Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Pete’s too damn scary to be bugging about 1 little name out of his tens of thousands of pensioners he’s hoarding; or Pete blocked his ass because one time pete bullied him in the forums.
;p
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

WTH, you starting rumors chillin?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Chillin chillin bro
;p
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Stormy Peak wrote: 1 year ago

I have done searches for names that I liked and found out I already owned the horse...still alive in my pensioner barn. :oops:
Not everyone has a snap trap memory for things like that...until reminded about it when the horse dies and you get an notification.

Stormy
I cannot keep track of how many times that has happened to me!

And I am an unapologetic name hoarder; I am guilty of poaching a name that comes up on the news feed (and have had names poached from me). I go through dispersal sales looking for good names (which is how I ended up with several blue hen standardbred mares). I'm trying to get in the habit of going through my 25+yo pensioners and releasing/saving the names I like.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I tend to hurry up and stick names I like on unnamed 3yos, 2yos or yearlings if I know they are close to death age lol
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

One thing I have learned reading this tread (and it's not the first time I've learned this), I am an idiot.

I've paid 18,500 in game points reserving 37 names since I've started playing and I've never realized I could have just named a pensioner (of which I have many) - wish I knew this prior to reserving these names - who do I speak to about a refund?
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Durzo Blint wrote: 1 year ago One thing I have learned reading this tread (and it's not the first time I've learned this), I am an idiot.

I've paid 18,500 in game points reserving 37 names since I've started playing and I've never realized I could have just named a pensioner (of which I have many) - wish I knew this prior to reserving these names - who do I speak to about a refund?

You can't rename a pensioner...once a horse races, it's name can't be changed. I've always raced my horses, so I don't know if an unraced pensioner can be renamed. ???

But, if you have a pensioner, who's name you wish to reuse...and it's hasn't won over ? *I think* it's $150,000.
Then you can release the name and put it on one of your un-raced horses. The pensioner will still have the name, but with a Roman numeral after it, and that number depends upon how many times that name has been used on a horse in the Sim history.

You can also re-name an unraced horse...but it costs $5,000 to do this.
So say you had a yearling named Fred, and you found a pensioner whose name can be released by the name of Right Said Fred (that might ring the bell of some older Simsters....lol)
You can release the name of Right Said Fred, then go to Fred's page and for $5,000 change Fred's name to Right Said Fred.

Of course, if your un-raced horse has never been named, then you can name it Right Said Fred, for free.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Very interesting for sure. The lords make some good points but the other responders make many valid points against the proposal. I looked at the few pensioners (53) I have and have determined that in all likely hood, I don't possess the names that are coveted. In any case, I have gone through the old, nay, ancient fake horses in my pasture bucket and whittled them down by either using the name again on yearlings or sent them to greener pastures. I do know from the long history of SIM that naming horses is one of the most passionate and pleasurable aspects of the game. Play on. jX
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

I do like naming horses, but I have no special names that are special. If they are champions then they will get the GP after retirement
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Since this thread has been turned sideways and upside down, just reiterating that my proposal had nothing to do with changing the system of how names are released or letting people take names from living horses someone else owns.

The actual proposal on this thread was that pensioners should be should be able to start dying at 15 instead of in their mid-20s.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

So we can poach them and hoard them sooner
;p
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

“ It would go a long way in freeing up names and reducing overall barn clutter…. “
Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago So we can poach them and hoard them sooner
😂 spot on
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I’m not against Danny’s proposal. I am making fun of people that dont see how they’re exploiting the reservation system. I’m also not against the work around. I too name pensioners to save names. Just playing the game like everyone else. Just chillin
;p
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago I’m not against Danny’s proposal. I am making fun of people that dont see how they’re exploiting the reservation system. I’m also not against the work around. I too name pensioners to save names. Just playing the game like everyone else. Just chillin
If the pensioner already has a name and has raced, you can't name it again...so then you are just hoarding the name.

It might be that un-named pensioners can be named...but as I mentioned before, I race all my horses, so I've never encountered needing to name a pensioner for any reason.

I have mixed feelings about pensioners dying young. Often stallions, are pensioned at age 14...I would hate to see one of mine finally pensioned then have him die the following year.
Ditto with some of my mares I've paid $20,000 to save when they were at risk of foaling. While alive they still have all their notes....but once dead, the notes are deleted. I've tried to put mare information into their foals' notes...but sometimes, I don't get it done.

And too, some of my pensioners have other jobs. I've turned horses I've really liked into stable ponies...shipped them off to an often used barn on another continent, and use them upon occasion to exercise current runners. I don't want to see them, die off at a younger age, either...then have to pay more money to send another pensioner on a 13 to 35 hour trip to replace the dead 15 year old.

Mostly, though, I think I'm just more sentimental about my fake horses :P
Perhaps there could be a way for owners, upon pensioning a horse to allow others to go in and release a name off of one of their pensioners.

Like say, upon pensioning the horse, the owner will see an option button and they can check mark Yes or No to the question...'Can this horse's name be auto released by another player?'

That way, no one has to contact anyone over a name, and the owner of the horse can decide if they don't care if the name is taken at some point. No one has to lose their horse at age 15, and more names could be up for grabs. Of course, it won't do anything for those already pensioned but in time, it would free up more names for those who feel like this is an issue.

Stormy

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Stormy Peak wrote: 1 year ago
Like say, upon pensioning the horse, the owner will see an option button and they can check mark Yes or No to the question...'Can this horse's name be auto released by another player?'

That way, no one has to contact anyone over a name, and the owner of the horse can decide if they don't care if the name is taken at some point. No one has to lose their horse at age 15, and more names could be up for grabs. Of course, it won't do anything for those already pensioned but in time, it would free up more names for those who feel like this is an issue.
Once again, this isn't a thread about revamping the "Release Horse Name" system for pensioners or not.

It's a suggestion that pensioned horses be able to die at a wider range of ages than they currently do.

Stormy - You've currently got 1,340 pensioners in your barn. At a glance, about 1/2 of them are older than 15. Would it truly impact your gameplay experience that much if some of them died younger? I'm not even suggesting they automatically die at 15, just that they can hit by the random death starting at that age versus whatever age in the 20s it is now.