Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago
Laura Ferguson wrote: 1 year ago The average horse life span is 25 years, from what I just checked, so the current system isn't unreasonable.
Not saying that horses don’t live to 25, but it’s not guaranteed they will either. It’s the impossibility of it happening any earlier which I think is unreasonable.

Two other consideration for real life vs. the SIM since you brought it up.

1) In real life a racehorse’s name becomes available to use again after five years off the track. There’s no such mechanism in the SIM.
Not quite accurate.

Jockey Club Rule 6(E) is: Names of horses over 10 years old may be eligible for use if they are not excluded under Rule 6(F) and have not been used during the preceding five years either for breeding or racing. Names of horses that were never used for breeding or racing may be available for use five years from the date of their death as reported. So, the horse could be off the track for well over five years, but as long as it is active in the breeding shed, the name is still off limits.

Real life naming is a pain, to be honest. That becomes obvious when you go to Rule 6(F), which makes it clear that many of the names used in the SIM would never be approved by the Jockey Club. Also, keep in mind that in real life, you submit a list of six names, in order of preference, to the Jockey Club, and they decide which one, if any, of the six you get to use, or if you need to submit some more names.

You can also pay $100 to reserve a name, but that's only good for one year, or you have to pay another $100 to keep it reserved for another year.

Anyway, back to 6(F). Names not eligible for use are:
(1) Names consisting of more than 18 letters (spaces and punctuation marks count as letters)
(2) Names consisting entirely of initials, such as C.O.D., F.O.B., etc.
(3) Names ending in "filly," "colt," "stud" "mare," "stallion" or any similar horse-related terms
(4) Names consisting entirely of numbers. Numbers above thirty may be used if they are spelled out.
(5) Names ending with a numerical designation such as "2nd" or "3rd" whether or not such designation is spelled out.
(6) Names of living persons unless written permission to use their name is on file with the Jockey Club [side note - that's how the filly Chris Evert got her name; the owner complied with that process]
(7) Names of persons no longer living unless approval is granted by the Jockey Club based on a satisfactory written explanation submitted to the registrar.
(8) Names of racetracks or graded stakes races
(9) Names clearly having commercial, artistic or creative significance
(10) Names that are suggestive or have a vulgar or obscene meaning; names considered in poor taste; or names that may be offensive to religious, political or ethnic group [that said, there are plenty of examples of horse names that got through this requirement]
(11) Names that appear to be designed to harass, humiliate, or disparage a specific individual, group of individuals, or entity
(12) Names that are currently active in either racing or breeding (see Rule 6(E))
(13) Names of winners in the past 25 years of grade 1 stakes races
(14) Permanent Names. The list of criteria to establish a permanent name is as follows: Horses in racing's Hall of Fame, horses that have been voted Horse of the Year, won an Eclipse Award or Sovereign Award, Annual leading sire and broodmare sire by progeny earnings, cumulative money winners of $2 million or more, horses that have won the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont, the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Breeders' Cup Classic or the Breeders' Cup Turf, and horses included in the International List of Protected Names.
(15) Names similar in spelling or pronunciation to the names listed in (6)-(14) above. [So you couldn't have Satelite and Satellite, or Ruffian and Roughian]
(16) Names of horses previously recorded in the American Stud Book by the same sire or out of the same dame as the foal for which the attempt is made; and
(17) Names of horses appearing within the first five generations of the pedigree of the foal for which the attempt was made.

Anyway, a lot more rules and restrictions on the names. The Jockey Club usually posts a list of recently released names to try to make things somewhat easier, but overall, SIM naming is a walk in the park compared to real life.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Yes I'm familiar with the full set of Jockey Club rules. I think the spirit of the point I was trying to convey didn't need me to post them in their entirety.

Emily is just a single person, and the SIM has more foals born in a year than real foals registered with the Jockey Club. Pointing out that there's a mechanism built in to free up names of retired horses doesn't mean it would be realistic or achievable to copy all of their rules verbatim.

As an aside, (and I could be way off on this from a legal standpoint), but Rule 6(F) sections 6 and 9 seem as if they'd be prudent additions for a game owner wishing to avoid potential liability or rights issues.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Kind of on a side track here...but in regards to names.

It's been a while so some details are a little fuzzy.

I think it was about 20 years ago. In Australia. Someone named their filly, Citation.
The USA Jockey Club sent a letter to those that govern the names of racing Thoroughbreds and told them that Citation was a protected name as he had won the USA Triple Crown. So, the owners were told they had to rename their filly.

They changed her name to... Recitation. : )

I thought it was clever, they managed to still keep citation in the name.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Stormy Peak wrote: 1 year ago Kind of on a side track here...but in regards to names.

It's been a while so some details are a little fuzzy.

I think it was about 20 years ago. In Australia. Someone named their filly, Citation.
The USA Jockey Club sent a letter to those that govern the names of racing Thoroughbreds and told them that Citation was a protected name as he had won the USA Triple Crown. So, the owners were told they had to rename their filly.

They changed her name to... Recitation. : )

I thought it was clever, they managed to still keep citation in the name.

Stormy
A breeder I worked for had to change South China Sea to South China Season but not until AFTER the JC approved the first name, they had all their brass done, and the the JC changed its mind. Pain.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

There are many examples in British racing of two horses having the same name with different suffixes to show they were bred in different countries. Mostly either USA or IRE.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1386747

I’m glad I learned about this work around…saving on Game Points already
This guy gets it.
I will continue to use GPs for my rare Reserved Names out of convenience.
Will players continue to use this non-GP workaround? Yes, some will but many will turnaround and use their valuable GPs on more value added items like equipment pieces, bloodstock agents or a special headshot. jX
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Jon Xett wrote: 1 year ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 1 year ago https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1386747

I’m glad I learned about this work around…saving on Game Points already
This guy gets it.
I will continue to use GPs for my rare Reserved Names out of convenience.
Will players continue to use this non-GP workaround? Yes, some will but many will turnaround and use their valuable GPs on more value added items like equipment pieces, bloodstock agents or a special headshot. jX
Exactly, that’s what I’m saying. Use your GP on more value add items since you can essentially reserve names without spending GP via naming your pensioners.

Mr Lord Derby wrote a nice article about it here https://www.simhorseracing.com/feature ... leID=19010

I’ve already renamed 20 or so pensioners rather than spend GP or wait and hope no one uses it before me.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Xactly! So, I have reserved all the "X" words in Webster's dictionary for my future use. Y'all gonna hafta choose another letter of the alphabet. Ha. All in fun, truly, j"X"
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Jon Xett wrote: 1 year ago Xactly! So, I have reserved all the "X" words in Webster's dictionary for my future use. Y'all gonna hafta choose another letter of the alphabet. Ha. All in fun, truly, j"X"
Xcellent
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Putting pressure on the Steward!! Effective
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Anthony Zappulla wrote: 1 year ago Yea can't take that away from Rochelle
I don't want to take it away from Rochelle. I think it's great and I send her many young horses that won't/don't cut it on the track.

It would just be nice to have an opt-in system to get some of those names back. Either by shortening the lifespan of horses who won't race again and won't be bred, or by releasing their names while they're "alive" and chilling in a field somewhere.

The key words in my thought being opt-in. I wouldn't want to be murdering Stormy's pensioners to poach names off her. That's awful!
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100