Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Post by Danny Derby »

Not trying to sound cold hearted here, but is there any reason that once a horse is retired and pensioned it needs to live past 15? It would go a long way in freeing up names and reducing overall barn clutter if a retired and pensioned animal without a stakes win to its credit could kick the bucket well before they turn 20.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Horses should kick the bucket at a younger age

Post by Gwen Morse »

I've been thinking the same thing. To allow people to keep their favorites that they're fond of, there could be some sort of toggle or checkbox to opt-in to a longer life.

Rochelle offers a great service with the pensioner program, so people can cull unwanted younger horses without paying AJ, but it has the somewhat unintended consequence of locking up names for a long time.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Yea can't take that away from Rochelle
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

You do realize you can retire/pension/send to greener pastures any of your horses if you are worried about clutter. And retired, pensioned horses names can be released with the click of a button as long their name can be reused, you don't have to wait for them to kick the bucket. I kind of like my pensioners and they keep earning money for me at horse shows.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 1 year ago And retired, pensioned horses names can be released with the click of a button as long their name can be reused, you don't have to wait for them to kick the bucket.
Only if they're owned by AJ. If it's player owned you have to wait for them to actually die, which is a big part of the reason I really think these horses need to die sooner.
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 1 year ago You do realize you can retire/pension/send to greener pastures any of your horses if you are worried about clutter. And retired, pensioned horses names can be released with the click of a button as long their name can be reused, you don't have to wait for them to kick the bucket. I kind of like my pensioners and they keep earning money for me at horse shows.
Same.

Unless it's a name I'm attached to I don't mind changing a name if someone really must have a name my horse has, but I like my pensioners too.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Nicole Marie wrote: 1 year ago
Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 1 year ago You do realize you can retire/pension/send to greener pastures any of your horses if you are worried about clutter. And retired, pensioned horses names can be released with the click of a button as long their name can be reused, you don't have to wait for them to kick the bucket. I kind of like my pensioners and they keep earning money for me at horse shows.
Same.

Unless it's a name I'm attached to I don't mind changing a name if someone really must have a name my horse has, but I like my pensioners too.
Pointing out that I'm not suggesting that pensioners be taken away, or that they all need to die the second they turn 15, just that it becomes possible for them to die of natural causes at that age (Or heck, even younger. They're pensioned after all, which means they're not racing or breeding anymore.)
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Mr. Lord Derby wrote: 1 year ago
Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 1 year ago And retired, pensioned horses names can be released with the click of a button as long their name can be reused, you don't have to wait for them to kick the bucket.
Only if they're owned by AJ. If it's player owned you have to wait for them to actually die, which is a big part of the reason I really think these horses need to die sooner.
You can ask the owner (which I have done a few times). If you own the horse you can release the name (obviously). I love it when my unnamed 20 yo mare makes $7500 in a horse show.https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=709396
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 1 year ago
You can ask the owner (which I have done a few times). If you own the horse you can release the name (obviously). I love it when my unnamed 20 yo mare makes $7500 in a horse show.https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=709396
Random unnamed 20 year old horses winning $7500 once a decade shouldn't be a blocker for freeing up names for the entier playerbase 10-15 years sooner.
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 1 year ago
With simflation and everything, there is no reason people should be randomly getting $7500 either. That should also go away.
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Maybe when you click the button to pension a horse, you should be given the option to pay GP to keep the “release this name for reuse” button off the horse’s page. Otherwise it defaults to allowing names to be released immediately on pensioning.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Cleo Patra wrote: 1 year ago Maybe when you click the button to pension a horse, you should be given the option to pay GP to keep the “release this name for reuse” button off the horse’s page. Otherwise it defaults to allowing names to be released immediately on pensioning.
Ever the voice of reason. Good suggestion!
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Cleo Patra wrote: 1 year ago Maybe when you click the button to pension a horse, you should be given the option to pay GP to keep the “release this name for reuse” button off the horse’s page. Otherwise it defaults to allowing names to be released immediately on pensioning.
If you own the horse it should be a free option, your horse, your name if you want to reuse it. I don't mind the idea of having names being able to be released, but the player should have a free option to not allow other players to take their (still living) horse's name
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I love my pensioners too. However, many of them do have names I Want to reuse.

I really wish that when one dies, that there is a 48 hour lock on the name release, so the owner of the horse has time to read the email that the horse passed away, and be given the chance to keep the name...pay GPs to reserve if, or tag another horse with the name.

I had a stakes mare, die and I came in 20 minutes after the email had landed in my box and someone else took the name. I was lucky enough that when I wrote to the person and ask for it back, they returned the name for my use. If I recall correctly, I gave them a free lease on one of my nicer mares.

But yeah, it would have been nice to have had the chance to save that name without that bit of panic that I might not get it back. The mare was just one of those, that pensioned, and I thought she was 'safe' as far as her name being reused, but she hadn't quite hit the 'safe' earnings mark for that. Stake horses that die are listed in the news...so that was why her name was grabbed so fast.

Also, I don't think finding good names is that hard...what is a good name to someone isn't all that special to others and cruising through AJ for dead horses often comes up with nice names. But I still think that it would be nice to, as I said, have some kind of delay on a name release when a person's horse dies and you might want to reuse that name again

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

I haven't done it yet but isn't there something that releases the horse name for reuse? I thought I seen that? Not sure how it works tho
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll: