A couple of questions for The Steward

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Re: A couple of questions for The Steward

Post by Art K Stables »

While it’s now noted that insure comment is not totally tied to a gallop level , the decision on what the game considers insurable level and the owner are not necessarily the same.. the owner is looking for info over advice, and that’s a decision that the owner has to make based on the stables finances and I very much doubt that advice considers the barns situation and the real info that would actually be helpful is why this advice is being given.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Now I must know... who has a different career/claimer/solid/productive who has the insure comment?
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Art K Stables wrote: 1 year ago While it’s now noted that insure comment is not totally tied to a gallop level , the decision on what the game considers insurable level and the owner are not necessarily the same.. the owner is looking for info over advice, and that’s a decision that the owner has to make based on the stables finances and I very much doubt that advice considers the barns situation and the real info that would actually be helpful is why this advice is being given.
It's really good info to know that "insure" isn't strictly tied to gallop level... I'm still not going to insure all my "insure"rs but they're definitely going to be given an extra chance to succeed.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Perhaps this has already been asked and I've just missed it in the many threads that have discussed new comments this break. Someone please direct my attention that way if so. In case it hasn't, question:

When it comes to gallop comments, we know that our beloved assistant trainer Mary Weather may, on occasion, underestimate a horse's ability level - she says it's productive or whatever, trainer throws it in a claimer, it busts out a 96 and goes on to be a G1 winner, she revises her assessment to stakes or freak the next time she takes a look at it. Now, earlier there was mention that "Insure is more an overall thing, gallop level OR breeding shed OR possibility of jumping". So if she says to insure what looks like a nag, she might think there's a possibility of a jump in its future, or other nice things. But if she says "I wouldn't bother insuring The Nag right now" (emphasis added), would that indicate she's pretty certain there's no surprise improvement in its future, or does "right now" also mean "but maybe later because nothing is ever for certain no matter how much smack I talk about your horses"?

Same thing: this horse seems timid, "we'll see." Is there a possibility of future blockbuster films about the shy little nobody, bullied by all the other colts in training, who found his true spirit in the climactic head-to-head duel on the track, and his heart grew three sizes that day, etc?
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Shannon Hunt wrote: 1 year agoBut if she says "I wouldn't bother insuring The Nag right now" (emphasis added), would that indicate she's pretty certain there's no surprise improvement in its future, or does "right now" also mean "but maybe later because nothing is ever for certain no matter how much smack I talk about your horses"?
I think it goes both ways. She is pretty sure but never 100% sure because there's so many little elements of randomness, so "even she can't predict the future" (wait isn't that someone else? Maybe it's her.) But she's right in that you don't need to worry about insuring it right now, and if it did get a jump she would change her tune. There's that gray area of not insuring it and it never makes it to the races due to getting hurt, but the stars would all have to align).
Shannon Hunt wrote: 1 year ago Same thing: this horse seems timid, "we'll see." Is there a possibility of future blockbuster films about the shy little nobody, bullied by all the other colts in training, who found his true spirit in the climactic head-to-head duel on the track, and his heart grew three sizes that day, etc?
There is no chance it will ever become brave, but there is a chance it will "overcome" the obstacles and still win races because there's so much else at play.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
Shannon Hunt wrote: 1 year agoBut if she says "I wouldn't bother insuring The Nag right now" (emphasis added), would that indicate she's pretty certain there's no surprise improvement in its future, or does "right now" also mean "but maybe later because nothing is ever for certain no matter how much smack I talk about your horses"?
I think it goes both ways. She is pretty sure but never 100% sure because there's so many little elements of randomness, so "even she can't predict the future" (wait isn't that someone else? Maybe it's her.) But she's right in that you don't need to worry about insuring it right now, and if it did get a jump she would change her tune. There's that gray area of not insuring it and it never makes it to the races due to getting hurt, but the stars would all have to align).
Shannon Hunt wrote: 1 year ago Same thing: this horse seems timid, "we'll see." Is there a possibility of future blockbuster films about the shy little nobody, bullied by all the other colts in training, who found his true spirit in the climactic head-to-head duel on the track, and his heart grew three sizes that day, etc?
There is no chance it will ever become brave, but there is a chance it will "overcome" the obstacles and still win races because there's so much else at play.
Gotcha! I will continue my strategy of hunting random jumpers in the lower ranks regardless of Mary's opinions then ;) And yeah, I figure a horse who can comfortably outrun its competition by several lengths rarely has to worry about having to fight for position. The kind who is so timid it just runs away from the other horses out of sheer terror :P
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Well one thing for sure , when the insure comments happen without gallops then I have nothing to go by until the workouts so there’s not much point in insuring anything until then
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Has there been any clarity of the “longer career” comment is about the longevity of a horse’s talent or lack of talent breeding?
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago Has there been any clarity of the “longer career” comment is about the longevity of a horse’s talent or lack of talent breeding?
I have galloped my horses 4 times each and not a single breeding shed has appeared with the longer career comment thus far.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago Has there been any clarity of the “longer career” comment is about the longevity of a horse’s talent or lack of talent breeding?
I think for a couple of reasons its about being better on the track tidbits the shed because I’ve had horses in the same comment saying you can race it longer “ if you want to” and then say its at its peak and don’t wait too long .. I’ve yet to hear anyone say they have a horse with can’t wait to breed it and also longer career .. if anyone sees shed and longer career on the same horse please mention it
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Phil Hoeflich wrote: 1 year ago How can I have a yearling colt that galloped productive and got the insure and hope to see in the breeding shed comments? It’s not likely that he’s going to be that good.
People are falsely equating insure with a gallop level. Insure is more an overall thing, gallop level OR breeding shed OR possibility of jumping. It's not just "must be an allowance gallop" answer here.

But as noted earlier, if he's NOT going to jump, it doesn't matter how good he might be in the shed if he doesn't hit that $350k.
Bringing this back because I have a colt here who has received both a “don’t insure” and “I’d like to see him in the breeding shed” comment. Whereas your post here suggests this should be impossible right? Because an insure comment would suggest some breeding ability which would explain the breeding shed comment, but he received the opposite of the insure comment. Here’s the colt: https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1552395
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Carole Hanson wrote: 1 year ago
Phil Hoeflich wrote: 1 year ago How can I have a yearling colt that galloped productive and got the insure and hope to see in the breeding shed comments? It’s not likely that he’s going to be that good.
People are falsely equating insure with a gallop level. Insure is more an overall thing, gallop level OR breeding shed OR possibility of jumping. It's not just "must be an allowance gallop" answer here.

But as noted earlier, if he's NOT going to jump, it doesn't matter how good he might be in the shed if he doesn't hit that $350k.
Bringing this back because I have a colt here who has received both a “don’t insure” and “I’d like to see him in the breeding shed” comment. Whereas your post here suggests this should be impossible right? Because an insure comment would suggest some breeding ability which would explain the breeding shed comment, but he received the opposite of the insure comment. Here’s the colt: https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1552395
I have a filly like this too. She is a claimer gallop, has the don't insure but breeding shed comment. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1598076

Y62-Preseason Trainer: I wouldn't bother insuring '61 Dark July Night' right now, unless you're attached to the pedigree. This horse looks to be a late bloomer. You should bring her along carefully.
Y62-Preseason Galloped
Y62-Preseason Trainer: I'm really hoping to see '61 Dark July Night' in the breeding shed one day! This horse looks to be a late bloomer. You should bring her along carefully.

Mixed messages :lol:
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Nena Olson wrote: 1 year ago

I have a filly like this too. She is a claimer gallop, has the don't insure but breeding shed comment. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1598076

Y62-Preseason Trainer: I wouldn't bother insuring '61 Dark July Night' right now, unless you're attached to the pedigree. This horse looks to be a late bloomer. You should bring her along carefully.
Y62-Preseason Galloped
Y62-Preseason Trainer: I'm really hoping to see '61 Dark July Night' in the breeding shed one day! This horse looks to be a late bloomer. You should bring her along carefully.

I assume the insure comment looks at racing ability (with the footnote of insure if you like the pedigree) and the breeding shed comment looks at breeding ability. But that’s just a guess on my part. So not mixed messages, just two comments from different abilities
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 1 year ago
Nena Olson wrote: 1 year ago

Y62-Preseason Galloped

I assume the insure comment looks at racing ability (with the footnote of insure if you like the pedigree) and the breeding shed comment looks at breeding ability. But that’s just a guess on my part. So not mixed messages, just two comments from different abilities
Em said the insure comment was based off of gallops, improvement and breeding potential
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I am looking at all these good points and in the back of my mind remembering something I learned very early in the game. The Steward is a writer and good with words, which she chooses pretty carefully. When she reveals a tidbit it is usually golden and the comments in the game are often very insightful as well. I have been able to make changes to my routine based on some of the comments and feedback, with positive results. So I am very interested in seeing how all this plays out. For now, if the game says the horse belongs in the shed, I am going to think twice about letting that one go, even though I have no idea what that all really means yet.