Wrong barrier trial?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Wrong barrier trial?

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Has anyone accidentally given a horse a BT over the wrong distance and, if so, did you notice any impact on the horse?

I was a total bonehead and gave my SB sprinter a 5f BT because I entered her in the middle of entering a bunch of routers as well. She finished last in the BT, of course, but then came back and ran a "meh" race. I'm guessing just coincidence, but wondering if anyone else made the same mistake and would be curious how your horse ran afterwards.

Here is the link for reference [https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1538228][/url]. I was just sick when I realized what I had done, and of course it had to be the Steward's horse. Freaking middle-age brain fart.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Wrong barrier trial?

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I’ve run wrong distance just for fun. It’s not supposed to hurt anything, its purpose is even to try routers at mile and ect. Just running in the race is supposed to give your horse confidence.

Looking at its latest race it looks like you got into a speed duel in front and she faded off to make way for the closers. It’s really tough winning races at 3 with sprinters. 2yo is so easy and deceiving then that next season hits and it’s like *.
;p
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 1 year ago I’ve run wrong distance just for fun. It’s not supposed to hurt anything, its purpose is even to try routers at mile and ect. Just running in the race is supposed to give your horse confidence.

Looking at its latest race it looks like you got into a speed duel in front and she faded off to make way for the closers. It’s really tough winning races at 3 with sprinters. 2yo is so easy and deceiving then that next season hits and it’s like *.
Thank you.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The main goal of the barrier trial is experience and confidence. The distance you choose does not have any adverse affects on your horses future performance besides tiredness which is the same you would get when you complete a normal workout at said distance.

In regards to your horse, it could just be the case of a bad race or not the right pace. The race prior to the BT your horse finished 4th behind three other horses averaging 40k in earnings. Could just be a couple bad races in a row.

Only thing you can do it try try again. I’m sure she will figure it out.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

To me it looks like as a 2yo she did well at 6 furlongs and seemed to thrive on 3 weeks between races. After the SC she is being run ever 2 weeks and at 5 furlongs so maybe she needs more rest and stretched out to 6 furlongs as opposed to 5 furlongs.
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

It could also be a difference in ability. Has she peaked yet? I've noticed some of my horses struggling to regain their 2yo form as 3yo now, but I think it is because their peers were progressive/late bloomers as 2yos that jumped to peak at the start of their 3yo season and are now much more competitive.
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Thanks everyone. I think she was just really good early and then her peers caught up and maybe passed her. But, I wanted to check on the BT thing. Good to know that you can't "break" one with the wrong distance.