What To Do Next? (2 yo DR)

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

What To Do Next? (2 yo DR)

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Please bear with me, i've never owned a colt of this caliber before. He just won a Graded Stakes tonight and I feel so much pressure.

Horse In Question
Versatile (DM/DR) | Freak Peak
I'm conflicted about what to do with the rest of this horse's season.

>The Steward's Cup Juvenile is pretty tempting. He's a half brother to a Juvenile winner, and I think he's bred perfectly for it distance-wise.

>It's also worth noting: The Derby has been my goal with this horse since Day One. His Derby winning brother Best Revenge is by Dave Matthews Band, and this colt is by a DMB son. It's definitely in his blood. I've never had a Derby horse before and I would LOVE to have him in that starting gate with a legit chance!

Just a handful of schedule ideas I have are:
Barrier Trial Week 13 Day 7, then SC Juvenile Week 16 Day 4. Then a Derby prep Y63 Week 3 Day 5

Race Week 13 Day 5, then SC Juvenile Week 16 Day 4. Then Derby Prep Y63 week 3 Day 5

Barrier Trial Week 13 Day 7, then a Week 15 Day 5 Stakes (Inglewood Futurity, Louisiana Jackpot, Ect). Then Derby preps Y63 Weeks 1D5 and 3D5

Run Week 13 Day 5, Week 15 Day 5. Then Derby Preps Y63 Week 1 Day 5 and Week 3 Day 5. (I don't love this schedule because it seems pretty heavy, but I do use First Class Shipping, he has a Goat, and he's sound)

Any Input?
โคœ ๐ด๐‘ง๐‘ข๐‘™ ๐ธ๐‘ž๐‘ข๐‘–๐‘›๐‘’ โค›
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
โœพ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: What To Do Next? (2 yo DR)

Post by Danny Derby »

Why would you even be considering Barrier Trials at this point for him if you think he's that special? Frankly speaking a W11 stakes win with an 88SF for a 2YO Dirt Router isn't the kind of thing that would have me champing at the bit to run in the Juvenile, regardless of pedigree and workout times. Run him in a stakes W13 D5, W14 D1 or W14 D5. If you're satisfied with that result, then on to the Juvenile. If you're not, skip the Juvenile and make him earn a Derby spot from there.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Mr. Lord Derby wrote: โ†‘1 year ago Why would you even be considering Barrier Trials at this point for him if you think he's that special? Frankly speaking a W11 stakes win with an 88SF for a 2YO Dirt Router isn't the kind of thing that would have me champing at the bit to run in the Juvenile, regardless of pedigree and workout times. Run him in a stakes W13 D5, W14 D1 or W14 D5. If you're satisfied with that result, then on to the Juvenile. If you're not, skip the Juvenile and make him earn a Derby spot from there.
Valid points, and good advice. Thank you!
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Pro tip: check out the 10 years of recent winners and pick your favourite schedule from them

Nice colt. Good luck!
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Just donโ€™t run him in anything off short rest and donโ€™t go too crazy with preps off 2 weeks breaks. Your prep schedule shouldnโ€™t dramatically affect his chances in the Derby; if he has a legit chance, heโ€™ll take you there, no matter where you choose to run.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Ms. Lady Claimer wrote: โ†‘1 year ago Race Week 13 Day 5, then SC Juvenile Week 16 Day 4. Then Derby Prep Y63 week 3 Day 5
I would do this one (at least in terms of race placement, idk about the Juvenile but if he wins his next one too then I'd probably give it a go); he won his most recent race so he doesn't need a barrier trial next since his confidence should be fine.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Thanks guys <3
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000