Very Unsound Freak - Strategies

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Paul Sellers
Eclipse Champion

Very Unsound Freak - Strategies

Post by Paul Sellers »

Hi friends,

So I have stumbled into a freak, who based on speed figures so far, could be very very good. But this freak is very unsound.

How do people handle that? Typically I would use a 3 week spacing but as you can imagine, oftentimes the G1 races are two weeks or four weeks apart. Would you ever go four weeks in between races? What strategies have worked for people who have had unsound horses.

Thanks 👍🙏
"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse."

-- John Galsworthy
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Re: Very Unsound Freak - Strategies

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

I'm no expert but 5 races a year and if u had to race 2 weeks apart once I say that would be ok
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Oh and 4 weeks is considered a lay off
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Buy a companion, use shedrow walking, use vet, use first class shipping.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I don't even look at the soundness. Two weeks is fine as long as you mix in the occassional three weeks. As Kelly suggested companion animal and first class shipping would help too and if you do both those should be totally fine to run 7 times a year. My two cents.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I guess I need to run my ponies more often because I run normally every 3-4 weeks with the odd 2 week dash in between. If 4 weeks, I have been known to gallop after 2…and then again, I may be no particular judge as I’m hardly on the top of the lists…best of luck Paul…carry on. ;)
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Alot is preference tho
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Paul Sellers wrote: 1 year ago Hi friends,

So I have stumbled into a freak, who based on speed figures so far, could be very very good. But this freak is very unsound.

How do people handle that? Typically I would use a 3 week spacing but as you can imagine, oftentimes the G1 races are two weeks or four weeks apart. Would you ever go four weeks in between races? What strategies have worked for people who have had unsound horses.

Thanks 👍🙏

Honestly I run most of my horses 3 weeks apart
I wouldn't be too worried about it and if you Wana sneak in a race on 2 weeks it shouldn't be a problem.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I’ve done a 4 week rest for unsound horses , as long as you give them exercise of various kinds understanding they all have their own costs of tiredness for the sake of fitness
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

I would say the same as Andrew James
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I vote sell it. Is that the question?
;p
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

What I find is, if the horse is somewhat/very unsound, you need to build in either (i) an easier race at some point, or (ii) give the horse longer than 2 weeks between races. You can't hammer too many hard races in a row, especially if you're running every other week. I'm not afraid to take a four week break, for the right situation, but if I do that, there's going to be some form of exercise - swim, gallop, work - during those four weeks.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I'm not afraid to run very unsounds on two weeks, sometimes even twice in a row, but if that's the case I try to give them extra rest after (like 1-4-6-8-12, for example.)
First class shipping goes a long way. Companion animals help.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Tom Mudgett
Derby Contender

Post by Tom Mudgett »

First class shipping and maximizing farm rest is my way. Ship to farm from last race on the same day and ship to next race the day before (less than 24 hours before deadline). Then just trying to find the spots where I think the horse belongs. Good luck!
Zarley - 25k - DM
Troika - 25k - DM
Timeweaver - 20k - DM
Swordsman - 15k - DM
Fra Mauro - 15k - DM
Some Rocky Socket - 10k - DM/DR
Cotton Eye Joe - 5k - DM
Bourg - 3.5k - DM