should i nom?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

should he be nominated to TC?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 24

Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

should i nom?

Post by Ren Marston »

should i nominate Bohannon https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1528230 to the Triple crown? he was a stakes late bloomer in all his workouts and starts, and did 5 furlongs at 57.01. He has since bloomed into a freak and hasn't gotten a workout or a race. Should I nominate him for the triple crown?
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $15,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Finch Hatton - TR - $30,000
PROVEN FREAK PRODUCING A+ HYPOING STUD
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: should i nom?

Post by Stormy Peak »

He's a freak, and might like the longer distances. And, if after the Derby, you think you did the wrong thing, you've only lost out on 1 race for the season...you can always go and find him other races that might not be so tough.

My way of looking at it, is no guts, no glory....and I throw my stakes and freaks into the deep end all the time, and sometimes, good things happen. Last year, for me, it was Wolfman Jack...I thought there were at least 2 horses better than him in the SC race, but he won. : )

I'm not sure how many horses are ahead of yours for points...but perhaps he can earn some more before the Derby
If you don't have the funds for the nomination...contact me : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

It doesn't hurt to nominate. If you don't think he's ready when the Derby shows up just don't send him. If you think he has any chance at all, nominate.

When I was new-ish I think I nominated a lot of my dirt router colts. Did they ever make it to any of the Triple Crown races? Nope, no, nada, never. No harm in nominating and not sending if that's what happens.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

Can’t win it if your not in it and congrats on a Best Revenge freak
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Can you afford to loose the $50k nomination? If money is not a concern, you have nothing to loose.
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

You should insure him either way! I’d say if the money isn’t an issue nominate since you’re not hurting him by nominating but if you don’t I think he could do quite well in some of the other races while everyone else is on the TCT.
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

(pssst... Insure him ❤️)
I'd nominate if he were mine. If peaking drastically improves the way he runs and he wins preps, you'll wanna be in that gate Week 6. Worst case you're out $50k.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

I don't think you should. He's 0-for-3 and from a female family that doesn't really inspire me to think that he's going to suddenly turn into a world beater. If you nominate him and he breaks his maiden however modestly, you'll end up rushing him on to the TCT and getting him beat for the first 9 weeks of the year in hopeless races. If you don't nominate him (and assuming he breaks his maiden), you can realistically aim for a few modest stakes with him that could actually be winnable. Not nominating just removes the temptation to mismanage him.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I'm with "His Lordship" above. He may have turned freak, but he hasn't matured. Putting him in stakes after stakes as a maiden is not helping him, either. He needs to break his maiden, get some confidence, get a win or two under his belt then take on bigger races.

I know its exciting when you get a freak, but not all freaks are freaky freaks - especially in the DR division.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Carolyn Eaton wrote: 1 year ago Putting him in stakes after stakes as a maiden is not helping him, either. He needs to break his maiden, get some confidence, get a win or two under his belt then take on bigger races.
Agreed.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

You could always nom with the plan to skip the Derby and target the LI Classic. Get a maiden win W2D5, a stakes win W4D5 or W5D5, then Baltimore (or another random stakes W7D5) and New York.

There's a fair amount of stamina down the damline so, while the sire might shorten him up, he may still appreciate the extra time and distance of the Classic.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Carolyn Eaton wrote: 1 year ago I know its exciting when you get a freak, but not all freaks are freaky freaks - especially in the DR division.
Just bouncing off this to say I've never had a DR freak improver run like a "real freak" unless they were already extremely high performing as a stakes gallop - Rewrite the Stars is a good example of this. It doesn't hurt to nominate him, but I can't see him making an impact in the Triple Crown races. He can probably pick up some nice checks on the TCT though!
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Michael Looker wrote: 1 year ago You could always nom with the plan to skip the Derby and target the LI Classic. Get a maiden win W2D5, a stakes win W4D5 or W5D5, then Baltimore (or another random stakes W7D5) and New York.

There's a fair amount of stamina down the damline so, while the sire might shorten him up, he may still appreciate the extra time and distance of the Classic.
If it helps, this is what I was going to say
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

Carolyn Eaton wrote: 1 year ago I'm with "His Lordship" above. He may have turned freak, but he hasn't matured. Putting him in stakes after stakes as a maiden is not helping him, either. He needs to break his maiden, get some confidence, get a win or two under his belt then take on bigger races.

I know its exciting when you get a freak, but not all freaks are freaky freaks - especially in the DR division.
When I campaigned him it wasn't as though I was just throwing him in stakes hoping for something to happen; I ran him very purposefully. I decided to debut in a stakes because the field was unfilled and he had decent works. Running a stakes in a four field listed stakes race wasn't all that ambitious. While his next start was a step up without a win, I don't think he ran all that poorly there; he held second before falling behind and all with a poor start. That inspired me to give him one more shot in a stakes for the end of the season where again, he really didn't run terribly. He ran in first all the way up until the last call when he was overtaken. If he hadn't bloomed, I'd likely give him a much easier season starting w a 3yo maiden or maybe an allowance or something like that. His campaigning could have been more careful, but I don't think it was completely tactless

Hopefully I get to see a prosperous career from him yet

Studs
Astro - DR - $15,000
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
Michael Looker wrote: 1 year ago You could always nom with the plan to skip the Derby and target the LI Classic. Get a maiden win W2D5, a stakes win W4D5 or W5D5, then Baltimore (or another random stakes W7D5) and New York.

If it helps, this is what I was going to say
i like this

Studs
Astro - DR - $15,000