Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Re: Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Post by Jon Xett »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago Don’t you love it when you have a really special horse and people name theirs similar to yours just change the name alittle bit. Swap letters around so it looks similar but it’s not the same
Satelite and Satellite? Spelling error was my bad. I didn't blam dem won bitt.
Pardon me while I go name a horse, Alittle. Ha! jX
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Jon Xett wrote: 1 year ago LOL! There are options that already exist without more changes.
Be sociable and just ask. The owner of the name can say yes or no.
Move on to another name, get creative.
Like a word, word combo, saying, character name etc. Reserve it.
Your totally wicked name just didn't pan out? Punch the horse's ticket before reaching the magic earnings number (retire,GP, release-repeat)
Use the Portuguese spelling.
Don't name all of your horses before you are ready to race them.
And, if the name is still not available, move on (again) because life presents enough hassles so let it go. jX
^ +1
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Jon Xett wrote: 1 year ago LOL! There are options that already exist without more changes.
Be sociable and just ask. The owner of the name can say yes or no.
Why is it so hard to grasp that some people just really don't want to be in a position where they're forced to ask someone?

I'm fine figuring out alternative names for horses, but if there's a name I'd really like to use but it's rotting away on an old gelding with a 0-0-0-0 $0 record, I just can't grasp a reason it shouldn't be automatically releasable.

Two questions for The Steward & Admin directly if they're paying attention to this thread. I don't want to keep beating a dead issue if it's just a non-starter.

1) Why have a Reserve A Name feature that costs game points if it's so easily exploitable and avoidable?
2) Tens of thousands of horses are being bred every year. Is it intended to have all those names completely locked up for nearly a real life decade?

Whether or not I get an answer here I'm done posting on this thread, don't think there's anything else I can really add or say. If it never changes I'll just reserve my names exclusively on pensioners from now on and save the 500GP.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Danny, some people don't have the funds to be reserving hundreds and hundreds of names...thus they do leave them on old pensioners.

People who paid for their horses' stud fees, boarding fees, named them, etc....still own the horses upon retirement, pensioning, and they shouldn't lose the right to keep the horses' names - yes this locks up thousands of names but there are still thousands and thousands of other names to be had.

I don't think Reserve a Name is being exploited, at all, due to people getting to keep the names of horses they put so much time and sim money and possibly even GPs into.

I think of Reserve A Name as an Addition...to being able to keep names that are more special. I've also, sometimes, reserved names when one one of my geldings died - but I really didn't have a horse to tag with the name.

I've also have on reserve a few names of special horses...that I probably will never use again.
Foremost is one of them.

She never earned enough on the track to have her name protected....so it's on reserve now....and probably always will be. She's my all time favorite horse in the Sim, and personally, I think her name would be sought out quite often...it's a good name for a race horse. Of course in doing this, my mare Foremost...is now listed as Foremost I -- but while I still play the game there is very little chance she'll ever see anymore Roman numerals after her name. : )

Also another source for good names besides asking for one, or searching through AJ.
I've claimed horses who's names I've wanted. I'll still race them as long as they earn money...but no longer in claiming races.
Then at some point after they retire, I release their name and put on a yearling or 2 year old.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

My name is, my name is....... Slim Shady
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Lol
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

[/quote]

Why is it so hard to grasp that some people just really don't want to be in a position where they're forced to ask someone?

[/quote]

Well I don't know, but it IS hard to grasp why someone finds it difficult to ask someone on the internet that they dont know and who doesnt know them,, a simple request.
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

To anyone in need of names I have over a thousand names that can be used in my pensioner barn. Just glance through them and if you see some you want just let me know and I will send you the horse so you can get the name without having me release the name and then you having to hope someone doesn't steal it. For those of you who do not know I name every foal as soon as I breed them. So every season I am sending tons of horses out to pasture. Being I mass cull at certain times of the year it would be to big a chore for me to release every name in my pasture. So browse away and take the names you want.

PS I breed over a thousand mares every season so that's a lot of names. :lol:
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Vicki Johnson
Miler

Post by Vicki Johnson »

and alot of halter breaking/brushing/stall cleaning.. alot of carrots...the list goes on..
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

PSA for the rest of the SIM: if there's something in my pensioner's barn that has a name you really want, just ask. I don't mind.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

In todays world we can not assume everyone’s level of anxiety. I have no problem reaching out to anyone but I don’t judge those that can not. Only people that don’t respond to you, I clearly state they are allow to tell me to kiss their ass and F off. It’s my favorite disclaimer.
;p
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Louise Bayou wrote: 1 year ago I remember when I saved .....Indian Jones. I spelleded gud.
HAhahaha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You made my Monday!!! Thank you
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I don’t see the problem with a button that releases a name for you. Say pete pensions a horse at 5. Pete gets 2 seasons to use that name or the option for Danny pops up to release and reuse that name. Use it or lose it.
;p