Auction Idea

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Re: Auction Idea

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Uncle Sam would have it no other way!!
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I've thought about this before, and it is could be different from proxy bidding. I think there were some chat auctions that went like a 'real' auction, in that horses were offered one at a time until there were no more bids, then it sold. When I used to be at RL auctions, I had to figure out by the hip numbers which horses I really wanted and how much I would pay against their order into the ring and what I thought they might go for. Of course with only a one horse limit at a stew sale it would be meat to see how the big spenders get weeded out, and who waits for a late number only to find they are up against someone with deep pockets who's been waiting in the shadows. Of course there's no way to address the time zone question, but it could be fun once in a while, and with a max limit on the horses available in the auction. Lots of online auctions have 'rolling' close too, so that might be something to think about.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I can see the swarm of messages to The Steward asking her to change the orders of horses based on people's schedules/horse preferences already...

My personal change wish was that we could bid on more than 2 horses and win up to our max stewardbred allotment in a single auction. Though I'm sure others hate that idea.

As with all things in the game there is no situation that will make everyone happy. Forum is a great place to throw out your thoughts and then the powers that be can do what they feel is best.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

The fact auctions end at different times for players because of where they are in the world, makes this idea another thoroughly unfair way to play the game. People spend lots of time on the game and do so at a time that is convenient to them with where they are in the world, sitting around for hours watching auctions end doesn’t make you a better game player.

It makes you someone who wants to snaffle everything good from an auction yourself, instead of horses being fairly spread about with the current format because you can’t snipe at the end for every horse you want (proxy bids aside- you want a horse that badly, put your top price in, instead of waiting to snipe someone).

I did this with an auction earlier this week and woke to see how many I’d won- not all of them, but I’d put my proxy bids in and went to sleep. What we have now works fairly- for everyone.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Katie Stepanian wrote: 1 year ago The fact auctions end at different times for players because of where they are in the world, makes this idea another thoroughly unfair way to play the game. People spend lots of time on the game and do so at a time that is convenient to them with where they are in the world, sitting around for hours watching auctions end doesn’t make you a better game player.

It makes you someone who wants to snaffle everything good from an auction yourself, instead of horses being fairly spread about with the current format because you can’t snipe at the end for every horse you want (proxy bids aside- you want a horse that badly, put your top price in, instead of waiting to snipe someone).

I did this with an auction earlier this week and woke to see how many I’d won- not all of them, but I’d put my proxy bids in and went to sleep. What we have now works fairly- for everyone.
Exactly this

I had the same thing last week, had a bid on 4 horses, auction ended at like midnight so I just put in my max bid and went to bed. Woke up and found I won 2 of the horses. Other players were willing to spend more than me so I lost the other 2 fair and square
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Katie Stepanian wrote: 1 year ago instead of horses being fairly spread about with the current format because you can’t snipe at the end for every horse you want (proxy bids aside- you want a horse that badly, put your top price in, instead of waiting to snipe someone).
This is my concern too, that it would create more opportunities for sniping.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago Taxes!!!
Uh oh....
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Katie Stepanian wrote: 1 year ago The fact auctions end at different times for players because of where they are in the world, makes this idea another thoroughly unfair way to play the game. People spend lots of time on the game and do so at a time that is convenient to them with where they are in the world, sitting around for hours watching auctions end doesn’t make you a better game player.

These are great points - I was originally reading the suggestion as only applicable to Stewardbred auctions where you can only bid on 2 horses at a time and only win 1. The stewardbred limit would prevent from the constant sniping at the end, but completely agree with the points raised here if this format was for every auction ever made.