kind of similar to last question, it used to totally make a different up until like Year.... 28 ish? I'd have to check. I know that's going back a while. I wish, though!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

A brave horse is more likely to fight for the win. A brave horse is going to do well with a jump in class after a lower win. A brave horse is what you strive for in all things because it's a boost.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

OR it might mean if your horse is a claimer (or just working slow if gallop comments go away entirely which I strongly hope they do not) and they're also timid, you might just want to not bother with them.
This is pretty dead on. Basically if you have a claimer with no heart, slow works despite correct equipment, do not insure, and no chance in the breeding shed, I allow you to give up on those types.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Gwen Morse wrote: 1 year ago
This is my assumption as well. It'll probably be used the same way weather preferences are used to decide who to send to top tier races.
Every advantage helps, even if just a little bit. You feel better going into the Steward's Cup with a top rated jockey, heart horse, on the favorite kind of ground, than you do going in with a sack of potatoes, timid, least favorite kind... plus outside post position, just for fun.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
A brave horse is more likely to fight for the win. A brave horse is going to do well with a jump in class after a lower win. A brave horse is what you strive for in all things because it's a boost.
Thanks. If you (open to the forum - not just the steward) had a timid freak would you avoid the big big races (TC, Arc, SC, etc)
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago
The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
Thanks. If you (open to the forum - not just the steward) had a timid freak would you avoid the big big races (TC, Arc, SC, etc)
No, if my horse is racing well and I feel they have a shot, regardless of their gallop I am going up run them.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

Is bravery a trait that can be passed down?
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Autumn Blackmill wrote: 1 year ago Is bravery a trait that can be passed down?
You beat me too it Autumn. I know soundness can be passed down and was wondering about heart. Does a brave stud and a brave mare gurantee a brave foal?
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Nothing is guaranteed lol
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Eric Gray wrote: 1 year ago
Autumn Blackmill wrote: 1 year ago Is bravery a trait that can be passed down?
You beat me too it Autumn. I know soundness can be passed down and was wondering about heart. Does a brave stud and a brave mare gurantee a brave foal?
I imagine that just like a world class sire and world class dam can throw an absolute dud, nothing is guaranteed. Though I'm already curious if it is a trait passed down, as several of my "brave" yearlings are from the same dam line that I've always credited with grittiness.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Burgundy Hill Farms
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Burgundy Hill Farms »

How can I have a yearling colt that galloped productive and got the insure and hope to see in the breeding shed comments? It’s not likely that he’s going to be that good.