Notice gallops to remain with new features

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Re: Notice gallops to remain with new features

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

How do we know heart comment is small value?
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

This is what I must be missing, if "heart" has little value and is only a "tiebreaker" of sorts, what is a trainer supposed to do with that information, other than I guess help explain an occasional surprising win, or occasional disappointing loss? If a horse likes to be a front runner or come from behind, what difference does that make to a trainer? Are there certain training exercises that would help the horse where its deficient or help the horse accentuate its running style? If not, what is the value of this information? What is the trainer supposed to do with it? If nothing, whats the point of it? Every other rating is explained on its value but this, plus, until the columns come in its mostly invisible anyway and will be ignored by most trainers when placing horses in races, especially larger barns. There are plenty of ways to increase the columns, many of the ratings listed can easily be abbreviated and understood.. peak/prog/LB, much less space, NP, Dry, Dry+,mud,mud+, much less space, theres plenty of room if these ratings are abbrev. I think for the most part the new info has minimal value and the gallop ratings will remain the most valuable. Also, I think the gallop ratings and the shift in ratings should not be based on an arbitrary ability level, but just ranked.., the top 25 in whatever racing division get a freak, etc.. this way, this arbitrary shift which then ruins stallion ratings,and inevitably disappoints would never have to happen. The explanation that this ratings shift does not actually change the value of the horse is no solace.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Get rid of gallops? Ok. Who’s down for the no gallop challenge year 62? We skip festivus and just wait until week 5 to do timed works. Listen it sounds scary but I’ve done it with hundreds of horses. It’s no big deal.
;p
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago Get rid of gallops? Ok. Who’s down for the no gallop challenge year 62? We skip festivus and just wait until week 5 to do timed works. Listen it sounds scary but I’ve done it with hundreds of horses. It’s no big deal.
Since the announcement has been made and no doubt heavily favored, not sure what the point of the question is, though maybe if there enough people who didn't want the gallops you could have pref setting to hide the gallops and play like you prefer. I am 100% for you not seeing your gallops too.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Art K Stables wrote: 1 year ago
Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago Get rid of gallops? Ok. Who’s down for the no gallop challenge year 62? We skip festivus and just wait until week 5 to do timed works. Listen it sounds scary but I’ve done it with hundreds of horses. It’s no big deal.
Since the announcement has been made and no doubt heavily favored, not sure what the point of the question is, though maybe if there enough people who didn't want the gallops you could have pref setting to hide the gallops and play like you prefer. I am 100% for you not seeing your gallops too.
Art we can just not gallop too. It’s pretty fun. Just do all the other training and use workouts to find equipment. We can start a support group to help each other figure which ones are worth racing. When you do that first timed work with semi or correct equipment and distance/surface it’s way better than gallops. Like week 14/15 yearling year. So it’s a long time to wait but I’m telling you exciting.
;p
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Jo Ferris wrote: 1 year ago
I don’t think anyone races their claimers in that division since they’re completely useless, it just doesn’t make sense why I have a claimer that has a lot of natural speed, but my freak has never gotten that comment, I feel like the freak would actually have a lot of speed.
That's referring to running style, not necessarily actual speed. So if you see a race where the PPs show every horse in it wins when they close from back of the pack and your horse has natural speed, that's an advantageous spot for them since they'd be the only speed in the race.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Nicole Marie wrote: 1 year ago
I don’t think anyone races their claimers in that division since they’re completely useless, it just doesn’t make sense why I have a claimer that has a lot of natural speed, but my freak has never gotten that comment, I feel like the freak would actually have a lot of speed.
That's referring to running style, not necessarily actual speed. So if you see a race where the PPs show every horse in it wins when they close from back of the pack and your horse has natural speed, that's an advantageous spot for them since they'd be the only speed in the race.
Wait what? I had no idea that was a running style. So what is it? Like a front runner/pace setter? Seems like an odd way to put it saying the horse has a lot of speed. That makes a lot more sense 🤣 I also don’t know racing at all in RL so I’m guessing that maybe it’s not an odd way to word it considering others know what it means, but for the average non horse racing fan it is very oddly worded
Anthony Zappulla wrote: 1 year ago How do we know heart comment is small value?
Regardless wether a visible or hidden stat it doesn’t change anything in terms of how the horse performs, and if it is in fact a random stat that can’t be bred for I don’t see the point in having it visible.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Wait what? I had no idea that was a running style. So what is it? Like a front runner/pace setter? Seems like an odd way to put it saying the horse has a lot of speed. That makes a lot more sense 🤣 I also don’t know racing at all in RL so I’m guessing that maybe it’s not an odd way to word it considering others know what it means, but for the average non horse racing fan it is very oddly worded
Regardless wether a visible or hidden stat it doesn’t change anything in terms of how the horse performs, and if it is in fact a random stat that can’t be bred for I don’t see the point in having it visible.
Yep! So that one and the comments "doesn't mind being held behind another horse" and "comes from the clouds and needs pace to run at" all refer to their running style. (I follow racing in real life and I agree it could have been a little more clear, like "your horse likes to set the pace" or something, but I was able to figure it out based on the existence of the other comments on my other horses plus a few forum posts.) So if your horse has the natural speed comment and you're between two races that seem equal speed figure/track condition wise, but one has a lot of horses who win when they go wire to wire (lead the entire way), you may want to choose the other one since your horse could get in a speed duel if half the field likes to be up front.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Are you sure it doesn't change how a horse performs?

Cause the way I see it and this is still yet to be determined cause we really dont know anything on heart yet, other then it definitely gives a bouns is if your freak lost a couple races in a row and is brave he has a good chance at winning, if he were timid you can forget it. Most likely would need to to barrier trail to get him right again. Which will cost u real $

If I'm correct would u say heart then means something?
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

It’s visible because some people complain too much?
;p
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

If it comes to a close finish a horse with heart will beat a timid horse, much the same as a top jockey will beat a poor one. I don't see it being any more than that.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Anthony Zappulla wrote: 1 year ago Are you sure it doesn't change how a horse performs?

Cause the way I see it and this is still yet to be determined cause we really dont know anything on heart yet, other then it definitely gives a bouns is if your freak lost a couple races in a row and is brave he has a good chance at winning, if he were timid you can forget it. Most likely would need to to barrier trail to get him right again. Which will cost u real $

If I'm correct would u say heart then means something?
That was worded poorly, I was in a rush

What I mean is that if it is in fact a random stat that cannot be bred for, which it seems to be considering how evenly split it is in my stable, what's the point of seeing it? If you can't breed for it then there's point to see the stat for breeding purposes. You cannot change the stat, it is not variable, it just is what it is. How do I explain this, it doesn't change anything, it's still the same horse, that horse is still at the same ability as it always has. Learning this information does nothing for me. Think of all the horses you've had that go on losing streaks and just can't seem to recover easily off a loss, or those that it really doesn't matter, they come back at their best, assuming that's what this rating is, it doesn't change a thing, it's the same thing.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Nicole Marie wrote: 1 year ago Yep! So that one and the comments "doesn't mind being held behind another horse" and "comes from the clouds and needs pace to run at" all refer to their running style. (I follow racing in real life and I agree it could have been a little more clear, like "your horse likes to set the pace" or something, but I was able to figure it out based on the existence of the other comments on my other horses plus a few forum posts.) So if your horse has the natural speed comment and you're between two races that seem equal speed figure/track condition wise, but one has a lot of horses who win when they go wire to wire (lead the entire way), you may want to choose the other one since your horse could get in a speed duel if half the field likes to be up front.
Set the pace would be much better, then I wouldn't be scratching my head for 6 weeks :lol:

Ok, so the "lots of speed" is a pacesetter
"doesn't mind being held behind another horse" I assumed was they don't care where they run, is that right? Sorry, don't know horse racing terms, the only racing I follow is F1
"Come from the clouds" I assume is a backmarker, I feel like there's gotta be another term cause they actually can compete :lol: but like a horse that stays in the back most of the race then comes from behind

Considering I've played this game for like 11 years, I've never felt so lost here
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Jo Ferris wrote: 1 year ago Set the pace would be much better, then I wouldn't be scratching my head for 6 weeks :lol:

Ok, so the "lots of speed" is a pacesetter
"doesn't mind being held behind another horse" I assumed was they don't care where they run, is that right? Sorry, don't know horse racing terms, the only racing I follow is F1
"Come from the clouds" I assume is a backmarker, I feel like there's gotta be another term cause they actually can compete :lol: but like a horse that stays in the back most of the race then comes from behind

Considering I've played this game for like 11 years, I've never felt so lost here
In real life racing, 'tactical speed/doesn't mind being held behind' can mean that they will set the pace if there's no more pace, but they're also fine being just behind the leaders/being flexible. They rarely will win from way back in real life (so they prefer to sit, say, 2nd-4th in a 10 horse field, but it's not an exact science) but I'm not sure if in the sim it's intended to be the equivalent of 'doesn't care about weather condition'. A basic term for 'come from the clouds' would be a closer or a 'deep closer' and those horses require speed up front to create a pace meltdown (for example, the Kentucky Derby this year was won by a major longshot, and the race had set up for him perfectly due to an intense speed duel up front that cooked the horses close to the pace). That horse has only won one other race other than the Kentucky Derby, because usually the pace is soft enough up front that the horses ahead of him have energy left in the tank, and he isn't quite as fast as they are, so since when the homestretch comes and the real running begins, they have a multi-length lead on him already and aren't so very much more tired than him that he can make it up. But in the Derby they were absolutely sizzling, and then that combined with him running the race of his life and he won it. I joked to someone "Rich Strike is going to win this dang race" when I saw the time for the first half, and that comment was made completely off of the pace they were going at and the other horse's running styles. (People were expecting a decent pace, but not THAT fast, and they figured another closer would close more strongly than him, and that's the very basic version of why his odds were so long and how he wound up winning.)