Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Some people get pensioners with already cool names given to them on a daily basis. Then when someone asks for that * the answer is no, or ignored. Praise the good people out there
;p
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago Some people get pensioners with already cool names given to them on a daily basis. Then when someone asks for that * the answer is no, or ignored. Praise the good people out there
They are saying no, or ignoring, probably because they want to keep the name for another one of their horses.

Still, I think it's kind of rude to ignore someone. But not in saying 'no' to a request. I've let go of plenty of names upon request, but also sad "no" to a few because the name on the pensioner was one I was going to reuse at some point in time.

If I could, upon pensioning a horse, be able to select if the name could be taken or not, I would be willing to do that.
But I don't like idea of killing off my horses early for the sake of someone getting a name...that I might have even been willing to release if they just asked for it.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Mary Whalen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mary Whalen »

Probably not the popular idea but if the issue is pensioned names sitting for such a long time why not remove the loop hole of that’s how you can save names. Make it when a horse is pensioned they automatically release the name and as the owner you have to choose to reserve it with game points or run the risk of someone using it before you do.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Can we just have duplicate names? I know we Italians like to use the same names over and over again.

In my immediate family alone I can’t even count with two hands the number of Anthony Tarantinos there are 😂

Ps…yes I understand why this would be a very bad idea for horse pedigree
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Mr. Lord Rich wrote: 1 year ago Can we just have duplicate names? I know we Italians like to use the same names over and over again.

In my immediate family alone I can’t even count with two hands the number of Anthony Tarantinos there are 😂

Lol
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago Not trying to sound cold hearted here, but is there any reason that once a horse is retired and pensioned it needs to live past 15? It would go a long way in freeing up names and reducing overall barn clutter if a retired and pensioned animal without a stakes win to its credit could kick the bucket well before they turn 20.
What about:
1. Increasing the earnings threshold where a horse name is reserved from ~S$180k to S€750k
2. Decreasing the retired/pensioned age for horses/geldings earning less than S$750k bucket kick age from ~20 years old to 15.
3. Keeping the retired mare safe from bucket kicking if star or hen as is, but decreasing the random croak age by 3 years for all other mare designations. One could still pay to save the mare.
4. Add an email alert to the owner that they have 72 hours to reserve or recycle/use the soon to kick the bucket horse name. Of course there will have to be an "el morte' kill button" that Ara has wanted since year 11.
Easy Peasy!
Oh and 5. Make Simperior mandatory to play.
-> relax, ima jest kidding <- jX
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Jon, 3. feels a little unfair. Some of my best mares have been formidables, would be sucky if they were more likely to randomly die younger because Anna Liza Doolittle is bad at her job.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Carole Hanson wrote: 1 year ago Jon, 3. feels a little unfair. Some of my best mares have been formidables, would be sucky if they were more likely to randomly die younger because Anna Liza Doolittle is bad at her job.
Carole, I agree. I've had formidibles finally give up a nicely galloped horse in her last year usually on a lease or after a sale to another player.
The whole idea presented would create a nightmare for the admin. I should have clarified that 1-5 is actually j/k in reality. jX
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Mary Whalen wrote: 1 year ago Probably not the popular idea but if the issue is pensioned names sitting for such a long time why not remove the loop hole of that’s how you can save names. Make it when a horse is pensioned they automatically release the name and as the owner you have to choose to reserve it with game points or run the risk of someone using it before you do.
Seems like the easiest and simple solution, +1
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

What about:
1. Increasing the earnings threshold where a horse name is reserved from ~S$180k to S€750k
I wouldn't mind this if it was only for horses who retired after it went into place, since I have nickel and dimed a few horses to 150K so their name could be 'safe'.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Mr. Lord Rich wrote: 1 year ago Can we just have duplicate names? I know we Italians like to use the same names over and over again.

Pete III sired by Pete II sired by Pete I sired by Pete the Original
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Mary Whalen wrote: 1 year ago Probably not the popular idea but if the issue is pensioned names sitting for such a long time why not remove the loop hole of that’s how you can save names. Make it when a horse is pensioned they automatically release the name and as the owner you have to choose to reserve it with game points or run the risk of someone using it before you do.
Mary... not Everyone Is that Rich...so that rule would only favor those who can afford it. Also...We are Still the owners of the horses...and Nothing should be taken away from that...especially the names of horses still alive and Owned by others.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Stormy Peak wrote: 1 year ago
Mary... no Everyone Is that Rich...so that rule would only favor those who can afford it. Also...We are Still the owners of the horses...and Nothing should be taken away from that...especially the names of horses still alive and Owned by others.

Stormy
Actually the game owns all horses and their names.

Keep in mind that my suggestion is NOT what Mary suggested, however just because not everyone can afford it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen. Reserving names is a luxury, in no way is it a gameplay advantage at all. I’d argue it’s far more fair to people who can’t afford it than things like SIMperior and Equip Checks.

Once again I want to reiterate, my ONLY suggestion on this thread is that pensioned horses can be hit by random deaths at 15 years old. That’s all. As much as I agree with ideas that take it farther, it’s not what I’ve ever proposed here.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Danny, I understand you only suggested lowering the age of when a pensioner dies. But I happen to like my horses, and don't want to see them kicking off at 1/2 the age they could live to be.

I often like the names I have on all those pensioners and the Name Goes With the horse! And I have a difficult time in getting GPs.
I don't have a lot of real money to buy them, and it's super expensive to use Sim money to do so, which really cuts back my chances of using my Sim money to send mares to higher ends stallions...etc.

It's not right for people to suggest that they should be allowed to just go into a barn and steal the name off of a live horse that is under someone else's ownership.

There are PLENTY of names out there. And there's absolutely no reason for any changes as far as killing off horses early or being allowed to take the names off of other people's LIVE horses!

I made two suggestions.

One to help owners have a chance to keep names they kind of want to keep when a horse dies. Let the owner have 48 hours to open a PM notice and have the chance save a name before it's released and allowing others a chance to claim the name.

The 2nd one...is that when a horse is pensioned...
A pop up shows up and states something like "Will you allow this horse's name to be released while it's still alive?"
That gives people permission to take the name if you don't want to use it again. Your horse doesn't have to die young, and there are no bitter feelings about people just rummaging through your barn taking names that you, the owner, Might still have plans for. The owner Paid for their horses, and that includes the name, along with headshots, equipment checks, etc...and it's part of that horse and should not be allowed to just be lifted without the owner's consent, just because the horse is pensioned.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

“ my ONLY suggestion on this thread is that pensioned horses can be hit by random deaths at 15 years old. That’s all. As much as I agree with ideas that take it farther, it’s not what I’ve ever proposed here”
While I realize SIM is not a democracy, I would not like to see the above proposed change take place. Too soon. jX