TO Geld or Not Geld Allowance or Stakes Longer Career Comment

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

TO Geld or Not Geld Allowance or Stakes Longer Career Comment

Post by Tammy Fox »

If I understand correctly when a horse gets a longer career comment that means they will actually be better on the track than in the breeding shed. So I am wondering if you have a Stakes - Peak Longer Career would you geld him or keep him whole if they are still struggling in allowance races. The gallop comment is recent so its not like he hasn't been galloped since last sim year. When looking at his upper eighties to low nineties speed rating I just wonder if I would be better off gelding him and letting him race without worrying about getting him to the breeding shed.

I also have a 6yo male that is still a stakes peak but he hasn't reached the magical 350K marker and needs 100K more plus I also just got the longer career comment on him. Would I be better off gelding him as well since he is really struggling to get to that $350K so he can retire and see how well he produces.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: TO Geld or Not Geld Allowance or Stakes Longer Career Comment

Post by Carole Hanson »

If they are not running that great, and especially if their pedigree is just ok at best, it's probably worth gelding although bare in mind the boost you get from gelding is minimal and not very noticeable at all.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

prob best in another forum section, but since this is brought up here front and center, this is to the powers that be : it would be great if the random slide was attached to the geld button so that some horses get some phenomenal boost from the gelding while others remain so-so. Wouldn't that be neat ??? ! (!)
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

LA Pepper wrote: 1 year ago prob best in another forum section, but since this is brought up here front and center, this is to the powers that be : it would be great if the random slide was attached to the geld button so that some horses get some phenomenal boost from the gelding while others remain so-so. Wouldn't that be neat ??? ! (!)
I love this idea!
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

LA Pepper wrote: 1 year ago prob best in another forum section, but since this is brought up here front and center, this is to the powers that be : it would be great if the random slide was attached to the geld button so that some horses get some phenomenal boost from the gelding while others remain so-so. Wouldn't that be neat ??? ! (!)
I third this idea, especially since it’s a thing in RL
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

I had a few runners that unexpectedly bloomed out and could have been great stallions if they hadn't been gelded too early (this happened to anyone else?)
I rarely geld my horses until after their enitre racing career, even allowances.
I have never had an improvement in gallopcomment after gelding so I guess the improvement in racing isnt that big.

My advice: Don't geld.
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Well I have gone scissor-happy with a couple of my 2yo winners. Both longer career.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1555316

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1599387

It just didn't seem like their figs or workouts or female families were screaming "I'm a super-stud" and the comment pushed it over the line for me. Now, let's see if they get much of a boost.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Where’s the Jackie Chan meme where he’s like confused
;p
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago Where’s the Jackie Chan meme where he’s like confused
Ha! Why have we left you confused? We can't have that. They looked sorta "meh" or just ok compared to the other 2yo. The Stewie was the harder one, but his dam's best foal is a stallion I already own and that the community isn't wild about. The rest of her babies are so-so. Elvin's dam has produced 2 each of claimer, solid, and productive before getting him. If they can run better at all with the snip then it is a bit of a bird-in-the-hand. Not that many stallions go on to be successful, and I just didn't see much that would make people excited about breeding to either of these guys.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Yeah, I’m cool with you do you however you want to play the game. After last season and that before when every nonpedigree stud retired with 1mil> earnings, I’m like never again. Gelding doesn’t give enough umph for me to get excited about winning a gwc race every year until it’s 9.

These guys just look like they have the potential to do something else that you need balls for.
;p
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

For my boys - if they are at the end of their 4yo year and struggling to get to 250K - I'll snip and aim toward gelding races; Most of the allowances I leave alone since they're not good enough for stakes and not going to go to the shed;

Not so freaky-freak D'jinn has been on the fence for me, but I'm sure I can get him to the 350K mark by the end of his 6yo year.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I have no read on the “boost” because I’ve never paid attention to the before and after. So I’m curious. Doing it this early means I wouldn’t know what was gelding and what might be a first or second race improvement, but it lets me see if they have anything in the tank worth getting amped about for w16 this year and makes them less likely to be claimed if I go that route with either of them next year. Dunno, just experimenting.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

My view is look at the pedigree and especially the damline record and ask yourself "If this horse earned exactly $350k, would I use them as a stud?" If the answer is "no" then geld them. There's no reason not to. A tiny boost is better than no boost at all.

Once they reach 350k, earnings have no effect on their breeding potential. A horse who wins 5+ million isn't any more likely to be a good stud than a horse that earns 350k because the race and breeding numbers are different. On overage more horses who 5+ million have better pedigrees than horses who earn around 350k, but that goes back to looking at the pedigrees. The point is that they're not earning millions because of their breeding points so race performance doesn't correlate to breeding performance in a one-to-one comparison. A meh runner "could be" the next DMB.

It's my understanding that that's the whole point of these extra hints - to 'save' some horses who would otherwise be passed over because of the limited information we can see.

You're going to have allowance gallops who get breeding shed comments. Keep them whole to give them their chance. I say pull out the knife for the borderline longer careers.

Now I'm off to keep trying to turn my 350k earning B+-nicking home stud into the next Man o'War of the stallion shed ;).
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Been pitching this for years!
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.