A couple of questions for The Steward

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Burgundy Hill Farms
Grade 1 Winner

Re: A couple of questions for The Steward

Post by Burgundy Hill Farms »

Oh, also...just how freaky will the new freaks be? In other words, will they be expected to be able to blow through their maiden race and start winning stakes pretty much straight away?

Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Phil Hoeflich wrote: 1 year ago Oh, also...just how freaky will the new freaks be? In other words, will they be expected to be able to blow through their maiden race and start winning stakes pretty much straight away?
well I just think this, if your horse was a freak and after regalloping or talentchecking still is, you can expect it will continue to do as well as it did before at least or have some improvement. If you had a now 2yo who was a freak and remains so, it can still be a soso but the chances of it being a complete underachiever have likely been reduced and just by definition, the fact that several horses who were classified freak and downgraded to stakes gives the chance your freak to do well increased, but I wouldn't expect much more than that..
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Phil Hoeflich wrote: 1 year ago Oh, also...just how freaky will the new freaks be? In other words, will they be expected to be able to blow through their maiden race and start winning stakes pretty much straight away?
If there are 12 freaks in a race 11 have to lose (unless there is a dead heat)
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Phil Hoeflich wrote: 1 year ago How can I have a yearling colt that galloped productive and got the insure and hope to see in the breeding shed comments? It’s not likely that he’s going to be that good.
I think lesser racehorses can still get a good breeding slide. There have been a few mixer stallions over the years that didn't make it to 350k (and thus got the requisite downgrade to their abilities) but even despite that they were still pretty useful in the shed.

Depends where the threshold for this comment sits and what stat it's actually describing. If "can't wait to see in the breeding shed" correlates with, say, a "star" and up BSA rating (no idea, just making things up here) then that's a different ballgame than if it reflects whatever data goes into hypo grades.
For all we know "can't wait to see in the shed" could just mean formidable level and above (and whatever the male equivalent of that is) which wouldn't mean too much. Or it could be a higher threshold and we should actually be getting excited about these yearlings lol.

I think the most exciting part of it for me is that for the first time we have a tiny hint into the possible breeding quality of our horses, especially the males, which we've never had before.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Laura Smith wrote: 1 year ago
Phil Hoeflich wrote: 1 year ago How can I have a yearling colt that galloped productive and got the insure and hope to see in the breeding shed comments? It’s not likely that he’s going to be that good.
I think lesser racehorses can still get a good breeding slide. There have been a few mixer stallions over the years that didn't make it to 350k (and thus got the requisite downgrade to their abilities) but even despite that they were still pretty useful in the shed.
^ This. Snowflake was definitely not a good racehorse with most of his earnings coming as a 2yo (GP sired races) though I guess he did somehow get 3rd in the SC AW Juvenile. But he only earned $260k on the track. His real shining moment was a sire with 86.5% winners, 14.6% stakes winners, sired 6 millionaires and average earnings of $95k. Who knows how good he would have been if he got $350k :shock:
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Good morning, This information is all very interesting.
Well, y'all will be happy to know that I shall not take any of this new information into consideration when entering horses. I a gonna just keep doing things the same way I have since SIM year 4. Please know that this is neither a complaint or a protest but rather a simple brain rebellion. This thread makes my head ache. So this is me entering everything and happy to do so and breeding randomly blissfully. Eschewing the spreadsheet site nce that is too much like my work and skipping down the flower-power SIM Lane singing, Feeling Alright, Not Feeling Too Bad Myself...... jX
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Thank the gods
;p
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
Nicole Marie wrote: 1 year ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago What does the brave/interested/timid mean for a horse? How can we resonantly use this information to impact how we race our horses?
The way I interpret that is it may give the horse an edge in a photo finish. Like say my horse's top speed figure is a 90, and of the other horses in a field, there are a couple that have run a 92. If my horse is "brave" that might be enough to win in a dogfight since the other horses aren't that much faster.

OR it might mean if your horse is a claimer (or just working slow if gallop comments go away entirely which I strongly hope they do not) and they're also timid, you might just want to not bother with them.
This is pretty dead on. Basically if you have a claimer with no heart, slow works despite correct equipment, do not insure, and no chance in the breeding shed, I allow you to give up on those types.
How do you know it has no chance in the breeding shed... is this the longer career comment 🤔
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Jon Xett wrote: 1 year ago Good morning, This information is all very interesting.
Well, y'all will be happy to know that I shall not take any of this new information into consideration when entering horses. I a gonna just keep doing things the same way I have since SIM year 4. Please know that this is neither a complaint or a protest but rather a simple brain rebellion. This thread makes my head ache. So this is me entering everything and happy to do so and breeding randomly blissfully. Eschewing the spreadsheet site nce that is too much like my work and skipping down the flower-power SIM Lane singing, Feeling Alright, Not Feeling Too Bad Myself...... jX
the sim godfather has spoken !
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Nena Olson wrote: 1 year ago
Laura Smith wrote: 1 year ago
^ This. Snowflake was definitely not a good racehorse with most of his earnings coming as a 2yo (GP sired races) though I guess he did somehow get 3rd in the SC AW Juvenile. But he only earned $260k on the track. His real shining moment was a sire with 86.5% winners, 14.6% stakes winners, sired 6 millionaires and average earnings of $95k. Who knows how good he would have been if he got $350k :shock:
hes also a real nice broodmare sire i have at least 2 sc wins from his broodmares
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago Thank the gods
lol
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Joseph Depaulo wrote: 1 year ago

the sim godfather has spoken !
Thanks_since this is how Scott Eiland would refer to me in podcasts, I’ll take it as a compliment.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

People are falsely equating insure with a gallop level. Insure is more an overall thing, gallop level OR breeding shed OR possibility of jumping. It's not just "must be an allowance gallop" answer here.

But as noted earlier, if he's NOT going to jump, it doesn't matter how good he might be in the shed if he doesn't hit that $350k.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Dave Trainer wrote: 1 year ago
If there are 12 freaks in a race 11 have to lose (unless there is a dead heat)
This is always going to be the case... something people struggle with!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago What does the brave/interested/timid mean for a horse? How can we resonantly use this information to impact how we race our horses?
A brave horse is what you strive for in all things because it's a boost.

This word 'strive' implies it is something you WORK for, not just get lucky to have. So I now assume its something we can breed for ???