Auction Idea

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Auction Idea

Post by Danny Derby »

Was thinking of a staggered ending on horses in auctions so you don't have a scenario where the sale on 100 horses ends at the same time giving buyers next to no time to react. I think it would be really interesting to see a system where you can set an auction end time, and that's when bidding on Horse #1 in the catalog ends. Each subsequent horse in the auction would have 1-2 more minutes until bidding on that one ended and the next horse was up. Would add some layers of complexity to bidding, turn auctions into an all day event, and give people more chances to bid if they get shut out on a horse they may have wanted.

Didn't post this on one small thing because it's clearly not a small thing, just wondering if people think this sounds cool or just a terrible idea.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Auction Idea

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Some people don’t have all day to sit and wait for a game auction to end 🤷‍♀️
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Isn't that what proxy bidding is for? if someone outbids you, you already put the highest you wanted to pay for that horse, they were willing to pay more than you fair and square.

As someone who's restructuring their stable specifically because I don't have RL time to play the SIM like I used to, I don't like the idea. Though I'd just have a max bid set anyway so wouldn't have any effect.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I agree with Rochelle, yes while proxy bidding is supposed to be your bidding high, people change their minds all the time. It also gives an advantage to the people who bid on the first one up in that if they fail, they now have freed up money and a chance to bid on other horses while other people are still waiting on their horse to come up and now face unfair competition the bidders in the first horse did not
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I can understand why the idea was proposed, but it would make me crazy. Also, it would encourage some not-so-good behaviors. Proxy bidding should suffice and most of the players don't have enough money for proxy to not be enough to solve problems. If you can only afford to pay a certain amount, that is what you bid.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

I personally think it is a great idea. I understand some people do not have time to sit around and wait and bid, but there should be some correlation between time spent on the game and success in the game, this would be one of those instances. As noted there are proxy bids for those people that can't be there.

However, with these auctions, I can only have a max bid on 2 horses. I typically only have one high bid since I put my all of money as my max bid. Usually, I have to log-in and keep refreshing the auction page because, undoubtedly, I will be outbid on the horse that has my max bid with mere seconds remaining in the auction, at which point, I quickly open up a random horse and put another max bid of all money, hoping I just did to someone what someone did to me.

I think it's a cool concept and would be interested.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

There have been auctions with 500 horses. At 2 minute intervals that is 1000 minutes or over 16 hours. There is nothing wrong with how actions work now. Players have the choice which horses to bid on. If someone chooses to bid all their money on one horse that is up to them.

How does being on at the end of an auction correlate to the amount of time spent on the game? I spend time choosing horses to bid on. I don't bid on other horses at random just because I've been sniped
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I am also in the camp of this not working so well. We’ve all, I’m sure, experienced the pain of having an auction finish at night time when we have to work early morning the next day. Not being able to wake up for that auction and wait to bid on the one horse you want is not a question of player skill, it’s just an unfair advantage to someone who can be around for that auction and can dedicate lots of time to it. Proxy bidding works well enough.
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Dave Trainer wrote: 1 year ago There have been auctions with 500 horses. At 2 minute intervals that is 1000 minutes or over 16 hours. There is nothing wrong with how actions work now. Players have the choice which horses to bid on. If someone chooses to bid all their money on one horse that is up to them.

How does being on at the end of an auction correlate to the amount of time spent on the game? I spend time choosing horses to bid on. I don't bid on other horses at random just because I've been sniped
I think the 500 horses in one auction may not work for this scenario, I agree. I also agree nothing is 'wrong' with now they work now, but you can always try and find improvements.

I think time spent on the game is time spent. I spend a lot of time entering horses, training horses, and then I spend a crazy amount of time researching breeding options. It is true that the time I spend on that does not correlate to any kind of success, unfortunately for me. I think if someone has the ability and wants to spend 2 hours online as the auction is on-going to try and win a horse, that's pretty awesome, and that time spent allows they to be more selective or reactive, great. Just like I think if someone can only participate or be online for a portion of the auction and win the horse they want, that's pretty cool. Just like I think if someone cannot be online during that time, but wins a horse they want via proxy bid, that's awesome too.

For the last point, I should have chosen my words more carefully. I do spend a lot of time coming up with a list of the horses I hope to get in the auction and usually have a few horses that have lower bids to try to snipe at the end in the event I am sniped.

All that said, I just think it is a cool idea and something fun that I would be excited to participate in.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Jo Ferris wrote: 1 year ago Isn't that what proxy bidding is for? if someone outbids you, you already put the highest you wanted to pay for that horse, they were willing to pay more than you fair and square.
100% agree.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

That's really a terrible idea Danny.
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

Leave auctions alone.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Gwayne's World wrote: 1 year ago That's really a terrible idea Danny.
You realize this is how auctions actually operate in real life, right?
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

In real life you pay taxes on those sales :D
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Taxes!!!
;p